Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

64 bit and 32 bit?

  1. #21


    Posts : 162
    Windows 8 Pro


    I thought the boxed version has both 32 and 64.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Quote Originally Posted by jbfoster View Post
    I thought the boxed version has both 32 and 64.
    I'm not absolutely certain, but I get the impression that the retail boxed upgrade has both disks.

    However, I don't know what Microsoft provides as a backup disk ($15US option) to the $40 download. It'd be nice if it was the retail package, but I don't expect that.

    Has anyone received their "backup disk" yet, who is willing to comment?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by giroux28 View Post
    Great. I'll wait and see once my DVD(s) arrive in the mail.
    That's what I'm talking about.
    A DVD that has 64bit on it, just to make sure.

    It's pointless to install an older x64 release JUST to use the upgrade assistant.
    The clean install (form DVD / USB stick) will be snappier.

    As long as you don't use the 32bit anymore you can use its key for the 64bit. You paid for it and it's you right to use it.
    The architecture (32 or 64) is irrelevant, the OS is the same and that's why the key should apply. (unless they changed the rules again).
    This worked with Vista and 7. I had a laptop from 2007 and came with Vista 32bit preinstalled.
    I formatted and I used the provided key from the case for the 64bit (same OS same edition, Home Premium) on the same machine. It worked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Not entirely.
    We have DosBox and 16bit on x64 works perfectly.
    Given that I have a 16 bit Dos (Not windows) application. What do I have to do to run it on 64 bit Windows 7 or w8? Can I start it from the start button as I do on w8-32? Would it have access to my hard drives and mapped network drives?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    It's pointless to install an older x64 release JUST to use the upgrade assistant.
    The clean install (form DVD / USB stick) will be snappier.
    There's one point: if you want to get the $40US upgrade by download, that's done using the (insert expletive here) Upgrade Assistant. The UA offers only the same bit level as the OS from which it's run.

    It doesn't require extreme skill to work around that, because it's possible to use the UA to buy and download the upgrade but then to run it on a different PC.

    In my own case, I bought the upgrade using PC1. I did the actual download on PC2, and saved it as an .iso. I prepared a bootable FAT32 USB flash drive copy, and installed tn on PC2.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by machare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Not entirely.
    We have DosBox and 16bit on x64 works perfectly.
    Given that I have a 16 bit Dos (Not windows) application. What do I have to do to run it on 64 bit Windows 7 or w8? Can I start it from the start button as I do on w8-32? Would it have access to my hard drives and mapped network drives?
    No it wouldn't.

    But your DOS apps can access any folder if it's mapped form DosBox.

    DosBox is more difficult to use but does the job here.
    I'm afraid there's no way to launch a DOS program from start menu and no network drives are even accessible from what I know.
    However, you can give it access through "mapped hard drives" and those can be just folders you want the DOS programs to access.

    I agree, It's not as fluent as with the built-in DOS support on the 32bit version, but the fact that we're even able to run DOS apps on 64bit is a great deal. So I remain on x64 with DosBox, It's there just for a few old programs I like and there's no need for me to go back to 32bit just for that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by machare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Not entirely.
    We have DosBox and 16bit on x64 works perfectly.
    Given that I have a 16 bit Dos (Not windows) application. What do I have to do to run it on 64 bit Windows 7 or w8? Can I start it from the start button as I do on w8-32? Would it have access to my hard drives and mapped network drives?
    Sorry for this repost.

    My mistake.

    I guess the delete button doesn't work...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    It's pointless to install an older x64 release JUST to use the upgrade assistant.
    The clean install (form DVD / USB stick) will be snappier.
    There's one point: if you want to get the $40US upgrade by download, that's done using the (insert expletive here) Upgrade Assistant. The UA offers only the same bit level as the OS from which it's run.

    It doesn't require extreme skill to work around that, because it's possible to use the UA to buy and download the upgrade but then to run it on a different PC.

    In my own case, I bought the upgrade using PC1. I did the actual download on PC2, and saved it as an .iso. I prepared a bootable FAT32 USB flash drive copy, and installed tn on PC2.
    What you say it's true.
    The particular case here is that an upgrade was already paid (about 60$).
    And if you already have a key that was provided for the 32bit, you can use it for the 64bit instead.

    No need to run the upgrade assistant AGAIN or pay another 40$.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 162
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfoster View Post
    I thought the boxed version has both 32 and 64.
    I'm not absolutely certain, but I get the impression that the retail boxed upgrade has both disks.

    However, I don't know what Microsoft provides as a backup disk ($15US option) to the $40 download. It'd be nice if it was the retail package, but I don't expect that.

    Has anyone received their "backup disk" yet, who is willing to comment?
    I thought that the person that started this thread bought the boxed version since they bought it for $67. Doing the upgrade online for $39.99 plus purchasing the backup disk for $15 would be about $54.99.

    I'm confused or are we talking one thing here or did this thread split into two....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    You're right.

    We said all there is to it, At least I did.
    Let's hope the install/upgrade is good this time.

    One way or another, you're able to get 64bit or you can stay on 32.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
64 bit and 32 bit?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook