Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?

  1. #71


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    And like I said, *I* do not have this problem in Windows 8. Just because you didn't have that problem on Windows 7 doesn't mean anything. Windows 7 *DID* have this problem, as evidenced by the link I provided (and there are many more if you search for "srvnet sleep"). This is not specific to Windows 8.

    I don't now what you mean by "the link surround "media streaming" which is not enabled" means.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    OK, maybe a couple of things. But not many. It's quite fussy and tightly specific about what you can pin out of the box. That was one of the things I first noticed as a limitation in Windows 8. There were numerous items I could access at the click of a mouse on a desktop that I couldn't do on the Start screen. For example a folder link or document. That's why this exists: "Pin to Start" Files in Windows 8
    Not many? The *ONLY* thing you can't pin to the start menu by default are documents. That's it. Everything else you can, and that's a lot of things. apps, folders, control panel items, mmc snap-ins, shortcuts, etc.. are all pinnable by default.

    If you really must pin a document, then create a shortcut to it and pin the shortcut, or use the hack you mention.
    I'll have to go back and undo the hack and see what it was I saw initially. But just about anything I right clicked on did not give the "pin to start" option. I know it says that folders are supposed to be pin-able (I assume that means folder links, too). For some reason, I recall having some problem with it...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 301
    Windows 8 Pro


    srvnet and streaming media were in the discussion. The problem exists on Win8 and evident by the discussion and it exists on this machine. To start doing work arounds and hacks to get an OS to work is the fault of the manufacturer, not the user. They provide the means to link PCs together and it should work; if not, then they need to fix the bug.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by rdwray View Post
    srvnet and streaming media were in the discussion. The problem exists on Win8 and evident by the discussion and it exists on this machine. To start doing work arounds and hacks to get an OS to work is the fault of the manufacturer, not the user. They provide the means to link PCs together and it should work; if not, then they need to fix the bug.
    Something that does not work as you want is not a bug.

    Something that does not work as it was designed to is a bug.

    Most people do not want their computer to sleep when another computer is accessing their media files. This is the designed behavior for the vast majority of users. Because you don't like that behavior, does not make it a bug. It works as it was designed to.

    My understanding is that there are some devices which "lock" the server and are constantly accessing it, I think certain versions of the Xbox do this. THAT might be a bug, but it's a bug with the Xbox rather than Windows, as Windows is doing what its supposed to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 301
    Windows 8 Pro


    If it doesn't work, it is a bug if the system is designed to allow implementation.

    [QUOTE=mbratch;176636][QUOTE=Mystere;176629]
    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    OK, maybe a couple of things. But not many. It's quite fussy and tightly specific about what you can pin out of the box. That was one of the things I first noticed as a limitation in Windows 8. There were numerous items I could access at the click of a mouse on a desktop that I couldn't do on the Start screen. For example a folder link or document. That's why this exists: "Pin to Start" Files in Windows 8
    The "Pin to start" and "Pin to taskbar" exists on just about everything. You can also create shortcut for apps and pin them if desired; I had one and deleted it because it restarted the app on every click. And that is another problem. If I start an app and try to use alt+tab to switch to the desktop when the app has just started, it will not work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by rdwray View Post
    The "Pin to start" and "Pin to taskbar" exists on just about everything. You can also create shortcut for apps and pin them if desired; I had one and deleted it because it restarted the app on every click. And that is another problem. If I start an app and try to use alt+tab to switch to the desktop when the app has just started, it will not work.
    Yes I need to go back and check. I'm referring specifically to "pin to Start" (not "pin to taskbar"). The most common things I keep on the desktop are documents, folders, and folder links. I know the files won't pin (which I remedied with the registry hack). I thought I had issues with the other items, too, but now I need to double check.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by rdwray View Post
    If it doesn't work, it is a bug if the system is designed to allow implementation.
    Except that the system is *NOT* designed to allow implementation in these specific circumstances. It may be cliché, but it is in fact a feature, not a bug. It just doesn't work how you want it to.

    Have you tried adding the runas command to your batch file? You can even save the credentials so that it doesn't request them every time.

    runas /savecred /user:administrator

    You need to set a password for the administrator account, of course (by default, there isn't one, as administrator is not allowed to login without a password)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 301
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwray View Post
    If it doesn't work, it is a bug if the system is designed to allow implementation.
    Except that the system is *NOT* designed to allow implementation in these specific circumstances. It may be cliché, but it is in fact a feature, not a bug. It just doesn't work how you want it to.

    Have you tried adding the runas command to your batch file? You can even save the credentials so that it doesn't request them every time.

    runas /savecred /user:administrator

    You need to set a password for the administrator account, of course (by default, there isn't one, as administrator is not allowed to login without a password)
    I use to program industrial computers to control processes. If I went and programmed a system that had a flaw in it because I did not implement a control variable, what do you think that customer would tell me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    You keep saying its a flaw. It's not. IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO THIS. IT IS BY DESIGN. IT IS INTENDED.

    How many times does one have to say it? It is doing what it is supposed to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    A behavior in software could legitimately be considered a flaw even if it is behaving as designed. The design itself could be flawed (design doesn't align with requirements), or the requirements upon which the design is based could be flawed (the requirements don't actually align with user expectations).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?
Related Threads
Hello everyone, So I am looking at buying a Windows Phone with my tax return and I am curious for those of you who own or are thinking about owning what your experience has been with the platform? I only use my phone for social media, texting, skype, calling, music player and gps. As far as I...
Ok, a few of us have had this thing for a few hours and have been able to kick the tires around. So, whaddya think? Obvious Talked about changes Start button Boot to desktop Can resize Metro apps to whatever size you want, can run more than 2 Lockscreen screenshow Ability to use...
Windows Defender Opinions in System Security
I searched and there are over 6000 threads so I decided to start a new one... Sorry. Anyway my question is twofold as follows: 1) How do you like Windows Defender? 2) On Windows 8 is Windows Defender enough or do I need to purchase Norton, MacAfee, etc...? Thanks
The consensus on this build seems to be that it is feature complete, but would I be correct in hopefully assuming that the ability to delete files on import and choose default landing locations for pictures would be something that is to come? I love Win 8 but it really seems almost massively...
I'm directly copying this from a comment I left on an article that was discussing Windows 8; but as the title implies, this will probably be the last thread I start on here, because frankly, it seems that no matter what, Win8 haters are going to hate, regardless of whether they give the OS an...
First Thoughts about Windows 8 in General Support
This should probably be posted elsewhere on this forum, so apologies in advance. I've installed the 8250 CP version under VMWare Player and have been experimenting with it for a week or two. It supports most of my apps and the older ones I have to use VM XP to use anyway, since even Windows 7...
I have a new system no operating system, blank HDD etc. I downloaded Windows Developer Preview 64 bit, burned it with FreeISOBurner onto a DVD+RW. During the installation process it got as far as expanding the files, when the installation stopped with a message saying that it could not find some...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook