Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Bored with Metro already and other thoughts

  1. #21


    Posts : 162
    Windows 8 Pro


    Sorry to hear you are having problems. I did a clean install and so far the only problems has been one of my 16GB flash drives will not work and two programs would not start. I don't remember for sure which two. I think one of them was Xilisoft Video Converter. Other than that all has been good.

    In general I wonder why some people are having so many problems. When do the problems start, right from the start of installing Windows 8 or after installing a bunch of software? What about hardware conflicts, how big of problem? Can one brand of motherboard, video card ect. be ok and others give problems?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Also, Acronis would not work until upgraded to the version compatible with 8.
    I've got the 2012 version of Acronis which is incompatible, but there is a work around. Create an Acronis Recovery CD, use it to load onto RAM at startup, and you can create/restore Acronis image of Windows 8 OS.

    Only thing you can't do is validate the image. I've been able to validate Acronis images of PCs I've reloaded for third parties, using Acronis loaded on Vista or Win7. However, when I tried to validate the Acronis image of Win8 using Acronis loaded onto Win7, it caused BSOD on Win7.

    Even so, took a punt and reloaded Acronis image of Win8 without validation to test it, using recovery CD and it worked fine. If it failed I would have needed to do a full re-install.

    Cheers M
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Good post, not much to argue with.

    But I disagree about Safe Mode boot. From over a year of using Windows 8, I've literally never had to use Safe Mode. This is considering I've used a Windows 8 To Go drive across several PCs, and a few other PC's I've installed Windows 8 on. Heck, I intentionally had to boot into Safe Mode to see if it was still there! By the way, it is and it's really weird to see Taskbar transparency...

    This was done because the boot time of Windows 8 is so fast as it is, pair that with UEFI BIOS, it's almost impossible to get into the advanced boot options. Windows 8 works around that and only presents the advanced boot options WHEN and only WHEN the PC has been booted up several times and the power gets killed or keeps restarting due to some other issue. I think this is a good thing, no more having to see the advanced boot options every time your battery runs out of power.

    I also disagree with the mac clone on the Desktop. Far from it. Even still, Windows 7 had the mac clone thing going on. Windows 8 has that, but the Start Screen refutes that. Speaking of the Start Screen and personalizing, there are over 16 different colors and I think 25 different patterns. LOTS of combinations there. Or, if you go with a third party route, you can customize those colors INFINTITELY. Right now on my desktop, I have a picture of a Start Screen background that I once had with the Developer Preview that is black and has some translucent tiles on the top and bottom. Then I have black tiles, along with a blue accent color. Or, I can have red tiles or blue tiles with that black background. The other day, a friend of mine customized her Start Screen to be more teal and has an ocean vibe to it. You can even have images on the Start Screen to be like the slide show feature on the Desktop. Third party options are out there, like there are for start menus, but in all honesty, a good Start Screen replaces any need for a start menu. If you click on the lower left hand corner of the Taskbar to get to Start like always, put your commonly accessed Desktop items on the left hand side of the screen.

    By the way the app I mention is Decor8 by StarDock.

    I would also suggest getting a touch enabled mouse. I've updated my Microsoft Touch Mouse and now have support for the gestures for Windows 8. I've got real used to using the Charms bar and hot corners, but the touch gesturing really seals the deal!

    And lastly, I disagree with your idea on Windows 8 tablets doing poorly. Couldn't be more far off, Windows 8 tablet PCs offer A HUGE, VAST amounts of versatility and flexibility that no neutered smartphone tablet can even touch, no pun intended. Running proper Office software, AutoCAD, and even iTunes to manage your ipad cannot EVER be done on android let alone a giant ipod touch. That, and how greatly different it looks and feels and acts differentiates themselves over the ipad, which again has a stale looking UI that has been around for far too long, and over android tablets, which are usually knockoffs of ipads with UIs and limited capabilities that make you ask, "WHY?!" I also think Microsoft wasn't too late with touch, or too early, considering they've been working with touch since the early 2000s and even earlier in the '90s. Windows 8 is the first time however, touch is literally on over 90% of new PCs built today, so it's not like a 3DTV thing where only a couple manufacturers make them.

    Lastly, everyone will pretty much tell you, don't do an upgrade install. Those are usually crapshoots that end up with more weird things going on than you'd like.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    Upgrade installs CAN be crap-shoots, as I am only too well aware.

    But I did an u/g install of the W8 CP over my W7 Ultimate setup
    on the other laptop last March/April, just to see how it would go.

    It 'pinged' SIW as being incompatible, and I had to uninstall MSE, but that
    installation was rock-solid until I set it back to W7 a couple of days ago.

    But no, I don't really recommend it, especially for newbies.


    EDIT: - This 64-bit RTM is a standalone install, not an upgrade.
    Last edited by Kat; 14 Nov 2012 at 23:34.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Windows 8 is the first time however, touch is literally on over 90% of new PCs built today, so it's not like a 3DTV thing where only a couple manufacturers make them.
    What? Am I reading this right and are you trying to say that 90% of the pre-built PC market are machines that include a full Touch screen system? If that's what you mean, this is GROSSLY over stated.

    There also aren't "a couple" TV manufacturers making 3DTV models, almost every company that means anything in the TV market is - and sometimes it's barely more expensive than a model without the technology. However, this is a bad analogy, it's not like TV manufacturers are saying "every TV made after 'X' date has 3D whether you want it or not".

    The biggest market for touch for the desktop are armchair techies or the Average Joe, for the wow factor. There is essentially zero practical use for someone at a desktop 8-10 hours a day to use touch.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I have windows 7 for three years or so as my main os - never needed to enter safe mode .


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    But I disagree about Safe Mode boot. From over a year of using Windows 8, I've literally never had to use Safe Mode. This is considering I've used a Windows 8 To Go drive across several PCs, and a few other PC's I've installed Windows 8 on. Heck, I intentionally had to boot into Safe Mode to see if it was still there! By the way, it is and it's really weird to see Taskbar transparency...
    Is it ? Maybe if you are using hybrid boot. I don't because I am multibooting. Not sure why, but win8 is the slowest boot of all my o/s.

    Not a huge problem - few seconds here or there - who cares.

    This was done because the boot time of Windows 8 is so fast as it is
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Regarding your problem under 2), may I suggest that you try toolbars. Works well for me in /8. Toolbars - How to Use in Windows 7 and Vista - Windows 7 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Maybe if you are using hybrid boot. I don't because I am multibooting. Not sure why, but win8 is the slowest boot of all my o/s.

    Not a huge problem - few seconds here or there - who cares.
    I have to agree: without hybrid boot, 7 beats 8.
    I just saw it om my machine, tested with and without the hybrid settings. You notice the difference right away.
    Win7 was on another machine but 8 has UEFI as a bonus.

    But what can possibly be going on there?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    UEFI is anything BUT a bonus.

    Quite the contrary.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I have windows 7 for three years or so as my main os - never needed to enter safe mode .


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    But I disagree about Safe Mode boot. From over a year of using Windows 8, I've literally never had to use Safe Mode. This is considering I've used a Windows 8 To Go drive across several PCs, and a few other PC's I've installed Windows 8 on. Heck, I intentionally had to boot into Safe Mode to see if it was still there! By the way, it is and it's really weird to see Taskbar transparency...
    Is it ? Maybe if you are using hybrid boot. I don't because I am multibooting. Not sure why, but win8 is the slowest boot of all my o/s.

    Not a huge problem - few seconds here or there - who cares.

    This was done because the boot time of Windows 8 is so fast as it is
    A few seconds sure, it doesn't matter. You really need to use a new Windows 8 PC with UEFI BIOS along with a SSD, where Windows is tightly more integrated with the chipset, like with Secure Boot. You may not care for a few seconds shaven off a boot time, but that few seconds ends up becoming the ENTIRE boot time, from POST to Start. I for one like fast boot times over needing advanced boot options that I probably will only need to resolve malware issues, even then, that's once every blue moon.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Bored with Metro already and other thoughts
Related Threads
Solved Thoughts on this model PC in General Support
Look for opinion on this brand and model PC CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502) Desktop PCIntel Core i7 5820K (3.30GHz) 8GB DDR4 1TB HDD 120GB SSD Windows 8.1 64-bit - Newegg.com ASUS G30AB-US001S Desktop PC Intel Core i7 4770K (3.50GHz) 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 8.1 64-Bit - Newegg.com ...
Solved Bored in Chillout Room
I'm bored so I will relate my computer experience. Did Tuesday's Updates. They were kind of weird. They broke SilverLight & had to reinstall it. After the Updates I ran Extended Disk Cleanup. Took over 2 hours mainly because of Windows Update Cleanup. Ran CCleaner.
Hi folks: I'm into Day 3 of using Windows 8.1 with Update 1, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm not running into many limitations yet, and all my apps of choice have worked so far. I will still say that I prefer Vista from a visual perspective, and in its ability to customize the desktop, but...
More...
First Thoughts about Windows 8 in General Support
This should probably be posted elsewhere on this forum, so apologies in advance. I've installed the 8250 CP version under VMWare Player and have been experimenting with it for a week or two. It supports most of my apps and the older ones I have to use VM XP to use anyway, since even Windows 7...
In my opion macs are decent computers, but i some how like pcs better runnign windows , anybody else have this feeling, if so write down a comment.:D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook