Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


The direction of Windows

  1. #31


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    A WinRT tablet has almost arguably inferior hardware to the iPad, and has practically equivalent hardware with cheaper Android tabs. But since it's running "windows," I'm not getting screwed over at all.....
    Hardly. First, the part most people forget is that the Surface is not the only Windows 8 tablet out there. There are a number of them, with more planned early next year. And these the gamut from large phones to 20" tablets (yes, 20").

    Second, the Surface itself has unarguably better hardware in every respect than the iPad other than the Retina display. Hell, having real USB ports alone is a huge bonus, plus SD slots. Having a wired-in keyboard is also a huge advantage.

    People keep saying the RT is overpriced, but it gives you better hardware than an iPad for the same price.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Media Center is only free through Jan 2013. After that, any windows sold will require a fee to upgrade.

    You can't use the 2 months of promotional pricing to judge what things are going to cost over the next 3 years of windows 8 lifetime :/

    And a short comment about the cloud. The "cloud" (the new marketing buzzword for "the internet") alone does not stipulate any particular pay options. BUT, every company out there is working on continuous revenue stream subscription service models. MS, Adobe etc. Sure they are options NOW, but the fact is, these subscriptions cost 2-5 times what a normal person would spend by buying a software package and using for a reasonable amount of time. They are GOLD MINES for the companies involved. It is very right to be concerned about the state of the future of software use. Purchase vs rental. Don't just sit back and watch it happen THEN freak out about it. Make sure everyone knows that spending $30 a month ($20 if you buy a year at a time) for the right to use Photoshop had better NOT become the ONLY way to use it. I can guarantee you Adobe wants it that way. And that is NOT fear mongering.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    People keep saying the RT is overpriced, but it gives you better hardware than an iPad for the same price.
    But what about the "Experience"? I don't know that many people who bought an iPad because it had "super awesome hardware". No, the hardware specs themselves or the lack of external cards, or ports...never seemed to bother an iPad user at all. They bought it for the experience, it was shiny, it had good apps via the app store, and practically everybody has one and they all rave about it. Microsoft certainly needs THAT for Surface to really take off. We can give it the most awesome hardware ever...but without a strong desire to use it, what's the point?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    But what about the "Experience"? I don't know that many people who bought an iPad because it had "super awesome hardware". No, the hardware specs themselves or the lack of external cards, or ports...never seemed to bother an iPad user at all. They bought it for the experience, it was shiny, it had good apps via the app store, and practically everybody has one and they all rave about it. Microsoft certainly needs THAT for Surface to really take off. We can give it the most awesome hardware ever...but without a strong desire to use it, what's the point?
    Neither the iPad or the iPod started out with a billion mature apps. Hell, the iOS "experience" is much better than Android, and Android has been around for years. Apps on Android tend to be less polished, and less mature on average.

    However, Many of the iOS app writers are porting their apps to Metro because Microsoft has made it very easy for them to do so. In 6 months or a year, Apps will not be an advantage of iOS, and arguably Metro may have better apps given Microsofts huge investment in getting people to write apps for it.

    Please, don't mistake immaturity with "inferior". Immature is cured with time, inferior is not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 354
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V


    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    So you limit could computing only to storage spaces ? and you ask me if I know about cloud computing ?
    For the consumer, yes, I limit cloud computing to storage spaces - and I include Google Docs and Office via SkyDrive as storage spaces.

    What about Desktop virtualisation ? where the OS will run on clouds servers ? ( this is where I start my conspiracy, where you gone have a monthly bill)
    I seriously doubt that VDI will become part of the non-enterprise world. On the other hand, an enterprise will either have their own private cloud (either in their data centre or co-located) or will pay for hosting. This isn't any different than the current data centre model.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    But what about the "Experience"? I don't know that many people who bought an iPad because it had "super awesome hardware". No, the hardware specs themselves or the lack of external cards, or ports...never seemed to bother an iPad user at all. They bought it for the experience, it was shiny, it had good apps via the app store, and practically everybody has one and they all rave about it. Microsoft certainly needs THAT for Surface to really take off. We can give it the most awesome hardware ever...but without a strong desire to use it, what's the point?
    Neither the iPad or the iPod started out with a billion mature apps. Hell, the iOS "experience" is much better than Android, and Android has been around for years. Apps on Android tend to be less polished, and less mature on average.

    However, Many of the iOS app writers are porting their apps to Metro because Microsoft has made it very easy for them to do so. In 6 months or a year, Apps will not be an advantage of iOS, and arguably Metro may have better apps given Microsofts huge investment in getting people to write apps for it.

    Please, don't mistake immaturity with "inferior". Immature is cured with time, inferior is not.
    No, they didn't have tons of apps, but people still wanted them, they loved the experience and they still rave to everybody that you should get an iPad, iPhone, or iPod. It certainly wasn't the hardware that made them successful, it was implementation and the experience.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    People keep saying the RT is overpriced, but it gives you better hardware than an iPad for the same price.
    But what about the "Experience"? I don't know that many people who bought an iPad because it had "super awesome hardware". No, the hardware specs themselves or the lack of external cards, or ports...never seemed to bother an iPad user at all. They bought it for the experience, it was shiny, it had good apps via the app store, and practically everybody has one and they all rave about it. Microsoft certainly needs THAT for Surface to really take off. We can give it the most awesome hardware ever...but without a strong desire to use it, what's the point?
    I don't think most ipad users have half a billion apps installed on their ipads...if they did, they would have to use apple for saying you can have access to half a billion apps but can't without hassle.

    But setting that aside and hardware: Office. No one goes to buy an ipad for Office. No one goes to buy an ipad so they can upload a Word document or to print said document. A Swiss Army knife is more worthwhile than having a expensive knife that can cut through a boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    People keep saying the RT is overpriced, but it gives you better hardware than an iPad for the same price.
    But what about the "Experience"? I don't know that many people who bought an iPad because it had "super awesome hardware". No, the hardware specs themselves or the lack of external cards, or ports...never seemed to bother an iPad user at all. They bought it for the experience, it was shiny, it had good apps via the app store, and practically everybody has one and they all rave about it. Microsoft certainly needs THAT for Surface to really take off. We can give it the most awesome hardware ever...but without a strong desire to use it, what's the point?
    I don't think most ipad users have half a billion apps installed on their ipads...if they did, they would have to use apple for saying you can have access to half a billion apps but can't without hassle.

    But setting that aside and hardware: Office. No one goes to buy an ipad for Office. No one goes to buy an ipad so they can upload a Word document or to print said document. A Swiss Army knife is more worthwhile than having a expensive knife that can cut through a boot.
    And likely almost everybody who bought an iPad found that they can live quite happily without office. I don't hear many complaints about how they would love they their iPad if it only had office.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    If Windows 8 was truly a great Operating System, it wouldn't be necessary for MS fanbois to have to convince me of it's greatness. Nobody had to tell me that Windows 7 was great, it was that obvious.
    By the way. I'm not trying to convince you that it's great. Not in the least. I disagree with your characterization of the usability of the OS, and I'm merely addressing your factually incorrect statements about it, and pointing out that you express opinions as fact.

    The real interesting thing is, if Windows 8 sucks so bad, then it shouldn't be necessary for you to try and convince others that it does. It should be obvious.

    Why do you feel the need to constantly post to a support board for a product you don't like, refuse to use, and refuse to look at objectively?

    The difference between us is that you ARE trying to convince others that your opinion is correct. I won't argue that you don't like it. Obviously you don't. Just stop saying things that aren't true to support that opinion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    I seriously doubt that VDI will become part of the non-enterprise world..
    I will try to find for you the article on the research center Google have in US for the only purpose of offering Virtual Desktop to everyone, Citrix, Vmware do the same and of course Microsoft. If you look at Chrome OS, it's clear that Google don't want we use PC.

    I must say that I have less concern using Microsoft than Google for this purpose. I really love to use Servers 2012 Essential combine with Office 365 to host on the cloud the exchange servers, it's way less trouble to manage. Business customers freak when they lost their email for more than 5 minutes. And the integration of Office 365 and Server 2012 essential is amazing. So easy to manage. The remote web access is very nice too. As you see I love many products of Microsoft, it's just the way they implement the metro to Windows 8 that I hate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
The direction of Windows
Related Threads
Should I dread MS's new MS account oriented direction. in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have an iPad and a iPhone and understand that Microsoft wants to head Windows in that direction with their accounts/apps, but I have TB's of files I do not want anywhere near a cloud. I suppose if Microsoft, more likely the NSA, want access to that they could always backdoor it, but at least...
Microsoft media exec resigns due to company's 'direction' | Microsoft - CNET News
How to Turn On or Off Reverse Scrolling Direction of Precision Touchpad in Windows 8.1 A certified Windows Precision Touchpad is a new class of input devices that provide high precision pointer input and gesture functionality. By default, these devices generate ultra-high precision scroll...
This will be a rant, or some thoughts I have on tablets, Microsoft, Ram and Hard drives, and the direction Microsoft and others are going. I'm a PC user, that doesn't own a smartphone or table either windows or android. I have been looking at windows tablets and android tablets in general to get...
Hello to all long time since posting for help (Win Vista days). Recently my MOBO died and the knowledgeable tech at micro center suggested I upgrade to Win 8 in the process as he felt Vista OS would provide to many headaches with all the new hardware. With that being said I completed the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook