Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?

  1. #31


    Posts : 28
    Windows 7 ultimate


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Really? Then why did you complain that when you added the facebook bookmark it didn't have notifications on it? That seems to indicate you thought that linking a bookmark should make it a live tile with updates. But that can't work. You need an app to get live updates.
    I'm saying why wasn't there an option to make it so. Why did I instead have to use a bookmark. I wasn't expecting the bookmark to do anything, because I didn't expect to have to use a bookmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    And that's exactly what Windows 8 does when you click the Add to Start Menu command in IE. It gives you an icon that's been customized by the site. Geez, come on... Why do you keep complaining about things the OS can in fact do?

    "when you use IE" so you're telling me Windows 8 will only work properly if I use IE? Not Chrome, Firefox, Opera.... Hmm wasn't there a court case about something like this recently?
    I haven't done this because I don't use IE, haven't since I was young, but maybe I'll try now, even though it should not be the case that you have to use IE to make tiles properly etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Windows 8 has not removed any of that functionality. It's still there if an app chooses to support it. Lots of apps do, such as Windows Media Player. WHY are you screaming that it can't do things that it can.
    I don't have "lots of apps", I'm commenting on the few I do have, the few I had on 7 that did these things, such as Zune. I don't like having to get into apps to pause my music, again years ago the ability was there to do so without opening them.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Ahhh.. ok... I thought you had real issues you wanted to resolve, not that you are upset that Microsoft didn't magically read your mind and develop and OS exactly as you wanted it to be (not that you bothered to tell them anyways).

    Your complaints seem to stem down to that fact that it is simultaneously different and the same, but both of these seem to be different and the same in ways you are not happy about. You complain that it doesn't do things any other os does. If you are so good at designing OS's, maybe you should take a crack it yourself.

    Metro is a version 1 thing. Windows 1 was not perfect. Windows 95 was not perfect. Windows XP was not perfect. This isn't perfect either, but each successive version got better. You're comparing Metro to Win32, which is where the breakdown occurs. Metro is NOT the next version of Win32. It's a completely new OS that is growing from the ground up.

    Maybe a future version will have desktop enhancements for those using it on a desktop, but version 1 means getting it all working on all devices. This is how software development works.

    Jay it's not worth the effort arguing with him. This guy is one of those "I'll take anything you give me" people I've mentioned. I almost chuckled out loud in my meeting when I read the "If you are so good at designing OS's, maybe you should take a crack it yourself" statement. Really original there.
    A lot of this stuff is common sense in OS development, which of course wouldn't have been common sense with windows 1, windows 95, or whatever other pre 2000 OS you want to throw out there. This is 2012, we live in a modern world with modern thinking, with very definite ideas about how software/hardware should work. He's saying excuse it because back in 1994 software didn't have that option either - why should it in this version in 2012? Amazing...
    And it is not a completely new OS built from the ground up, it's a tweaked Windows 7 OS with a new "shell" along side it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 28
    Windows 7 ultimate


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    Windows 8 does virtually everything Windows 7 did. *AND* you have Metro on top of it. So your comments are completely baseless.
    Virtually... so not everything. So there are things 7 could do that 8 s failing to do. And... what's that? It has Metro!? Oh please hold while I jump for joy!! Somebody has ripped my start bar off Windows 7 and replaced it with a cumbersome start page! Now I can die happy...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoneseven View Post
    I'm saying why wasn't there an option to make it so. Why did I instead have to use a bookmark. I wasn't expecting the bookmark to do anything, because I didn't expect to have to use a bookmark.
    You just keep going in circles. First you say you didn't want it to do it, then you say you did, then you say you didn't... The only thing that will give you notifications is a Facebook app, and Facebook has not yet written one for Metro. When they do, it will do that. This argument is really stupid. You have either apps or links, links can't be live. Apps can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoneseven View Post
    "when you use IE" so you're telling me Windows 8 will only work properly if I use IE? Not Chrome, Firefox, Opera.... Hmm wasn't there a court case about something like this recently? I haven't done this because I don't use IE, haven't since I was young, but maybe I'll try now, even though it should not be the case that you have to use IE to make tiles properly etc.
    Oh give me a break. The browser makes the icon. The Start menu displays whatever icon the browser makes. IE has the ability to do this automatically. Microsoft cannot magically make Google change its code to do this. Google is perfectly capable of creating links with web site icons in them, and the Start Menu will use them if they do.

    This is a limitation of Chrome, and they can change it if they want. So argue with them. The OS is not the cause of the failure here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoneseven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Windows 8 has not removed any of that functionality. It's still there if an app chooses to support it. Lots of apps do, such as Windows Media Player. WHY are you screaming that it can't do things that it can.
    I don't have "lots of apps", I'm commenting on the few I do have, the few I had on 7 that did these things, such as Zune. I don't like having to get into apps to pause my music, again years ago the ability was there to do so without opening them.
    Zune still does what it did in 7. I really don't understand your point.

    Virtually *EVERYTHING* windows 7 did, so too can Windows 8 do. Why do you keep insisting it doesn't?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    The OS itself has no ads. None of the MS written apps have ads. Third party app developers don't get part of the profits of Windows 8. They need to make money somehow.
    Not entirely true. The Microsoft Solitaire Collection app has ads. That one was written by Microsoft, no?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoneseven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    Windows 8 does virtually everything Windows 7 did. *AND* you have Metro on top of it. So your comments are completely baseless.
    Virtually... so not everything. So there are things 7 could do that 8 s failing to do. And... what's that? It has Metro!? Oh please hold while I jump for joy!! Somebody has ripped my start bar off Windows 7 and replaced it with a cumbersome start page! Now I can die happy...
    You're really climbing out on a limb now. Yeah, there are some features that were dropped in Windows 8. Not many, but some. The vast majority of what Windows 7 did, so too does Windows 8. The list is not huge, and many of the features were replaced with other features (like live tiles do what gadgets did).

    List of features removed in Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower2003 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    The OS itself has no ads. None of the MS written apps have ads. Third party app developers don't get part of the profits of Windows 8. They need to make money somehow.
    Not entirely true. The Microsoft Solitaire Collection app has ads. That one was written by Microsoft, no?
    If true, it must be a recent update, I don't recall there being ads before. On the other hand, this used to be something you had to buy. Windows only had Freecell and Solitaire (some versions had spider solitaire as well). The new games are significantly expanded over their older counterparts.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoneseven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    Windows 8 does virtually everything Windows 7 did. *AND* you have Metro on top of it. So your comments are completely baseless.
    Virtually... so not everything. So there are things 7 could do that 8 s failing to do. And... what's that? It has Metro!? Oh please hold while I jump for joy!! Somebody has ripped my start bar off Windows 7 and replaced it with a cumbersome start page! Now I can die happy...
    You're really climbing out on a limb now. Yeah, there are some features that were dropped in Windows 8. Not many, but some. The vast majority of what Windows 7 did, so too does Windows 8. The list is not huge, and many of the features were replaced with other features (like live tiles do what gadgets did).

    List of features removed in Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gadgets are better than live tiles though. No one on a desktop will be on the start page just to look at the live tiles. It works on a phone because you just get your phone out of your pocket and check quickly and put your phone back down.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 28
    Windows 7 ultimate


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You just keep going in circles. First you say you didn't want it to do it, then you say you did, then you say you didn't... The only thing that will give you notifications is a Facebook app, and Facebook has not yet written one for Metro. When they do, it will do that. This argument is really stupid. You have either apps or links, links can't be live. Apps can.
    I'll go over this once more so you get the jist, you seem to be having some trouble with this one.
    I saw the Windows 8 commercials and got this from it "Put all of your favorite shit in tiles that are personalized and customizable, making your hopepage truly yours". So... me, being naive, thought "awesome, everything just 1 click away!" So when I had installed it I thought "okay lets get facebook on this" I wasn't necessarily expecting to download an app, more... expecting the OS to do it for me, in some sense. When they've been barking about this for months, you'd expect to go to Facebook and "Install for windows 8!" and boom, you're done. I wasn't expecting it to be exactly like my phone and having to wait for devs to make an app for it, then put it on some marketplace. This is a desktop operating system, not a mobile device. I don't see how you aren't getting that... it should be different... it shouldn't be marketplace based with the dev's making apps to work with the OS.
    So I instead made some crappy bookmark hotlinks, and have made do with those for now, but feel as though those tiles need a whole lot more interactivity to them. I had expected ( silly of me I know) that because the WHOLE OPERATING SYSTEM is orientated around these tiles, that they would be more than just apps.Silly of me I know... call me crazy... but I expected something else, some way to make your own, or to design your own.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 28
    Windows 7 ultimate


    Here's an example of the incomplete feeling of this OS.
    I'm on desktop view, looking at music, and I think "let me check this online" so I go to start, which instead opens the start screen, where my browser is launched as an app, not as the browser fully. So I open youtube there, play the song, tab back to desktop and the song stops. This wouldn't happen if I had used the desktop version of the browser, but for that I'd have to find it and put it on my desktop, as the start button doesn't help me to get back into my computer files anymore, I go to any app and click "view in folder" and find the browser in it's program files, copy the shortcut to the desktop... just so I can use the damn thing how it's supposed to work!!You guys are just somehow so blinded by this that you think it's awesome, I think it's a piece of garbage I paid for. Why am I doing so much more work just to do mundane tasks? I can't even imagine trying to use this OS for work! The old start menu worked just fine, this one is cumbersome and gets in the way, as I've just explained.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?
Related Threads
Hello everyone, So I am looking at buying a Windows Phone with my tax return and I am curious for those of you who own or are thinking about owning what your experience has been with the platform? I only use my phone for social media, texting, skype, calling, music player and gps. As far as I...
Ok, a few of us have had this thing for a few hours and have been able to kick the tires around. So, whaddya think? Obvious Talked about changes Start button Boot to desktop Can resize Metro apps to whatever size you want, can run more than 2 Lockscreen screenshow Ability to use...
Windows Defender Opinions in System Security
I searched and there are over 6000 threads so I decided to start a new one... Sorry. Anyway my question is twofold as follows: 1) How do you like Windows Defender? 2) On Windows 8 is Windows Defender enough or do I need to purchase Norton, MacAfee, etc...? Thanks
The consensus on this build seems to be that it is feature complete, but would I be correct in hopefully assuming that the ability to delete files on import and choose default landing locations for pictures would be something that is to come? I love Win 8 but it really seems almost massively...
I'm directly copying this from a comment I left on an article that was discussing Windows 8; but as the title implies, this will probably be the last thread I start on here, because frankly, it seems that no matter what, Win8 haters are going to hate, regardless of whether they give the OS an...
First Thoughts about Windows 8 in General Support
This should probably be posted elsewhere on this forum, so apologies in advance. I've installed the 8250 CP version under VMWare Player and have been experimenting with it for a week or two. It supports most of my apps and the older ones I have to use VM XP to use anyway, since even Windows 7...
I have a new system no operating system, blank HDD etc. I downloaded Windows Developer Preview 64 bit, burned it with FreeISOBurner onto a DVD+RW. During the installation process it got as far as expanding the files, when the installation stopped with a message saying that it could not find some...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook