Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

WTF

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Windows 7

    WTF


    I've been a huge Windows fan since DOS, and I've used every incarnation of Windows since it's inception. I've also used other ancient operating system I don't even want to get into, but yesterday I was helping a friend setup their new computer running Windows 8 and felt like I was visiting another planet. I have a higher than average IQ, and I can usually sit down at any computer and figure it out, but this was too much. I tried doing searches on the Net to figure out what was going on but didn't get anywhere. Am I the only one with this problem?

    Eventually I found a program called Classic Shell and we were able to move forward, but now "I'm" contemplating getting a new computer and I'm thinking Apple for the first time in my life.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22
    Windows 8 Pro


    Since you didn't state a problem it would pretty hard to know if you are the only one with this problem. It is strange that you know enough to find this forum but you haven't read enough on it to be prepared to help your friend. I'm thinking that you may be from another planet and that your friend picked the wrong person to help with setting up his new computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Hi Ziggy925. Welcome to EightForums.

    What seems to be the problem? Is it that things are in a different place? 8 is quite the radical change from previous OSs, but not too difficult to learn. The Modern UI is based on touch but works well with mouse and keyboard. There's still the classic desktop to run win32 legacy programs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 7
    Windows 7


    The problem I'm having is that this new OS is not intuative to me at all. It took me five minutes to figure out my iPhone and using my girlfriend's iPad is a no-brainer. The computer is a notebook with a touchpad, and when I use the new IE things keep jumping around on me, which I'm assuming is a function of the touchpad trying to emulate a touchscreen. I guess I'll have to buy a Windows 8 book or something, and I appologize for the rant, but I've never had this much trouble getting out of the gate with an OS before. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard. I'm going to go into the corner and meditate now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    I've been a huge Windows fan since DOS, and I've used every incarnation of Windows since it's inception. I've also used other ancient operating system I don't even want to get into, but yesterday I was helping a friend setup their new computer running Windows 8 and felt like I was visiting another planet. I have a higher than average IQ, and I can usually sit down at any computer and figure it out, but this was too much. I tried doing searches on the Net to figure out what was going on but didn't get anywhere. Am I the only one with this problem?

    Eventually I found a program called Classic Shell and we were able to move forward, but now "I'm" contemplating getting a new computer and I'm thinking Apple for the first time in my life.
    Ziggy,

    Stick with it for about 24 hours and you will have an "aha". I'm here to tell you, I fought the damn thing for a year (playing with it in VM's etc.) but only after I upgraded my primary box with it and "forced" myself into it did I "get it". My machine flow and desktop are as good or better than they were in Win7. As odd as it may sound it adds a 3rd-dimension to the machine environment. Once you get used to it you won't want to go back.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 7
    Windows 7


    Thanks, Max. I understand exactly what you are saying. It's just that sometimes you just want to take care of business and 2 dimensions is more than enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    The problem I'm having is that this new OS is not intuative to me at all.
    I found many things to not be intuitive either. What brought me some success was to "NOT" think of Windows as Windows anymore, but think about it in terms of it being an Android based system on a smartphone. You aren't alone in your struggle. I find that some didn't even now to hit enter or the mouse to get the logon screen. I couldn't find the power button, I got stuck in metro apps and couldn't figure out how to get out of them. We've all been there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    It took me five minutes to figure out my iPhone and using my girlfriend's iPad is a no-brainer.
    My wife had an iPhone for many years and I never came to terms with it. I didn't find it to be intuitive at all either. Coming from blackberries and android where we have back buttons, that whole 1 button thing always confounded me. I struggle to find anything whatsoever on a Mac.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    I guess I'll have to buy a Windows 8 book or something, and I appologize for the rant, but I've never had this much trouble getting out of the gate with an OS before. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard. I'm going to go into the corner and meditate now.
    Nothing wrong with ranting. There are quite a number of us who after having used Windows 8 for some time have figured it out, but still don't feel inclined whatsoever to actually buy it. I don't see it as a sure fire win, some are simply going to elect to stay on Windows 7...and there is nothing wrong with that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    You'll find that mostly hardcore techies with decades of experience find issues with Windows 8...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    The problem I'm having is that this new OS is not intuative to me at all. It took me five minutes to figure out my iPhone and using my girlfriend's iPad is a no-brainer. The computer is a notebook with a touchpad, and when I use the new IE things keep jumping around on me, which I'm assuming is a function of the touchpad trying to emulate a touchscreen. I guess I'll have to buy a Windows 8 book or something, and I appologize for the rant, but I've never had this much trouble getting out of the gate with an OS before. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard. I'm going to go into the corner and meditate now.
    It would help if you could be more descriptive. So far, none of your posts have actually described any real problems and just had vague notions expressed in them.

    I have no idea what you mean by "things keep jumping around on me". You might as well have said a magic fairy kept zapping you with a wand every time you touched the computer.

    If you want help with solving any problems, then you need to be specific about what those problems are. If you just want to rant, then there's already plenty of that here by a select few people.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8 Pro


    Troll? I can't see how Windows 8 is difficult for anyone with an above average IQ.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WTF
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook