Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?

  1. #171


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Some are saying that they're jumping to Linux because Valve and Steam are going to,
    Well it's not for tomorrow that you will have many choices of games from them. You need more money than Valve probably have to do this, they can't do it alone. You need also support from Nvidia and AMD

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #172


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    I see that you've still got a Desktop


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You keep missing the point here. Yes, a desktop can hold more stuff than a tablet, because a tablet has to be portable, but you are forgetting about the docking station. The docking station can contain as much storage or whatever as you need. The docking station does not have to be portable.
    I never said that a Docking Station has to be portable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    And you can connect it to that 30" monitor for use on your desktop. Why do you keep ignoring that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Oh, please. A docking station can be as big as you want. Further, there is a point of diminishing returns. If you can fit everything you could ever possibly use in a package the size of a deck of cards, why would you want to put it in a package the size of a suitcase?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    No, you need a docking station. The tablet will have the CPU and access to the files you want that are portable. The tablet can have plenty of RAM. There are already tablets with 8 and 16GB's of RAM.
    You just can't grasp the point that a Docking Station with a keyboard, a mouse, a graphics tablet, a power supply, 64 GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD and a 30" monitor is actually a Desktop without a CPU!

    Why spend $500 on a Tablet and then spend another $1000 adding accessories to make it work like a Desktop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    There are already larger sized tablets. Sony, for instance, makes a 20" tablet.
    People claim that Macbook Air and Ultrabook laptops are too big, so they need a tablet.
    I can't see how a 20" tablet is more portable than one of those laptops.

    Apple has just released a 7" iPad Mini.
    I guess that people were complaining that the standard iPad wasn't portable enough.

    Actually I was surprised by the weight of a standard iPad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Lots of people ride trains every day to go to work. They want to bring their work with them and work while they are commuting, or when they get home. Lots of people do presentations, or travel for a living. They need to bring their office with them.
    I never said that Tablets weren't useful for some people (e.g. salespeople, people who perform remote site surveys, etc.).

    A Tablet would be useful to me ... for 10 hours/year.
    I can't justify spending $500 for that ROI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I think you're just being obtuse on purpose. If you could carry your computer around in your pocket, why wouldn't you?
    Maybe because:

    • I don't want to accidentally leave it somewhere (or drop it)?
    • I'm not addicted to checking my Facebook status every 30 seconds?
    • I don't want to get mugged for it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I didn't realize you were a physicist. Or a semiconductor engineer.
    I don't have to be a physicist or a semiconductor engineer.
    It's not my fault that you don't understand BASIC Mathematics and Physics.

    Since you don't understand basic Mathematics and Physics, here is a picture.
    Click image for larger version
    Mathematics and the Laws of Physics determine the number of transistors on a given wafer (n).
    Basic Mathematics determines the area of the wafer (1 vs 4).
    Both wafers have the same number of layers and/or depth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    People would have said the same thing if you told them you could carry around a super computer in your pocket 40 years ago. They'd say it was impossible, and that it would violate the laws of physics.
    Not Gordon E. Moore.

    Moore's Law
    The law is named after Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore, who described the trend in his 1965 paper.

    Let's check your point shall we?
    2012 - 40 = 1972

    Looks like basic Mathematics "worked you over" again.

    Thanks for clarifying that your "Tablet of Tomorrow" relies on technology that hasn't been invented and will never be incorporated into anything other than Tablets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The fact is, you simply lack imagination.
    There is a difference between irrational fantasy and practical imagination.

    I'm not the one insisting that Tablets will become so powerful, they'll outperform/replace Desktops.
    I guess that in your world they'll replace Servers and Supercomputers too.

    I await the production and release of your Qubit computing devices.

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Your argument is that a semi-truck is always better than a motorcycle because the semi truck can carry more stuff. I'll take the motorcycle over your semi-truck any day of the year. It's more fuel efficient, faster, more maneuverable, and attracts women like nothing else.

    Sure, the semi-truck is better if you need to haul pallets of stuff, but if you don't.. it's never a better choice.
    Wrong again.
    My point was that a Desktop will always outperform a Tablet, except in the portability category.
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    The only advantage tablets have over laptops and desktops is portability.

    Your point is that I should buy a motor bike instead of a semi-truck and then spend another $200K adding accessories, so that I can use it as a semi-truck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #173


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Betrayed? Really? How can you feel betrayed if you don't feel entitled? You can't. It's a product. It's not a life partner.

    You are beginning to come across as a lunatic.
    I did not say the above. Why the hell would you alter my words and falsely quote me saying something as hateful as that? That's very dishonest.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #174


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I figured I'd need ALL my enthusiasm and my Windows Phone, but some people, it's like WHAT?! It's literally like logic thought just got Ctrl Alt Deleted. Some are saying that they're jumping to Linux because Valve and Steam are going to, Windows 7 is going to be used like xp, and some are tripping balls because metro APPS, apps are the reason they crap down Windows 8.



    But yes, I would make a killer salesman, ESPECIALLY a Windows Phone salesman.
    I can understand your frustration. And do agree some complaints are really just smoke and mirrors.

    And I'm quite sincere in my belief you'd be a gun salesman for Windows phones. I've sold everything from cordials to grocery stores as a student, to civil engineering contracts. And in my previous occupation of marketing manager I'd certainly give you a job.
    YAY!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #175


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Betrayed? Really? How can you feel betrayed if you don't feel entitled? You can't. It's a product. It's not a life partner.

    You are beginning to come across as a lunatic.
    I did not say the above. Why the hell would you alter my words and falsely quote me saying something as hateful as that? That's very dishonest.
    Quotes were getting nested, and I missed.

    The "You are beginning to come across as a lunatic." is mine. It was in response to the previous sentence, which was yours, referring to your bizarre talk about entitlement.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #176


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    I did not say the above. Why the hell would you alter my words and falsely quote me saying something as hateful as that? That's very dishonest.
    Quotes were getting nested, and I missed.

    The "You are beginning to come across as a lunatic." is mine. It was in response to the previous sentence, which was yours, referring to your bizarre talk about entitlement.
    @Sgage:

    As we can see MS is being extremely "Job-ian" in their forcing of customers to accept that stupid metro start UI.

    And part of that tactical plan is to "vilify" those that do not see the value (as there is none) in having to be forced to boot to metro UI before entering the desktop.

    It is really quite obnoxious and inexcusable to insult and bully customers this way.

    I hate to say it but if this is how MS is going to treat the majority of its loyal customers then I hope they lose "their bet" big time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #177


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    I did not say the above. Why the hell would you alter my words and falsely quote me saying something as hateful as that? That's very dishonest.
    Quotes were getting nested, and I missed.

    The "You are beginning to come across as a lunatic." is mine. It was in response to the previous sentence, which was yours, referring to your bizarre talk about entitlement.
    @Sgage:

    As we can see MS is being extremely "Job-ian" in their forcing of customers to accept that stupid metro start UI.

    And part of that tactical plan is to "vilify" those that do not see the value (as there is none) in having to be forced to boot to metro UI before entering the desktop.

    It is really quite obnoxious and inexcusable to insult and bully customers this way.

    I hate to say it but if this is how MS is going to treat the majority of its loyal customers then I hope they lose "their bet" big time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #178


    Posts : 224
    .


    while i like windows 8, and most of it's features I can not see a reason for the apps.

    on my phone they are lite and easy to use which is fine seeing as i have limited resources on that thing, i also don't mind the reduction in features these apps offer on my phone because frankly the thing is too small to make use of them.

    now i sit at a windows 8 desktop and pull up an app that has the same limited functionality of my phone and look at my overpowered pc and wonder how to make it use more than one thread and more than 12mb of ram above the os utilisation, then i look at the reduced feature set of the app...and revert to a mainstream programe because the app was useless beyond words for a desktop.

    I rather enjoy windows 8 but the apps are useless, another reason is the apps themselves, I can't resize them or change them in any way i can't look at two apps side by side in a easy to view format that is actually readable..yes i know i can smidge one to the side and view another one...i did say usable and easy to view, so i can't drop ie10 over to the side and easily read something while performing another task in a different app.

    then there is the problem of real estate...i Mean my screen space. Windows 8 apps use to much of it for pointless tasks where they frankly take up to much space for no real reason, then there is the combined problem that i use multiple screens and the inability of those apps to let me use my screen space the way i want to.

    so the microsoft store and the apps it has will never be used by me, i already have windows live mail installed over the clunky full screen affair of the metro app version that i can't resize, and pretty much all other apps it has to offer i have alternatives for that i can change at will.

    this closed off area of the o/s is more harmfull than good, i often run 6-8 applications side by side split and seperated across multiple screens, when windows 8 apps can let me do that i may consider using them....maybe..no wait i won't they still have crap feature sets.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #179


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    And you can connect it to that 30" monitor for use on your desktop. Why do you keep ignoring that?


    You just can't grasp the point that a Docking Station with a keyboard, a mouse, a graphics tablet, a power supply, 64 GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD and a 30" monitor is actually a Desktop without a CPU!

    Why spend $500 on a Tablet and then spend another $1000 adding accessories to make it work like a Desktop?

    I think you both forgot one thing that windows 8 has to offer.

    you can log into another windows 8 machine using your info and it will hopefully pull down your apps and mail and access to cloud storage where if you were smart you saved the work you needed.

    not tested that feature myself but apparently it should work...essentially you should have all the apps you need at any windows 8 pc, for link i refer you to the developer conference of windows 8 which can be found online by googling it.

    so you can do away with the utterly useless tablet pc get a pc at home that actually has some oomf about it and one at work and not have to care a jot about a sodden tablet and it's crappy apps, lack of usb ports for external storage or lack of power for a usb hard drive or lack of optical drive or ability to actually power one.

    how many of you could max out a tablets storage capacity having to move files from home to work if all you had was a tablet? what if you needed to burn an iso file for something or burn something to a dvd/cd quickly for a conference because lets be honest your not going to leave your tablet just laying around are you now.

    portable hard drives require more power than a tablet can muster so they are useless for that along side their limited storage capacity, the actual apps most would use at work may not be supported by windows 8/andriod or ios so which one do you pick? or do people just expect others to get new software written that does support these ever changing and ever updating software platforms? which version of andriod do you support, will it work with upcoming ios releases? will it work on arm based windows tablets or just the expensive intel offerings?

    Not so clear cut now is it, tablets for work....get real they are good for one thing and thats what they get used for most, draw something and crap games and useless apps.

    as much as i hate to say this the world has a long way to go before tablets and there reduced functionality can keep up with a basic 300 laptop that can do all of that. it would take a colossal move to cloud style storage at the workplace as well as from music and movie vendors and cheaper video editing software amougst so many others that go against tablets.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #180


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    while i like windows 8, and most of it's features I can not see a reason for the apps.

    on my phone they are lite and easy to use which is fine seeing as i have limited resources on that thing, i also don't mind the reduction in features these apps offer on my phone because frankly the thing is too small to make use of them.

    now i sit at a windows 8 desktop and pull up an app that has the same limited functionality of my phone and look at my overpowered pc and wonder how to make it use more than one thread and more than 12mb of ram above the os utilisation, then i look at the reduced feature set of the app...and revert to a mainstream programe because the app was useless beyond words for a desktop.

    I rather enjoy windows 8 but the apps are useless, another reason is the apps themselves, I can't resize them or change them in any way i can't look at two apps side by side in a easy to view format that is actually readable..yes i know i can smidge one to the side and view another one...i did say usable and easy to view, so i can't drop ie10 over to the side and easily read something while performing another task in a different app.

    then there is the problem of real estate...i Mean my screen space. Windows 8 apps use to much of it for pointless tasks where they frankly take up to much space for no real reason, then there is the combined problem that i use multiple screens and the inability of those apps to let me use my screen space the way i want to.

    so the microsoft store and the apps it has will never be used by me, i already have windows live mail installed over the clunky full screen affair of the metro app version that i can't resize, and pretty much all other apps it has to offer i have alternatives for that i can change at will.

    this closed off area of the o/s is more harmfull than good, i often run 6-8 applications side by side split and seperated across multiple screens, when windows 8 apps can let me do that i may consider using them....maybe..no wait i won't they still have crap feature sets.
    On the flip side, one can argue that you can use a bigger screen, faster processor and internet, and a full keyboard for these apps. As I see it, I enjoy using the apps because it doesn't mean I have to hunch over and stare down at my little four inch screen to browse content whereas I can use my 17 inch monitor, Touch Mouse, and wireless keyboard to view the same content, but more enjoyable.

    But in the long run, I do believe there needs to be improvements to them, like more added functionality and at least being able to snap apps 50/50 versus 30/60. Why they decided to allow that type of app snap that basically will only work best with a handful of apps is beyond me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?
Related Threads
Really I don't know what is wrong with my PC. All the time when windows boot, and after 5 min my desktop stopping working. And then coming up DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE Blue Screen. I created .ZIP folder by SF Debug Tool. Can anyone tell me what is my trouble?
I've been getting kernel security check failure BSODs after keeping my computer on for a few hours. Would like some assistance with this as I am unable to fix it on my own.
The Windows 8.1 Start Button Is a Sign of Defeat for Microsoft, Users Claim
Hi there For all the doom and gloom on this Forum MSFT must be doing something right -- very slightly down on the day -- unlike "The Fruit Company" (AAPL) which Tanked a whopping 22 USD today and is just a few dollars above its 52 week low. I think I'd certainly go with MSFT than AAPL for the...
MSFT is paddling back in Windows 8 News
Microsoft restores transfer rights for retail Office 2013 copies | ZDNet They are learning. Let's keep the pressure on them for the system. It may take them a little longer to realize what damage they made to the desktop market, but I am sure they will get there also to a resonable solution.
Hi everybody The demise of MS is as usual vastly over-hyped -- especially by fans of the "Fruit Company". However I think this article shows a bit more realism. A Techie's Guide to the Future of Microsoft - AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, ORCL, VMW - Foolish Blogging Network Cheers jimbo
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook