Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How's everyones Windows 8 experience going?

  1. #71


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    If there's one thing that's stopping me from moving over to Win 8 on my tablet, it's the fact that I can't run the tablet's native resolution of 1024 x 600, but have to spoof the registry to get the required minimum of 1366 x 758. The latter causes the text and other visuals in the desktop to deform, which is some applications is unacceptable.

    I don't quite understand why the Modern interface requires the higher screen resolution, when the Modern interface icons display quite well at the lower resolution, but accessing apps is simply prevented. A lot of legacy tablets could work fine with Windows 8 if the lower resolutions were supported. Maybe this was simply a marketing move, to force sales of the latest tablets etc?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Posts : 3
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    I am......
    That said, I will only share I give this OS a 2 out of 10 right now.

    Harlan
    Welcome to Eight Forums, Harlan. Good to have you.

    LOL! Not to worry about posting your rating on Windows 8. No one will shoot you for that. Most will respect it. A fair warning to you, though. If/when you post your reasons why you rate it as such is when you'll probably face the firing squad!
    Thanks HippsieGypsie:
    I am not too worried about the firing squad, more that I want to convey with out irritating.
    At this time I will just say I am regretting the new OS, it is the most annoying child I have ever had to deal with
    I am finding that the trinket features are interfering with getting work done, and so far have not found a way to disable them.
    Moving up has meant spending more $$ due to lack of backwards compatibility, in both hardware and software. Having to run everything as administrator is adding steps to a process, and then being asked if I want to do what I asked a computer to do, is wasting my time.
    Interesting in how the developers are treating the users! I was fairly sure I wouldn't try to open something if I had not wanted to run it.
    So there is my beef for starts.
    Cheers

    Harlan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    I am......
    That said, I will only share I give this OS a 2 out of 10 right now.

    Harlan
    Welcome to Eight Forums, Harlan. Good to have you.

    LOL! Not to worry about posting your rating on Windows 8. No one will shoot you for that. Most will respect it. A fair warning to you, though. If/when you post your reasons why you rate it as such is when you'll probably face the firing squad!
    Thanks HippsieGypsie:
    I am not too worried about the firing squad, more that I want to convey with out irritating.
    At this time I will just say I am regretting the new OS, it is the most annoying child I have ever had to deal with
    I am finding that the trinket features are interfering with getting work done, and so far have not found a way to disable them.
    Moving up has meant spending more $$ due to lack of backwards compatibility, in both hardware and software. Having to run everything as administrator is adding steps to a process, and then being asked if I want to do what I asked a computer to do, is wasting my time.
    Interesting in how the developers are treating the users! I was fairly sure I wouldn't try to open something if I had not wanted to run it.
    So there is my beef for starts.
    Cheers

    Harlan
    Can you post your Start Screen?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    At this time I will just say I am regretting the new OS, it is the most annoying child I have ever had to deal with
    Actually, vague hand wavy comments are far more enfuriating than just coming out and saying what the issue is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    I am finding that the trinket features are interfering with getting work done, and so far have not found a way to disable them.
    Perhaps you'd like to be more specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    Moving up has meant spending more $$ due to lack of backwards compatibility, in both hardware and software. Having to run everything as administrator is adding steps to a process, and then being asked if I want to do what I asked a computer to do, is wasting my time.
    What are you upgrading from? Windows 95?

    Windows 8, compatibility wise, is more or less identical in compatibility to Windows 7. I have yet to find a single app that worked on 7 that won't work on 8. Every piece of hardware, more than 30 different printers, a dozens of video cards, etc.. all work.

    The only exception I know of is CPU's (and in some cases BIOS's) that do not support the NX bit, which 8 added as a requirement. However, every CPU in the last 5 or 6 years supports this.

    What do you mean by running everything as administrator? I run nothing as administrator, other than apps that directly access the hardware (like Riva Tuner). It sounds like you have a configuration problem, or maybe a failed upgrade (you did do a clean install, didn't you?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harlantk View Post
    Interesting in how the developers are treating the users! I was fairly sure I wouldn't try to open something if I had not wanted to run it.
    Is this your first experience with UAC? This is nothing new. And the issue isn't whether YOU started something, it's whether a piece of malware started it, and is trying to destroy your system, steal your banking information, or setup email spam zombies that will get your internet connection suspended by your ISP.

    UAC's purpose is to protect you in case a rogue application gets into your system. In a properly configured system, it should rarely show itself. Only when doing an administrative task.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    aside from one instance of stupidly thinking I could trust windows update(set it to allow important updates only), and then spending an hour redoing 8 hours of work spread over two days...

    I love windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    If there's one thing that's stopping me from moving over to Win 8 on my tablet, it's the fact that I can't run the tablet's native resolution of 1024 x 600, but have to spoof the registry to get the required minimum of 1366 x 758. The latter causes the text and other visuals in the desktop to deform, which is some applications is unacceptable.

    I don't quite understand why the Modern interface requires the higher screen resolution, when the Modern interface icons display quite well at the lower resolution, but accessing apps is simply prevented. A lot of legacy tablets could work fine with Windows 8 if the lower resolutions were supported. Maybe this was simply a marketing move, to force sales of the latest tablets etc?
    Agree, with the block of access for Metro Apps on screen resolution less than 1024x768, hinders users to upgrade to Windows 8.
    Note that netbooks are booming in Indonesia, and most of them uses 1024x600. Only way to use the metro apps is by changing Display1_DownscalingSupported on registry.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 419
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Can we please avoid having every thread taken over by ranting about the same things?

    Please post in an existing rant thread, or start a new one.
    Kinda have to agree here. What we need is an all in one rant thread where everyone can just post their rants about the OS.

    I wouldn't participate since Windows 8 is awesome for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    "How's Everyone's Windows 8 Experience Going?" is a fairly open ended question.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Posts : 419
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    "How's Everyone's Windows 8 Experience Going?" is a fairly open ended question.
    True, but one should not hijack threads just to rant and not give any details as to why. Ranting for the sake of ranting should be considered spam, especially when trying to hijack threads such as this one.

    Not having a good Windows 8 experience? That's fine, tell us why in a respectful civil manner and maybe the W8F community can help make it better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    "How's Everyone's Windows 8 Experience Going?" is a fairly open ended question.
    True, but one should not hijack threads just to rant and not give any details as to why. Ranting for the sake of ranting should be considered spam, especially when trying to hijack threads such as this one.

    Not having a good Windows 8 experience? That's fine, tell us why in a respectful civil manner and maybe the W8F community can help make it better.
    Understood. Rants occur on both sides and are hard to control. If you ask for an opinion regarding Windows 8, I see unsubstantiated or very subjective claims stated in absolute terms from all sorts of directions (e.g., "Metro sucks raw eggs", or "Metro is just so uber cool", etc). There are other claims that sound good but are also unsubstantiated, such as "Windows 8 helps me work more efficiently" or "I need a start menu to work more efficiently". Without examples, it's just a pissing contest.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
How's everyones Windows 8 experience going?
Related Threads
windows experience index went down in Performance & Maintenance
it went down from 5.8 to 5.6 and i need to know why
When I run WEI it stops after a while and displays a message in Windows System Assessment Tool : "WSAT has stopped working.(A problem caused the program to stop working properly)". What can I do to make it work ?
Windows 8 Experience Index Oddness in Performance & Maintenance
Just bought a new laptop. It came with a 750 GB 5400 RPM drive so I'm currently creating recovery media so I can quickly copy everything to a SATA III SSD I bought which will serve as the OS drive afterwards. As such I haven't installed any games yet to find out whether there's an actual issue,...
Solved Windows Experience Index won't run in Performance & Maintenance
I did a clean install of Windows 8 Enterprise N, installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and tried to run WEI but it says: The Windows Experience Index for your system could not be computed. Cannot complete the requested assessment. This system does not have the necessary multi-media support to...
Source: Creating the Windows 8 user experience - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
More...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook