Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Are you happy with Metro being on Windows 8 Desktop?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Metro being on Windows 8 Desktop?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 48.78%
  • No

    21 51.22%
  1. #11


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    It needed a change, it's been the same for too long. Time to move on.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    The question is irrevelant for me because I use a Ex7ForW8 hacked Windows7 Orb start menu, which runs Explorer 7 in W8, with Ex7 files imported from W7 installation disc.

    It can run in Explorer 7 mode, or can be switched back to native W8 Explorer 8, but when one is swithced on, the other is switched off. I leave it in Ex7 mode which means 'Metro' is unavailable and I never see it. I work exclusively from desktop GUI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of Metro at all.
    Why didn't they just make it a desktop integration/modification that displays fancy icons and widgets? What's the point of running it on TOP of an existing desktop and applications?
    Metro is not just a "feature" like the Gadgets in Windows 7. This is the thing most people don't understand.

    Metro is an entirely new operating system. It runs side-by-side with the old Windows. It's not just some simple API they added on to things. This is the first step in migrating the application base to the new platform that will work across different CPU's and architectures (Phone, Tablet, and PC).

    This being the "first step", it's not as mature as Win32 is (the traditional OS) and it will take some time to mature. Microsoft chose to do this "dual OS" route rather than do the route that Apple did, when they converted everyone from PowerPC to x86 (that used emulation). Using the apple approach would mean that existing performance applications, like games, would probably run 10x slower, and use a LOT more resources.

    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    It's clear that its solely aimed at mobile devices and serves little purpose in a desktop environment.

    If it was possible to completely disable and remove it, I would.
    No, it's not aimed solely at mobile devices. It's aimed at *ALL* devices. It's a UI that works for everything.

    The problem most people have is that it's not the same as they are used to, so they conclude that it's not aimed at desktops because, in their mind, the old UI is the only way a desktop can work. That's simply not the case. I have asked this question of a lot of people, and nobody can ever give me a straight answer about how the UI is so unusable on a desktop. They always talk about how it's not usable with a keyboard and mouse, which is totally false. it's very usable with a keyboard and mouse.

    The only argument, in my mind, that is valid is the full screen one. And while I agree that it's not ideal, it's not a deal breaker. Most of my apps are WIn32 apps, and that will continue to be the case for a long time to come. But I still like Metro and can see the potential there.

    Think of it like this. Other than the start screen (which, by the way, most people think is Metro.. it's not, it just LOOKS like metro, it's actually a Win32 app), I think of Metro apps the same way I would think of a video game emulation console, or a virtual machine.

    I really don't understand the "I want to get rid of it" mentality. If you don't use any metro apps, you never have to use Metro. But it's there if you want it. It's completely out of the way and won't interfere with you or anything if you don't want to use it.

    If you don't like the new start menu, that's fine. But the start menu is *NOT* metro. It's a Win32 app that has been styled to look like Metro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8 64-bit


    I didn't really like it at first but after using it for a day I actually found myself liking it better than aero.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Metro is an entirely new operating system. It runs side-by-side with the old Windows. It's not just some simple API they added on to things. This is the first step in migrating the application base to the new platform that will work across different CPU's and architectures (Phone, Tablet, and PC).
    Oh I seee. One OS to rule them all kinda thing? So in the future I'd just switch on my Phone/Tablet/PC/Microwave, login with my Microsoft Live ID email/subscription and my device will use all my stored settings regardless of its environment?
    Cool.. but I really just want to use my workstation PC as.. a workstation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I really don't understand the "I want to get rid of it" mentality. If you don't use any metro apps, you never have to use Metro. But it's there if you want it. It's completely out of the way and won't interfere with you or anything if you don't want to use it.
    I really don't understand the "I want to keep it just incase" mentality ;)
    I'm using Classic Shell and running with Administrator account (which disables the opening of Metro apps). I have almost no interaction with Metro. I'm simply an end user, not a developer in awe of its wonderous potential, and I have very little interest in these apps.

    My CPU, my RAM, my SSD capacity, my UI Themes, my Wacom, my Screen real-estate, my Shortcuts, my Cursor movement/efficiency... just about everything in my workflow is streamlined and optimised.
    My PC is just a tool to me.. but it's my tool. Any clutter or fluff gets cleaned away.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    I didn't think I'd like it at all but it's actually fine. It sits in the background out-of-the way when I'm on the desktop. If I feel like running a news app back there or something I go to it and it navigates that environment just fine.

    I don't think I'll go to the tablets with it, though. I have too much invested in my iOS stuff. Win8 still allows me to synchronize iTunes to those so it's good with me. (Breaking that would have been a deal breaker for me).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The problem most people have is that it's not the same as they are used to, so they conclude that it's not aimed at desktops because, in their mind, the old UI is the only way a desktop can work. That's simply not the case. I have asked this question of a lot of people, and nobody can ever give me a straight answer about how the UI is so unusable on a desktop. They always talk about how it's not usable with a keyboard and mouse, which is totally false. it's very usable with a keyboard and mouse.
    My complaints and unhappiness do NOT stem from the fact that it's not the same and I cannot get used to it.

    Straight answer: It's not unusable, I just don't want to use it this way.

    Specific reasons: Every application that I run and depend upon is a classic desktop app. This is not going to change any time soon. To go to the Start Screen, means my "entire" freaking desktop goes away (on a single monitor setup) while I am whisked over to the new start menu to find another application to run. When this happens, I lose my visual on Outlook, my Microsoft Lync messenger and anything else running on my "classic desktop". If I get distracted or fire up a full screen metro app and instant messages come into Microsoft Lync, I have no visibility that I am getting a message. And on my work machine, I don't have speakers, so I don't hear the audible sounds.

    Metro apps are useless to me. I have large monitors and want multiple things open at the same time. I don't want one taking up 320px of my display and the other taking the rest of the screen. I WANT to resize windows to whatever size works best for me, not the half baked 2 metro apps per screen concept we have.

    When my screen is locked at work, I don't want people seeing anything from my system. Yet, if I choose to use a Metro app (which I probably won't, but if I did), with notifications turned on, an email which arrives pops up on the damn screen and you can more or less read the subject and the first line or so of the message. This could be an issue depending upon the content of the message.

    Live tiles "annoy" the crap out of me. They all end up looking the same and I have a hard time differentiating which are which. My People app sometimes displays pictures from facebook, my news app shows pictures and my Photos apps shows pictures..so they all more or less end up looking the same to me.

    Hot corners are a pain in the ass with multiple monitors. Sometimes you go for the charms bar and you end up on the second display. Sure, I can use the Win+C keyboard shortcut, but if my hands are already on the mouse than maybe I would rather use the mouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I really don't understand the "I want to get rid of it" mentality. If you don't use any metro apps, you never have to use Metro. But it's there if you want it. It's completely out of the way and won't interfere with you or anything if you don't want to use it.
    Why look at something and have it be presented if you don't ever use it? Have you ever deleted an icon from the desktop that an application put there after installation? Why not just leave it there, why do you want to get rid of it?

    I just wish that they would have included an "option" to boot directly to the "classic desktop" and turn on a start menu from the classic desktop. Give me option to make the "Start Screen" an icon on my "classic desktop" and then i can click on it in the rare event that I want to ever use it. Actually make it optional, rather than forced and have to workaround it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    aIf you don't like the new start menu, that's fine. But the start menu is *NOT* metro. It's a Win32 app that has been styled to look like Metro.
    No matter exactly what it is, it's the reason that I don't buy and run Windows 8 on my own personal computers and likely won't use it on work computers either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Straight answer: It's not unusable, I just don't want to use it this way.
    That's fair enough, and a completely reasonable and valid argument. So many people feel the need to justify their personal preference by manufacturing bizarre reasons (that usually aren't true) to hate it. For example, one guy claiming you could only add metro apps to the start menu. When I pointed out that wasn't true, he the said he hated it because they had generic icons rather than icons for the sites, when I pointed out how he could do that as well, he then complained that this wasn't what he meant at all.. he wanted web site links to be live tiles. When I pointed out how unreasonable that was, he claimed that wasn't what he meant.

    Etc.. etc.. No matter how much you address the claimed reasons for disliking it, it was something else. The reason was not any of those problems.. it was that he hadn't actually tried to give it a chance, and he just hated it for personal preference reasons. If that's the case, just SAY that (not talking about you here, because you are in fact saying that)

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Specific reasons: Every application that I run and depend upon is a classic desktop app. This is not going to change any time soon.
    Nor will it change anytime soon for me either. BUT, the flip side is that its a chicken and egg situation. Those apps won't come out if you don't use it. Microsoft has to start somewhere to get people building the apps you may eventually want to use.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    To go to the Start Screen, means my "entire" freaking desktop goes away (on a single monitor setup) while I am whisked over to the new start menu to find another application to run. When this happens, I lose my visual on Outlook, my Microsoft Lync messenger and anything else running on my "classic desktop". If I get distracted or fire up a full screen metro app and instant messages come into Microsoft Lync, I have no visibility that I am getting a message. And on my work machine, I don't have speakers, so I don't hear the audible sounds.
    You do know there is a Metro Lync app, right? And it's interesting because it posts notifications to both Metro and the normal desktop. Same with the Metro version of Messenger. I use the Metro messenger all the time (snapped to the side of my desktop) and even when i'm in a full screen Win32 app, like remote desktop or a game, I can see the notifications.

    I really don't get the argument about "losing your visual on outlook" when the start menu opens. Does the world end if you can't see Outlook for the 10 seconds it takes to start a new app? The start menu does not stay up, it goes away after you select something.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Metro apps are useless to me. I have large monitors and want multiple things open at the same time. I don't want one taking up 320px of my display and the other taking the rest of the screen. I WANT to resize windows to whatever size works best for me, not the half baked 2 metro apps per screen concept we have.
    Again, this is likely to change in the future. This is just the first version. I agree that the full-screen nature is not ideal for a desktop, but then I'm not advocating people use Metro for all their daily activities. That doesn't mean Metro sucks, or that its mere presence is a devastating affront to all of computerdom. It's just some additional apps you wouldn't otherwise be able to use. This is in *ADDITION TO* all the normal Windows functionality.

    Use your desktop 99.9% of the time, and if there's any metro apps you like, use them when you want. It's not the end of the world to have an additional environment you can access at will.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    When my screen is locked at work, I don't want people seeing anything from my system. Yet, if I choose to use a Metro app (which I probably won't, but if I did), with notifications turned on, an email which arrives pops up on the damn screen and you can more or less read the subject and the first line or so of the message. This could be an issue depending upon the content of the message.
    I don't think it does that. It only lists how many messages you have, not their subjects. And even if it does, you can turn it off. This is a configurable feature. All the lock screen notifications can be enabled or disabled.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Live tiles "annoy" the crap out of me. They all end up looking the same and I have a hard time differentiating which are which. My People app sometimes displays pictures from facebook, my news app shows pictures and my Photos apps shows pictures..so they all more or less end up looking the same to me.
    Ok, valid point. However, to be fair, this is the various apps faults. They could make better use of the live tiles that is less confusing. And again, you can configure this. Turn it off.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Hot corners are a pain in the ass with multiple monitors. Sometimes you go for the charms bar and you end up on the second display. Sure, I can use the Win+C keyboard shortcut, but if my hands are already on the mouse than maybe I would rather use the mouse.
    I have three monitors. I know what you mean. The same problem existed with Aero Snap in Windows 7. But, I've gotten used to it. What makes matters worse, is that if you use the hotspots on a different monitor, Metro moves entirely to that monitor. This is definitely an area that has to be fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I really don't understand the "I want to get rid of it" mentality. If you don't use any metro apps, you never have to use Metro. But it's there if you want it. It's completely out of the way and won't interfere with you or anything if you don't want to use it.
    Why look at something and have it be presented if you don't ever use it? Have you ever deleted an icon from the desktop that an application put there after installation? Why not just leave it there, why do you want to get rid of it?
    You seem to be responding to some imagined comment I made. I didn't say you had to look at anything. You don't have to look at anything Metro. Just don't run any metro apps and you will never see Metro. So i'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I just wish that they would have included an "option" to boot directly to the "classic desktop" and turn on a start menu from the classic desktop. Give me option to make the "Start Screen" an icon on my "classic desktop" and then i can click on it in the rare event that I want to ever use it. Actually make it optional, rather than forced and have to workaround it.
    Let me say it again. The start screen is *NOT* Metro. It's a Win32 application. It's just styled like a metro app. It's part of windows explorer, a Win32 application. It's just a program launcher. Use any third party program launcher you want. Use the taskbar as a program launcher. Get a dock app. Whatever you want to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    aIf you don't like the new start menu, that's fine. But the start menu is *NOT* metro. It's a Win32 app that has been styled to look like Metro.
    No matter exactly what it is, it's the reason that I don't buy and run Windows 8 on my own personal computers and likely won't use it on work computers either.
    So the whole reason you won't buy Windows 8 is due to a tiny function of the OS that is completely changeable with third party tools. Wow. Cut off your nose to spite your face much? I'm sure you don't like a lot of the apps that came with Windows 7, and bought or downloaded replacements. Why is installing a Start Screen replacement such a deal breaker when installing a new mail app isn't?

    What is it about Windows 8 that causes (hopefully) otherwise reasonable people to abandon all logic and become hysterical about it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    This is the first step in migrating the application base to the new platform that will work across different CPU's and architectures (Phone, Tablet, and PC).
    ...So that poeple can open the application they familiar with on any of their deice. Cool! Except that MS takes the wrong road to do so.
    It's much better to release software version adapted to the device than a single version for all devices. It's not difficult: You just need to remove the features which don't work well on the least powerful device.
    With Metro, you just have the version for the least powerful device on the most powerful one.
    I'm not against Metro apps per se, and having the same (or closely the same) app on you PC and your phone may be interresting, but on the PC they should come with the basic minimum that a modern software UI offers on such machine: Resizeable and Minimizeable. Preferably with a caption where you know the close button is/should always be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    The problem most people have is that it's not the same as they are used to, so they conclude that it's not aimed at desktops because, in their mind, the old UI is the only way a desktop can work. That's simply not the case.
    Maybe it's not the only way, but the old UI (I understand by this the Desktop) is the most efficient one and MS is not going to reinvent the wheel. Cars are driven with the same type of steering wheel for roughly 100 years and nobody has ever find anything better. Expect the same with computers. I'll bet you money that in 100 years we will still be using Windows as we know it today because that's the most efficient way to drive a computer. Touch screens come where they are relevant. Just like game consoles. You don't typewrite a document in Word with a game command. Do you?
    MS can come up with one million new ways of using a computer, they will never come close to the efficiency we enjoy today with the old UI. It's the fruit of a 40 years evolution. Generations of engineers have worked on it. Every computer and OS producers have adopted the window-based model. It's not going to go away anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    Those apps won't come out if you don't use it. Microsoft has to start somewhere to get people building the apps you may eventually want to use.
    And why do we need this? Why not make the apps Windows compatible? Why Metro-only apps? Why a separate workspace? Why a separate workspace subsystem? Why an UI in the UI? Didn't we have DOS for the same effect? Weren't we happy when finaly all DOS apps were replaced by Windows apps? Why returning the DOS look-alike model 20 years later?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Why returning the DOS look-alike model 20 years later?
    I used to like DOS. It was fast. After the BIOS post, what was it, 2 seconds?
    Perhaps the billions of errors like these has a little to do with it.

    Click image for larger version

    There is something wrong here. Win32 is still Windows NT.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Are you happy with Metro being on Windows 8 Desktop?
Related Threads
How to Open Modern Apps from Desktop in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to launch Metro apps from the desktop by creating a shortcut that can also be pinned to the taskbar. EXAMPLE: Metro Apps 2261
Hey there, I have a Toshiba Laptop with a Core i3 2.27 GHz 4GB DDR3 Dual Channel Memory and 500GB hard drive. Although this is a problem with both my laptop and desktop, desktop specs are in the specs section. When I boot up windows and then click Desktop in the Metro UI it loads very...
I need some help with my Windows 8 Desktop. Somehow I have changed something and now my desktop windows will not re-size or move. When I initially open a program or browser it opens fine in a small window somewhere on the screen. As soon as i grab the title bar 2 outlined windows appear on...
Hi everyone, today i was looking for some infos about new Windows 8 and I found nice video showing software, which could record Win8 metro UI. It's named Mirillis Action! I often record some Skype video conversations and this tool looks very interesting for Win8. ...
Hi there one improvement with IE on Metro is that IE10 on W2012 server takes you to the desktop and starts the desktop version of IE 10 -- the normal one -- not the hideous full screen thingy on the bog standard metro screen of W8 RP. RDP (Remote desktop) also fine --the standard version that...
Metro-only Windows 8 Means the Desktop Won’t Be Loaded at All - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook