Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is Start Menu really matter?

  1. #131


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    "Honest Opinions" are a touchy subject. Most of the opinions people throw about are because they have various assumptions, which typically are incorrect.

    Windows 8 is two OS's, and it's a transitionary OS from one to another. One should look at this as they would any appliance they might buy. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Don't whine because it's not a different appliance, but rather buy that other appliance instead.

    In other words, if you want Windows 8 to be Windows 7, you will be disappointed. It doesn't matter if your opinion is honest or not. Windows 8 is *NOT* Windows 7, so complaining that it's not is pointless.
    I think that you're being somewhat disparaging to the vast level of experience on this forum. Yes, some are beating a personal agenda , for whatever reason, but the comments made by many are reasonable and valid.

    Windows 8 is not a multiple OS, it is one OS but has two interface options. The Modern interface is the Microsoft preferred interface, as it blends in with the phone OS and conceivably other options that may be in the wind. It's a simplified interface that serves a valid purpose, but not every purpose.

    And 'appliance' has nothing to do with the OS. A tablet is an appliance, a phone is an appliance, a PC is an appliance, your TV, your car multi-purpose head unit etc are all appliances. All of these devices depend on an underlying OS and clearly Microsoft is trying to unify the OS (or rather the interface) into a common theme. That's all well and good, when it works.

    But when it doesn't work, that's when it falls apart. I have just been working on a series of documents where I have to review Excel, Word and PDF documents, pretty much at the same time, and read associated emails, and there is no way that I could do that comfortably using the Modern interface, if it were possible under the current 'apps' scenario. I need the desktop environment and my dual screens (three would sometimes be nice) to work effectively.

    The OS itself offers some significant improvements over Windows 7, as it should, and using third party software, you can use the OS in the same manner as you can with Windows 7. But you shouldn't have to use third party software to do that, it should be native in Windows 8 to cater to those who work with complex, multi-dimensional activities.

    People are providing valid feedback and I'll bet my left procreation organ that Microsoft is reading comments on this forum.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #132


    Posts : 162
    Windows 8 Pro


    We are getting off topic......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #133


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by darvin View Post
    Look I have worked in QE (QA) and no matter how loud you scream or cry you're not going to convince a company to continue to test all operating systems.
    No, but if the majority of their users continue to use Windows 7, then they will certainly continue to keep supporting it. It's really that simple. If you think Windows 8 will be the failure you claim it will be, then there shouldn't be any concern. Everyone will simply stay with 7, and app devs will continue to support it.

    If, however, you end up in the minority, all bets are off. The minority does not dictate the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by darvin View Post
    I am not saying that it's not a transnational OS. There is just little to no integration between the two at this time. This is why it creates a number of problems for the traditional Windows user. There should have been more transition built in to the OS. That could appease both the average user and the IT guys.
    And there will be less and less integration between the two systems as Metro becomes the primary OS. Metro will improve, and it will pick up more of the functions of the desktop. More than likely what you suggest WILL happen, but in the reverse. Desktop apps will become the background VM and run in Metro.

    Quote Originally Posted by darvin View Post
    Why couldn't they just have run Metro as a desktop app? It could be kept running in the background and updating all the time. Instead, it's the main screen when you start. Do you really think anyone running a desktop at a company has any use for that? Of course not. They want to get to the apps they use to get their work done. But as is obvious from the outcry, they feel Metro gets in the way of work.
    I fail to see why the start screen has any problems working in an enterprise environment. In fact, the new Windows Server 2012 has a start screen as well, and it is solely for enterprise functions. The start screen, despite many complaints to the contrary, is very unintrusive. It make take over the screen, but it gets out of the way as soon as you select something.. bringing you right back to where you were. It only comes up when you command it to, so it's not jumping in your face without your bidding (like the UAC prompts, for instance).

    Quote Originally Posted by darvin View Post
    Look, you are thinking I personally somehow don't like Windows 8. But I know I can configure it the way I want it. My doctor, my boss, my mom, sister.... the average user will be frustrated and I doubt it's in any way going to get them to give up their iPhone or Android. Developers can develop all they want. If no one is using it, it does little good.
    An average user will simply adapt. People start using alien user interfaces all the time. New TV's, new cars, new web pages.. Average people just need to figure out how to start the apps they want, and then they're done. This is an age old argument from authority fallacy.. you think you know what will happen. You think you know people will be frustrated. And they might be.. for a day or two.. then it will become the new normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by darvin View Post
    From my Google search, it appears that income for developers that develop both iPhone and Android apps are seeing about a 60% - 80% return on their Android sales. The concept that developers are not seeing income from Android apps is simple to disprove and I cannot imagine that anyone is yet to see large profits from Windows phones. There just are not enough of them. Besides, free apps are often paid for by ads.
    Yes, on android nearly all revenue comes from ad sales. not app sales. Rovio (makers of Angry birds) basically released all their apps on Android as ad supported only, because they were making no sales on apps themselves. I didn't say people didn't make money on Android, I was talking about app sales. People have found ways to get income.

    Quote Originally Posted by darvin View Post
    FWIW, I want Windows 8 to succeed. But I have a feeling this may go the way of Windows Me. Regardless I am a long time Windows fan and I will be using 8 at least until 9 arrives. So don't feel you need to convince me.
    This has nothing to do with being a fan. It's about understanding the reasons behind the changes, and the direction that Windows is headed.

    The biggest problem people have is that their frame of mind when using 8 is that it's supposed to be an improved 7. It's not supposed to be that, it's supposed to be a transition to a new OS, one that is more scalable and adaptable to new directions in computing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #134


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Windows 8 is not a multiple OS, it is one OS but has two interface options. The Modern interface is the Microsoft preferred interface, as it blends in with the phone OS and conceivably other options that may be in the wind. It's a simplified interface that serves a valid purpose, but not every purpose.
    No, it's not. Windows 8 *IS* two different OS's. Two *COMPLETELY* different OS's. It's not just a new UI, it's a totally new OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #135


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    People can get used to anything. I find it funny that "you get used to it" is posited as any kind of reason to call it "good". I don't think I have yet seen an opinion from a Windows 8 user that said, "I prefer the Metro UI on my non-touch-screen laptop or desktop because I can do my application work more efficiently or more easily". What I hear are things like, "I got used to it" or "It's k00l" or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I adapt to new technologies rather well and can usually realize the benefit of something new to my way of working. But Windows 8 Metro UI doesn't do it for me on a non-touch machine. I'm sure it's wonderful on a smart phone or tablet. So given that Windows 8 only offers me two UI options: Metro or "classic desktop". I choose the latter, with the addition of a 3rd party start menu to get at things more quickly. If/when Metro improves for the non-touch screens, or the non-touch devices just go away and we're all using tablets, then I'll be there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #136


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    No, it's not. Windows 8 *IS* two different OS's. Two *COMPLETELY* different OS's. It's not just a new UI, it's a totally new OS.
    Could you explain this position with some information? You might start by providing your definition of "operating system".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #137


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    I have yet seen an opinion from a Windows 8 user that said, "I prefer the Metro UI on my non-touch-screen laptop or desktop because I can do my application work more efficiently or more easily"
    Here it is...
    Absolutely ! > I prefer the Metro UI on my non-touch-screen laptop or desktop because I can do my application work more efficiently or more easily !
    The start screen is a beautiful thing.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #138


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. It's just a UI, and I have to use hundreds of them every day (every web page is a new UI to figure out, after all).

    I understand the reasons behind the UI, and that makes it easy to understand and accept. It makes sense. I feel most people that don't like Metro don't understand the reasons behind it, or have incorrect assumptions about it. I also understand that it's a version 1, and it will grow and improve, but it can't do that if we don't use it and generate the need for it.

    It's perfectly fine to only use the desktop. Or use Metro for the things it's good at, such as weather apps, video and and radio apps, etc.. I also enjoy using it for note taking and what not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #139


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    I have yet seen an opinion from a Windows 8 user that said, "I prefer the Metro UI on my non-touch-screen laptop or desktop because I can do my application work more efficiently or more easily"
    Here it is...
    Absolutely ! > I prefer the Metro UI on my non-touch-screen laptop or desktop because I can do my application work more efficiently or more easily !
    The start screen is a beautiful thing.

    Click image for larger version
    This is one of the problems with this industry....people find things that look like that, beautiful
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #140


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    This is one of the problems with this industry....people find things that look like that, beautiful
    I know. How disgusting, useless, offensive, unintuitive, jarring, awkward, repugnant, difficult, ugly, ... etc
    not fit for purpose.

    This is much, much, much, much, much, much, better
    I love sub, sub, sub, sub, sub, nesting

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Is Start Menu really matter?
Related Threads
3 days before my Windows 8.1 pc wasn't working during log in it showed up with "The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign in." I posted this thread but no one replied then back yesterday I ran it into Safe Mode and used the CMD and put these "sfc/scannow" then the PC booted...
I actually have no beef with the Win 8.1 Start menu, but the colors of the regular desktop environment are killing me. Namely, the weird, off-off white of the menus. The High-Contrast White option under Personalization gives me the right color for the menu backgrounds but everything else about the...
Im referring to this bottom menu; 43692 when I right click my app/programs, nothing pops up below. I also cant rearrange tiles, groups and stuff. Any help. Thanks
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Why The Windows Blue Start Button Debate Doesn’t Really Matter | Lifehacker Australia
Hi All, I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it. Any ideas? My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/Capture.png Others' Menu:...
Today I found a good solution to the start menu problem in windows 8. Aston menu worked fine and very good and returned the familiar customized XP look and feel I Changed the program Icon and pinned it to task-bar and moved it to the extreme left you can try it for 30...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook