Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?

  1. #111


    Sofia
    Posts : 135
    XP, Win7, Win8_Eval


    Yes, after two weeks of official Windows 8 launch we see that Mr. Sinofsky is fired by Microsoft !
    Something big is going on.
    You do not fire a top manager responsible for the development of Windows 8 for no reason.

    So the end of Microsoft is maybe not so near which was expected after Windows 8 inglorious launch.
    We have to wait for some time to see if top manager change will bring also some changes in Windows 8.

    It would be easy for Microsoft to to split Desktop and Metro interface, allow Desktop to be default and enable Start Menu.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    robc163 Junior Member


    I love Windows 8 and I also know there are actually a lot of people out there that think Windows 8 does not have a desktop because they have hardly showed it off in there adverts

    the OS achieved 4 million sales in 3 days which to me is not failing however I feel the advertising for this operating system has been advertising the touch side of it too much and has not showed any real PC friendly features

    I also think Windows 8 is a beautiful OS as having features like Xbox live which we all know is an extremely popular product is a great idea to have on a different platform though they have not advertised the good things enough and have only showed how touch friendly this OS is causing people to think that this won't be very good on the PC


    They have done some stupid things as well like the start button now being hidden in the right. They should have just left it in the bottom left corner and used something like the developers preview start button but make it much better looking


    Overall the OS in performance is a giant success and the same for it's features but the advertisement is a giant failiure
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Mr. Ballmer:

    If you happen to be reading this thread PLEASE....PLEASE, allow the user to make a choice of which UI we can boot to.

    Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by robc163 View Post

    the OS achieved 4 million sales in 3 days

    that's as to be proven
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    You're assuming that the Laws of Physics don't apply


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    First of all, do you actually need 64 GB RAM? Have you actually used something like that?
    Maybe and No.

    I didn't need 1 GB of RAM 15 years ago.
    I've got 4 GB of RAM in my current PC and it's not enough!

    With 64 GB of RAM it might be possible to load the entire OS into it and run it from a RAMDisk (that would outperform any realistic home user SSD or RAID setup).
    It would also be ideal for video editing or other activities that require manipulating massive amounts of data.

    The specifications I mentioned came from a catalogue that I had just read.
    It was delivered to my house as "junk" mail (i.e. it was delivered to everybody in my suburb, if not my city).
    I didn't have to trawl the Internet to find it.
    Whoever commissioned that catalogue believed it was "mainstream" enough to deliver it to everyone, not just computer geeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    Next, you talk about the storage capacities. Fine. Have you carefully read the text you quoted? It didn't talk about tablets of today but tomorrow. The future. I can bet tomorrow's tablets will come with storages like this. Just five years ago - my main desktop had 80 GB HDD. I couldn't even dream of 1 TB then. See? Technology is moving fast. And the best part is that, it's getting faster.
    Immaterial.
    Tablets will always be underpowered compared to a desktop.
    Just as a desktop will always be underpowered compared to a supercomputer.

    A desktop will still be able to hold more of everything, EVEN in the future.

    What about the "Cloud" I hear you ask?
    Don't come crying to me when:

    • You can't access you files
    • You fall behind on your payments
    • The provider gets hacked
    • The provider goes out of business.


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    And, if you have followed this thread carefully - a few posts after the post you quoted - another post talks about how the dock can have extra storage spaces and extra processors. There you can have 64 GB RAM as well.

    Now the screen size. Can you tell me - which of the generally used desktop PCs come with a 52" + screens?

    You don't see generally, do you? Because it isn't convenient and most importantly not required . If you can perform the tasks in a smaller sized screen why are you worried about 23"+ ?

    The question is: Which is more important- Portability? or Big screen? You can't have them both, where would you compromise?

    For me portability is far more important than big screen size. I would choose portability over big screen size any day of the week. Especially when you can achieve the task with a smaller screen as well.

    Anyway, tomorrow's tablets would (I'm not sure if there are already tablets in the market that) come with ports to connect external displays in case you require.
    Why would I want to work on a 10" screen?
    I can barely read text on my 23" screen (using the Windows default settings).
    A lot of people already have 30" monitors.

    Tablets can never become larger than a certain size (12" for sake of argument) otherwise they will no longer be portable.

    The upshot of your points:
    I would still need a desktop to plug my "super tablet" into, to hold my extra CPUs, RAM and Storage devices.
    So why bother?

    I'd only need a tablet, if I was "forced" to carry a computer around with me 24 hours/day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Again, I repeat. You are making the mistake of assuming the limitations of a tablet today will be the limitations of a tablet tomorrow.
    There is no mistake on my part.
    You're assuming that the Laws of Physics don't apply.

    Simple mathematics also demonstrates this fallacy:
    A volume of 10X is larger than a volume of X,
    therefore
    10X can hold more "stuff".
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 14 Nov 2012 at 22:50. Reason: Quote Added
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Yes, it would be very easy for them to do that.

    They don't want to - because pushing the start menu at the user is one of the ways they are trying to pluck the turkey without it squealing.


    Quote Originally Posted by boyans View Post
    Yes, after two weeks of official Windows 8 launch we see that Mr. Sinofsky is fired by Microsoft !
    Something big is going on.
    You do not fire a top manager responsible for the development of Windows 8 for no reason.

    So the end of Microsoft is maybe not so near which was expected after Windows 8 inglorious launch.
    We have to wait for some time to see if top manager change will bring also some changes in Windows 8.

    It would be easy for Microsoft to to split Desktop and Metro interface, allow Desktop to be default and enable Start Menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Tablets will always be underpowered compared to a desktop.
    Just as a desktop will always be underpowered compared to a supercomputer.

    A desktop will still be able to hold more of everything, EVEN in the future.
    You keep missing the point here. Yes, a desktop can hold more stuff than a tablet, because a tablet has to be portable, but you are forgetting about the docking station. The docking station can contain as much storage or whatever as you need. The docking station does not have to be portable.

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Why would I want to work on a 10" screen?
    I can barely read text on my 23" screen (using the Windows default settings).
    A lot of people already have 30" monitors.
    And you can connect it to that 30" monitor for use on your desktop. Why do you keep ignoring that?

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Tablets can never become larger than a certain size (12" for sake of argument) otherwise they will no longer be portable.
    There are already larger sized tablets. Sony, for instance, makes a 20" tablet.

    Sony VAIO Tap 20 Review | Windows 8 Tablet Review

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    I would still need a desktop to plug my "super tablet" into, to hold my extra CPUs, RAM and Storage devices.
    So why bother?
    No, you need a docking station. The tablet will have the CPU and access to the files you want that are portable. The tablet can have plenty of RAM. There are already tablets with 8 and 16GB's of RAM.

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    I'd only need a tablet, if I was "forced" to carry a computer around with me 24 hours/day.
    Lots of people ride trains every day to go to work. They want to bring their work with them and work while they are commuting, or when they get home. Lots of people do presentations, or travel for a living. They need to bring their office with them.

    I think you're just being obtuse on purpose. If you could carry your computer around in your pocket, why wouldn't you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    There is no mistake on my part.
    You're assuming that the Laws of Physics don't apply.
    I didn't realize you were a physicist. Or a semiconductor engineer. People would have said the same thing if you told them you could carry around a super computer in your pocket 40 years ago. They'd say it was impossible, and that it would violate the laws of physics.

    The fact is, you simply lack imagination.

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Simple mathematics also demonstrates this fallacy:
    A volume of 10X is larger than a volume of X,
    therefore
    10X can hold more "stuff".
    Oh, please. A docking station can be as big as you want. Further, there is a point of diminishing returns. If you can fit everything you could ever possibly use in a package the size of a deck of cards, why would you want to put it in a package the size of a suitcase?

    Your argument is that a semi-truck is always better than a motorcycle because the semi truck can carry more stuff. I'll take the motorcycle over your semi-truck any day of the year. It's more fuel efficient, faster, more maneuverable, and attracts women like nothing else.

    Sure, the semi-truck is better if you need to haul pallets of stuff, but if you don't.. it's never a better choice.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Posts : 162
    Windows 8 Pro


    Tablets have their place but it will never replace my desktop. Some say use a docking station. My desktop is a 3.6, I have not seen a tablet any where near that speed. I don't think I would ever need a tablet that fast.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Helena Al
    Posts : 29
    Windows 8 64bit Pro


    Your right jbfoster..Tablets are not desktops..maybe sometime in the future when things get faster more ram,bigger ssd's and cheaper ways to construct them but for now I want an Operating system that works with my PC and all my programs and games and Windows 8 hasn't proven that at all I have more crashes and conflicts (yes it is faster when it works properly) But most of us want more freedom in the way we use it and one is why I got "Start8" but that should have been a choice in Windows not an add-on. And I think there is a big shake up in Microsoft right now and we just see the tip of the iceberg. I think over some time we will see some changes but for now I hope they get it together and hear what we are saying.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't found the file explorer and so I didn't know it existed. You are correct it replaces the start button adequately. Your IE10 looks nothing like mine. From the desktop I'm using IE 9. From the start screen I use IE10 but it looks nothing like what you show in the image and it has no way to print. Perhaps I need to download a new one. Perhaps the answer to all of this would be for Microsoft to have provided a manual. Thanks again.
    In case you don't know. There are 2 versions of IE 10 in windows 8, a metro ui version and a regular desktop version. so when you run IE from the Start screen, you are running the Metro UI version. You can try this: go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer if you run 64-bit version
    or C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer if you run 32-bit version. Right click on iexplorer.exe and pin to start menu and unpin the metro version from start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?
Related Threads
Really I don't know what is wrong with my PC. All the time when windows boot, and after 5 min my desktop stopping working. And then coming up DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE Blue Screen. I created .ZIP folder by SF Debug Tool. Can anyone tell me what is my trouble?
I've been getting kernel security check failure BSODs after keeping my computer on for a few hours. Would like some assistance with this as I am unable to fix it on my own.
The Windows 8.1 Start Button Is a Sign of Defeat for Microsoft, Users Claim
Hi there For all the doom and gloom on this Forum MSFT must be doing something right -- very slightly down on the day -- unlike "The Fruit Company" (AAPL) which Tanked a whopping 22 USD today and is just a few dollars above its 52 week low. I think I'd certainly go with MSFT than AAPL for the...
MSFT is paddling back in Windows 8 News
Microsoft restores transfer rights for retail Office 2013 copies | ZDNet They are learning. Let's keep the pressure on them for the system. It may take them a little longer to realize what damage they made to the desktop market, but I am sure they will get there also to a resonable solution.
Hi everybody The demise of MS is as usual vastly over-hyped -- especially by fans of the "Fruit Company". However I think this article shows a bit more realism. A Techie's Guide to the Future of Microsoft - AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, ORCL, VMW - Foolish Blogging Network Cheers jimbo
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook