Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Difference Between Windows 7 and 8

  1. #31


    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post

    What Desktop programs can you download in the new Windows Store?
    I did that. Lots of apps. I tried a couple. They were just regular "Metro" apps taking up 4 to 8 times more screen area than needed for their function.

    Type "desktop" in the Store search. There are some.
    I did that. There were lots of apps. I tried a couple but they were just regular "Metro" apps taking 4 to 8 times more screen space than needed for their purpose.
    Perhaps we encountered different search results, for I saw some apps that perform via the desktop portal. I think we must keep in mind that the desktop portal now takes second place to the new "Modern" (Metro) Start Screen UI, of which I believe all software will eventually be written for.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Welcome to EightForums, Tanzanos. It's good to have you.

    Just to let you know -> I'm a MS and Windows 8 fanboy. MS, in that it's been an innovative and successful worldwide U.S. corporation from day of inception. The market demand has changed to a touch UI. I'm also an 8 fanboy in that I think MS did an excellent job to create the Windows 8 OS to perform across multiple devices, including the desktop PC. Please name me one OS that performs efficiently this way.

    What an excellent idea! Fisher Price, which is another well established, innovative, and successful company, may just as well adopt this UI for some of there toys. Children will eventually have to learn this modern way of computer navigation, so what better way than by means of an educational toy?

    Again, welcome.
    Thanks for the welcome I too like windows but not all of them. I have been using windows since win 95. Win ME was a big let down. Win Vista? My son has Vista and so far he has not had any problems. win 98 and win 98 SE were OK. XP was excellent as was win 2000. As for win 7 I only moved to it from XP after Classic Shell came out. Classic shell gave me back what was removed from win 7. Windows 8 is a different beast altogether; I am a products designer with international patents to my name and I know that compromises are just that: Compromises.

    To be more precise; When you want anything to suit all uses then you are basically compromising, and this results in almost no one being happy with the results. Most compromises tend to favour one side over the other: Win 8 is designed mainly for touch screen platforms and also for PCs. The problem is that anyone using a keyboard and mouse will feel restricted to say the least.

    If win 8 had retained the OPTIONS of: Classic menus, Start Menu, remove METRO, then win 8 would have been very well accepted. There is no excuse for removing the very options that are familiar and do not compromise on the functionality of the OS. Third party developers moved in to offer these options and are extremely popular.

    Why remove them in the first place unless MS wants to force us to follow a marketing strategy aimed at selling more tablets and smartphones at the expense of PCs?

    I tried to get used to win 8 but it is so unintuitive that I totally gave up. Yes there are bound to be some PC users who like it as is but cross platform philosophy only ends up causing damage. An example is Games; The trend is to develop games for the console market and then port them over to PCs. Smartphones/Tablets/Consoles are basically inferior to PCs and this trend has killed PC gaming and or has decreased the Games potential in PCs due to the restrictions imposed by the consoles which the games were developed for.

    If only MS just installed the options they removed!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanos View Post
    Welcome to EightForums, Tanzanos. It's good to have you.

    Just to let you know -> I'm a MS and Windows 8 fanboy. MS, in that it's been an innovative and successful worldwide U.S. corporation from day of inception. The market demand has changed to a touch UI. I'm also an 8 fanboy in that I think MS did an excellent job to create the Windows 8 OS to perform across multiple devices, including the desktop PC. Please name me one OS that performs efficiently this way.

    What an excellent idea! Fisher Price, which is another well established, innovative, and successful company, may just as well adopt this UI for some of there toys. Children will eventually have to learn this modern way of computer navigation, so what better way than by means of an educational toy?

    Again, welcome.
    Thanks for the welcome I too like windows but not all of them. I have been using windows since win 95. Win ME was a big let down. Win Vista? My son has Vista and so far he has not had any problems. win 98 and win 98 SE were OK. XP was excellent as was win 2000. As for win 7 I only moved to it from XP after Classic Shell came out. Classic shell gave me back what was removed from win 7. Windows 8 is a different beast altogether; I am a products designer with international patents to my name and I know that compromises are just that: Compromises.

    To be more precise; When you want anything to suit all uses then you are basically compromising, and this results in almost no one being happy with the results. Most compromises tend to favour one side over the other: Win 8 is designed mainly for touch screen platforms and also for PCs. The problem is that anyone using a keyboard and mouse will feel restricted to say the least.

    If win 8 had retained the OPTIONS of: Classic menus, Start Menu, remove METRO, then win 8 would have been very well accepted. There is no excuse for removing the very options that are familiar and do not compromise on the functionality of the OS. Third party developers moved in to offer these options and are extremely popular.

    Why remove them in the first place unless MS wants to force us to follow a marketing strategy aimed at selling more tablets and smartphones at the expense of PCs?

    I tried to get used to win 8 but it is so unintuitive that I totally gave up. Yes there are bound to be some PC users who like it as is but cross platform philosophy only ends up causing damage. An example is Games; The trend is to develop games for the console market and then port them over to PCs. Smartphones/Tablets/Consoles are basically inferior to PCs and this trend has killed PC gaming and or has decreased the Games potential in PCs due to the restrictions imposed by the consoles which the games were developed for.

    If only MS just installed the options they removed!
    LOL! I hear the cries loud and clear of all those that find 8 cumbersome with the extreme changes of navigation. But, I believe MS is in a business that must seek this new touch UI market for it to survive. I believe 8 is their "transitional" OS (working across multiple devices) aimed primarily at the general population in their "consumption" use for email, social networks, instant messaging, surfing for news, shopping, etc. I don't think it's an "enterprise" OS, although some businesses may/will adopt it. Business will upgrade or stick with 7. I think MS has a 9 or 10 in mind for enterprise as a whole. Sooner or later, though, everyone will have to adopt to this new means of navigation. I think it to be inevitable.

    Speaking of touch UI. I'm not a power gamer, but my son just told me of a new game controller that has a touch UI screen. This is what all devices and some peripherals will be using -> Touch.

    Lastly, personally it seems if I'm not forced to change in some situations, I won't and don't change.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34



    LOL! I hear the cries loud and clear of all those that find 8 cumbersome with the extreme changes of navigation. But, I believe MS is in a business that must seek this new touch UI market for it to survive. I believe 8 is their "transitional" OS (working across multiple devices) aimed primarily at the general population in their "consumption" use for email, social networks, instant messaging, surfing for news, shopping, etc. I don't think it's an "enterprise" OS, although some businesses may/will adopt it. Business will upgrade or stick with 7. I think MS has a 9 or 10 in mind for enterprise as a whole. Sooner or later, though, everyone will have to adopt to this new means of navigation. I think it to be inevitable.

    Speaking of touch UI. I'm not a power gamer, but my son just told me of a new game controller that has a touch UI screen. This is what all devices and some peripherals will be using -> Touch.

    Lastly, personally it seems if I'm not forced to change in some situations, I won't and don't change.
    I do not doubt the need for MS to move into touch screen platforms but the question remains: "Why on earth did they remove the options?" It makes no sense. How did classic menus option in XP harm the OS in any way? Why did they remove this option in win 7 and 8? It makes no sense at all!

    If I had those options (classic menus, classic start button, METRO removal) then moving to win 8 would not be an issue for me. Also if win 8 METRO is so good then why did they lay off the man behind the development of METRO?

    Perhaps win 9 will take into consideration that an intuitive UI is what people want and not a hide and seek one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanos View Post
    Simple: If you own a tablet or touch screen then you may like win 8; If you have a PC then going to win 8 is basically downgrading your system!
    I've been running Windows 8 for over a month now. About 30 programs and utilities installed. Boots fast, runs well. I can't find the downgraded part.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanos View Post
    Simple: If you own a tablet or touch screen then you may like win 8; If you have a PC then going to win 8 is basically downgrading your system!
    I've been running Windows 8 for over a month now. About 30 programs and utilities installed. Boots fast, runs well. I can't find the downgraded part.
    I have said this before: "Some people will like it"! But If win8 is so good then why did they fire the man who developed it and why are so many people complaining?

    I do not doubt that win8 has some very good features hidden in there somewhere but what good are they when the basic layout (UI) is so difficult to handle? I gave win 8 a chance but reverted back to 7. Perhaps it is just me. OH well; I cannot complain as I have win 7 + Classic Shell and aim to keep it that way!

    Also My son has VISTA and never encountered a single problem! Go figure
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    That, and the new apps for Windows 8 through the new Windows Store, where you can also download Desktop apps as well.
    What Desktop programs can you download in the new Windows Store?
    I seem to remember hitting one the other day, can't remember what it was now though. It didn't actually download in the Windows store though. Instead it linked to its web page for download. After you download and install it you get a tile on your start menu and it launches as a desktop app. Go to the store and look for Adobe Flash professional CS6 and you'll see what I mean. You'll see a "Go to the Publishers Website" blue link.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanos View Post
    Simple: If you own a tablet or touch screen then you may like win 8; If you have a PC then going to win 8 is basically downgrading your system!
    I've been running Windows 8 for over a month now. About 30 programs and utilities installed. Boots fast, runs well. I can't find the downgraded part.
    I have said this before: "Some people will like it"! But If win8 is so good then why did they fire the man who developed it and why are so many people complaining?

    I do not doubt that win8 has some very good features hidden in there somewhere but what good are they when the basic layout (UI) is so difficult to handle? I gave win 8 a chance but reverted back to 7. Perhaps it is just me. OH well; I cannot complain as I have win 7 + Classic Shell and aim to keep it that way!

    Also My son has VISTA and never encountered a single problem! Go figure
    If you are already running Classic Shell on Win 7 then use it in Win 8 too. That's what I do and never see the Start Screen unless I ask for it. Pretty much just a somewhat faster Win 7. (I liked Windows ME until XP was available :-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 99
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanos View Post
    I do not doubt that win8 has some very good features hidden in there somewhere but what good are they when the basic layout (UI) is so difficult to handle? I gave win 8 a chance but reverted back to 7. Perhaps it is just me. OH well; I cannot complain as I have win 7 + Classic Shell and aim to keep it that way!
    Many people don't like change. A great many that complain haven't even used it. It's the same issue with Vista really. The new layout is not difficult at all once you get used to it. I haven't even bothered to use keyboard shortcuts lately. The mouse works just fine within the new interface. That is unless maybe you have an older mouse with a 200-400 dpi or a ball mouse or something.

    Also My son has VISTA and never encountered a single problem! Go figure
    There's nothing wrong with Vista now. Was mostly fixed by SP1. When it was first released, one of the biggest issues was OEMs installing the OS on hardware that couldn't run it optimally. On top of that, many companies would fail to create proper working drivers for it (creative is a good example). NOT saying that MS wasn't at least partially responsible for it crashing and burning upon release, but there are many other factors. XP had many of the same issues when it was first released, by the way, and wasn't really that good until SP2.

    7 is in fact Vista.1 (windows 6.1) and is simply a better optimized Vista with a different task bar. I also remember people griping about the new taskbar in 7, despite the fact that it's so much better. People will get used to the start screen. It simply takes time. Those that don't, well, at least they tried it and didn't like it. By that point, 3rd party start menus work well, I guess.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post

    Many people don't like change. A great many that complain haven't even used it. It's the same issue with Vista really. The new layout is not difficult at all once you get used to it. I haven't even bothered to use keyboard shortcuts lately. The mouse works just fine within the new interface. That is unless maybe you have an older mouse with a 200-400 dpi or a ball mouse or something.

    There's nothing wrong with Vista now. Was mostly fixed by SP1. When it was first released, one of the biggest issues was OEMs installing the OS on hardware that couldn't run it optimally. On top of that, many companies would fail to create proper working drivers for it (creative is a good example). NOT saying that MS wasn't at least partially responsible for it crashing and burning upon release, but there are many other factors. XP had many of the same issues when it was first released, by the way, and wasn't really that good until SP2.

    7 is in fact Vista.1 (windows 6.1) and is simply a better optimized Vista with a different task bar. I also remember people griping about the new taskbar in 7, despite the fact that it's so much better. People will get used to the start screen. It simply takes time. Those that don't, well, at least they tried it and didn't like it. By that point, 3rd party start menus work well, I guess.
    I am sorry but I do not agree with the mentality that change is always good and that people must accept it. Also the notion the we will eventually get used to it is wrong.

    The wheel has been around for thousands of years and has not changed in basic design. All that has happened is it has been refined. Windows has been around for years and it has been refined but windows 8 comes along and redesigned the wheel into a square one; Perfect for parking without a hand brake and this square wheel has dampening systems that give you a good and smooth ride. You just have to get used to this new square wheel. Eventually you will learn to use it.

    Well I still after all these years cannot come to grips with the HORRID RIBBON interface that is totally UNintuitive and takes up screen space and you expect me to accept the METRO interface?

    Change for change sake is not good. Change for progress is good. As a product designer I can tell you that some things are so perfectly designed or suited to their environment that at best you can only refine them and not change them grossly like with METRO. METRO is purely designed for smartphones and tablets and not suitable for PC use. Some of the things that have not changed or changed very little (Refined) are the following: Sharks, cockroaches, knife, fork, wheel; Are a few designs. Sharks cannot live on land as they were designed for aquatic life but MS comes along and says "We have designed this new shark to live on land in a special aquarium". But you may say that what good is the shark in an aquarium? MS replies: "It will get used to it".

    Get my drift?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Difference Between Windows 7 and 8
Related Threads
Is there much difference? in General Support
i5 4210u 4gb - 379 v i7-4500U 6gb - 440
Solved what is the difference in General Support
Hi all i have just got a free update to 8.1 apart from a few nice colour changes can anyone tell me the difference. Thanks in advance Dell:confused:
Hi What is the difference between the version of hyper-v available in 1:- Windows 8 and windows server 2012. 1:- Windows 8.1 and windows server 2012 r2. And what is the version of hyper-v in each os version. Thanks
Hi, I was wondering what the difference between windows 8 and windows RT, Is windows RT a new os like windows 8, because im configure. thanks
Dear Brink, What is the difference between Windows 8 pro upgrade (64 bit) (2.68 GB) installation media and Windows 8 (64 bit) installation media en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440 (3.42 GB)?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook