Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?

  1. #141


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    We know you don't actually want to fix this though, because you enjoy complaining about it, and if you fixed it, your life would no longer have meaning. (yes, that's sarcasm, since we can see you have trouble noticing it).

    Quote Originally Posted by jbfoster View Post
    I agree with Mystere, simple fix with a third party app. If you don't want to use the app it's only one extra click to the desktop. I to also agree Microsoft should of gave the choice to us but again not a big issue to me.
    As I said above, there are a number of ways to do this without any third party software. And yeah, it's one click, or one keypress. All you have to do is tap the windows key or escape and the start screen goes away.
    You must not have read my post, I think your comprehension is less than mine.

    I stated that if I CHOOSE TO TURN THE PC OFF! during the times when I am not using it, there is NO way to automatically boot directly to the desktop without using a third party software solution.

    It may not be an issue for you but it is for me, it IS a problem for many users.

    If I am incorrect please, humor me and tell me how when the PC is turned OFF how I can make it boot directly to desktop each and everytime.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #142


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    You must not have read my post, I think your comprehension is less than mine.

    I stated that if I CHOOSE TO TURN THE PC OFF! during the times when I am not using it, there is NO way to automatically boot directly to the desktop without using a third party software solution.
    And you didn't read mine. That is absolutely false. There are several methods to boot directly (as in starting up from being fully turned off) to the desktop. I've posted a couple of them several times on this board.

    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    It may not be an issue for you but it is for me, it IS a problem for many users.
    Perhaps you'd care to explain exactly how having to press a key or click a tile is a problem for you, or any other user. I mean it, don't just wave your hands, explain EXACTLY how this is such a hardship.

    It's like complaining that you have to start your car to get it to move. Or that you have to press the power button on your computer to get it to start.

    But as I said, be that as it may, there are ways to do this, WITHOUT THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. I don't know how many times I have to say it for it to sink in. But hey, as I said, I guess your life has no meaning if you're not complaining about non-issues and untrue things in Windows 8.

    Here's one example I have posted, the last suggestion does not require any third party software:

    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...tml#post134880
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #143


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    I still have to copy that file and insert it into the OS? Maybe it is not "installed" software but I still don't like altering that core item.

    So essentially I am installing new code that is NOT from the OS.

    More to the point do you think the typical user is going to even know about what you posted. I bet not.

    The bottom line is MS should simply make this right by adding their own default choice switch and not having myself of others having to insert this additional code from a NON MS source.


    Other than that I have no issues with Win 8. It's just maddening that MS didn't do this in the first place. Frustrating MANY users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #144


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    You're not "Altering" anything. And it's not "new code". You're just copying a file that is included with the OS into the start menu, just like you would if you wanted, say, your mail program to start automatically when you login.

    This is something millions of people do in Windows all the time. It's no different from editing your registry, your using Task Manager to change the startup items.

    Of course you would discount this, as I said.. You don't actually want to fix your problem. If you did, you'd copy the file and be done with it.

    Also noted that you neglected to explain why booting to the start screen is a burden. I guess we'll just have to assume the worst.
    Last edited by Mystere; 15 Nov 2012 at 00:41.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #145


    Helena Al
    Posts : 29
    Windows 8 64bit Pro


    There is a lot of us that agree and that's why sales are very slow on the PC end and even most PC manufactures are letting you downgrade to Windows 7 to keep people happy.
    I think Windows 8 will slowly creep into the market but most professionals that I work with will be staying on Windows 7 for some time.
    I just wish I would have left Windows 7 Ultimate on my PC and made it a duel boot. The Gaming side is a nightmare for PC gamers with Window 8 and will take some time to work out all the problems. But over time maybe they will listen to all our request and incorporate them in an update on the PC end.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #146


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Hi Max,

    But why would I want to do that when I can do it all on my desktop without ever having to leave it?
    I concur. I'm not suggesting you do otherwise. If I wasn't investigating Win8 from a development perspective I'd have stayed at Win7 on my main machine (my Inspiron notebook). I'm not implying to anyone here that I find that Win8 provides me any additional value other than the fact that I can investigate Metro development. What I am saying, though, is that if you choose to upgrade to it for one reason or another, there isn't much you will have to do to preserve the machine environment you have already become accustomed to.

    Like many here, I was dead-set against this mother for a year. Only after I installed the "gold" version as an upgrade to my live development machine did I discover that the thing is not dangerous as an upgrade. As a desktop system it performs as well as my Win7 configuration did with the addition of the Metro subsystem. I don't spend a lot of time in the Metro but having it there isn't a bother. For all practical purposes (to me) it's just another Start Menu with live tiles. Aside from the loss of "Aero" and the desktop "Gadgets" I find the system both practical and reliable - and not unpleasant to use. That's all.

    I'm not becoming a "fanboy" to this version of Windows, particularly. I'm just trying to say that it doesn't represent something bad to a desktop user that might just want to add the Metro style of applications to the machine mix. Except for the two items I mentioned above, there's just no loss of functionality. It works fine.

    To anyone who is developing to the desktop platform I'm saying go ahead and keep doing it. Your stuff will run. If you want to learn Metro programming, it's all here. In my particular case it's turning out to be a win-win (no pun intended). A pleasant surprise.

    -Max :-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #147


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    I'm not against Windows 8 per se, I am against being forced as the consumer to not have a choice between booting to the Metro UI or to the desktop.
    It's NOT that big a deal! The desktop tile is the first one listed on the default Metro screen. Tap it and you're there. If you put your machine to sleep it returns to the desktop when it wakes up. C'mon ... let's give this one (and the missing Start Button) a rest, shall we. It ain't a problem!

    -Max

    That's fine IF you don't ever turn your PC off at night or when you are not using it....but you see, I and others do, it is after all my choice.

    The fact is that what you say does not work if you are turning the PC off and then back on .

    It IS a problem for a LOT of folks that CHOOSE to turn their computer off.
    Legacy,

    You don't have to yell. I CAN HEAR YOU JUST FINE THANKS.

    Is it REALLY that big a deal when bringing your machine up to have one mouse action to take it to the desktop? I mean, really?

    Lets major on minors, shall we?

    If you want difficulty-of-use, go try Linux for a little while. You'll BEG for the Metro screen with that one click access to the desktop!

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #148


    Posts : 162
    Windows 8 Pro


    Wow Really, all this over booting to the desktop. This is getting too much bashing. You expressed your dislikes which is fine. Others have suggested options for which you did not like which also is fine. It's your choice.

    If you don't like it, that's fine. It's your choice whether to use Windows 8 or not.


    lets move on... Life is to short...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #149


    Miami
    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    I think Windows 7 will dominate the OS market for at least next one or two years, though Windows 8 is getting a huge popularity in recent times, I'm also now using Windows 8 and I love it, I feel uncomfortable sometimes due to its new interface and metro start screen, but that's OK to me and I think same is with many of the normal windows users,

    It still has many bugs, I'm hoping for a bug free release from Microsoft, if they are willing so.

    Coming to the tablets and phones, I think surface will be a success if the prices are made competitive, It's too costly as compared to Android Tablets or even the Ipads,

    I can't say anything about Windows Phones, Android is dominating the smartphone market with approx 73% market share....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #150


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Hi Max,

    But why would I want to do that when I can do it all on my desktop without ever having to leave it?
    I concur. I'm not suggesting you do otherwise. If I wasn't investigating Win8 from a development perspective I'd have stayed at Win7 on my main machine (my Inspiron notebook). I'm not implying to anyone here that I find that Win8 provides me any additional value other than the fact that I can investigate Metro development. What I am saying, though, is that if you choose to upgrade to it for one reason or another, there isn't much you will have to do to preserve the machine environment you have already become accustomed to.

    -Max :-)
    Hi Max,

    Yep I hear where you're coming from and fully comprendo! I'm basically using W8 as W7 literally with Explorer 7 and no Metro period ... to get the improved OS kernel. If I were using MS apps, then I would use Metro, but since I don't use them period, there is no point to it. In fact with the hack Ex7ForW8 start, it boots even faster because none of the Metro stuff is loaded on startup.

    One point though, if I did have to boot through Metro, and I know it only involves a single click of the keyboard to get to desktop ... that absolutely infuriates me because it's unnecessary!

    And more to the point, it is a clear demonstration of what I consider to be the bloody mindedness and arrogance of M$ in refusing to give users an option for their preferred choice of boot. If they can be that dogmatic in the current depressed market then they deserve what they get.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?
Related Threads
Really I don't know what is wrong with my PC. All the time when windows boot, and after 5 min my desktop stopping working. And then coming up DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE Blue Screen. I created .ZIP folder by SF Debug Tool. Can anyone tell me what is my trouble?
I've been getting kernel security check failure BSODs after keeping my computer on for a few hours. Would like some assistance with this as I am unable to fix it on my own.
The Windows 8.1 Start Button Is a Sign of Defeat for Microsoft, Users Claim
Hi there For all the doom and gloom on this Forum MSFT must be doing something right -- very slightly down on the day -- unlike "The Fruit Company" (AAPL) which Tanked a whopping 22 USD today and is just a few dollars above its 52 week low. I think I'd certainly go with MSFT than AAPL for the...
MSFT is paddling back in Windows 8 News
Microsoft restores transfer rights for retail Office 2013 copies | ZDNet They are learning. Let's keep the pressure on them for the system. It may take them a little longer to realize what damage they made to the desktop market, but I am sure they will get there also to a resonable solution.
Hi everybody The demise of MS is as usual vastly over-hyped -- especially by fans of the "Fruit Company". However I think this article shows a bit more realism. A Techie's Guide to the Future of Microsoft - AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, ORCL, VMW - Foolish Blogging Network Cheers jimbo
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook