Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?

  1. #131


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    You forgot this -> <- in my quote. This smiley means tongue in cheek. It means that it should not be taken seriously. Obviously your nerves are clearly being touched if you took this as an insult. I'm just kidding around, Ray. I don't know how old you are, Ray, but I suggest to calm down. In light of what's happening in the rest of the world today, I think your problem with 8 is a cake walk.

    BTW, I'm 61. I've seen a lot of good and bad in my lifetime. I've seen my fair share of doctors. Every time they take my blood pressure it's near perfect every time. They always comment on it. Not much upsets me, especially an OS.

    Which market, Ray? The touch navigation market. The one that the general public is buying with phones, pads, lappies, convertibles, etc., and now PCs. The one we new was coming. Many of us happen to think MS did a great job adapting it to a PC. If touch isn't or "wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me", then I think you have no business ever looking at 8. Surely you must have researched it before installing and trying?

    Ok. It's "simply isn't for many users". Don't use it. It's that simple. I suggest to stick with Vista or 7. They'll be around for quite a long time. MS supplies a simple solution for those who dislike 8. If they were the monster company some make them out to be, they would end Vista and 7 support, but they don't and they won't for many years.

    Who's getting insulting here, Ray? "The great unwashed"?! Do you mean those that are not baptized with wisdom of the path that we who enjoy 8 have? Some day we hope you will see the light. Come to the light......Come to the light.......
    The poking tongue is usually associated with a razz, a wink is usually associated with a light ribbing, at least on all the sites I've been on. The icons on this site are quite odd compared to ones I'm used to.

    Why is it that because one feature of Windows 8 isn't a major factor for me in a tablet or PC, it's a reason not to buy one at all? It's like saying in a year's time, when all that you can get is Windows 8 on a tablet, that you'd better not buy a tablet, even if the form-factor is just what you need. Or that I can never buy a Windows PC again, because it comes with Windows 8. That's a bizarre way of thinking.

    I'm clearly one of the great unwashed, because I haven't 'seen the light' according to the acolytes on this forum. The fact that I'm using Windows 8 clearly indicates that I'm able to cope with it, but why should I love it?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #132


    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    I do like the typography!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #133


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by bluice32 View Post
    If posters like Mystere aren't currently on Microsoft's Payroll, they should be.

    Their brilliant logic? "If you don't like Windows 8, you're wrong."


    Please. Stop putting words in my mouth. I said no such thing.

    My position is what it has always been. If you don't like Windows 8, fine. You don't like it. Just stop making up BS arguments about why you don't like it. People have this need to justify their dislike for some reason, and nearly all of these excuses don't stand up to logical examination.

    If you don't like Windows 8, that's a personal preference. Admit that it's your personal preference. There is no argument with that. But when you start making claims about the OS that simply aren't true, you're going to get argument.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #134


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    And since you have me on my soapbox, why did Microsoft insist that Windows 8 apps could only work with a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768, not 1024 x 600, which was the most common tablet resolution to date? We already know that the RT was deliberately hobbled and did in fact have the potential to run Windows programs.

    So was the resolution requirement based on the same marketing decision, to force people to buy new tablets, or what? The start menu displayed perfectly on my tablet at the native 1024 x 600 resolution, but would not work until I increased the resolution to 1024 x 768, which made the desktop look awful.

    So what was potentially an interesting new OS for my tablet, turned out to be a waste of time. I don't for one moment believe that the resolution issue was a technical one, but a marketing one. Ask me to prove that and I'll tell you to go jump.
    I bet this was a decision based off of UI scaling at different resolutions. The reason I presume the resolution hack looked weird was probably because the display itself isn't designed for that resolution. On a typical 4:3 LCD monitor, that resolution looks fine. On a more 16:9 LCD display, it looks iffy. I doubt it was meant to buy new tablets. There are VERY few of those 7 powered tablets as it is, so it makes little marketing/profit sense to target such a small category.

    The app snap however, that would make more sense as being a marketing move as that would require EVERY laptop since vista that has the base resolution would need to be upgraded to use that feature even though on the Desktop with Windows 7 or 8, they can successfully snap windows together.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #135


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center



    This is a place for thoughts & opinions so I thought I would add my Thoughts & opinions.

    Different people like & dislike different things.

    Expressing one's opinion over & over will annoy some.

    Others will not be bothered by it.

    To keep on & on about something must be motivated by a reason.

    One could ask oneself, "Why am I doing this ?" .

    Seeking insight into one's actions by internal reflection is good.

    I apologize in advance if my thoughts & opinions here-stated offend anyone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #136


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I bet this was a decision based off of UI scaling at different resolutions. The reason I presume the resolution hack looked weird was probably because the display itself isn't designed for that resolution. On a typical 4:3 LCD monitor, that resolution looks fine. On a more 16:9 LCD display, it looks iffy. I doubt it was meant to buy new tablets. There are VERY few of those 7 powered tablets as it is, so it makes little marketing/profit sense to target such a small category.

    The app snap however, that would make more sense as being a marketing move as that would require EVERY laptop since vista that has the base resolution would need to be upgraded to use that feature even though on the Desktop with Windows 7 or 8, they can successfully snap windows together.
    There are actually quite a number of tablets (as well as notebooks/laptops) available that are Windows 7 compatible, these came out well before Windows 8 was even beta released. I mean, Microsoft has been bandying about that you don't need a powerful machine to run Windows 8. But sorry, you can't enjoy it without buying something with a compatible screen.

    I chose the Gigabyte as a value for money proposition, compared to the more well known tablet/laptop manufacturers. And I said that the registry hack allowed the tablet to display at 1024 x 768 (native resolution 1024 x 600) so that the apps would work, but naturally the desktop display would not look all that good. LCDs don't scale up very well. All the gestures etc worked fine and the apps screen looked no different in 1024 x 768 as it does in 1024 x 600. And one reason why I like the lower resolution is because it's easier on the eyes.

    If Microsoft had allowed lower resolutions to work with the apps, I think that it would have given people an opportunity to upgrade a perfectly working device and experience the apps at a relatively low cost. That may have prompted many to consider an upgrade to their device, if they found the apps to their liking. These aren't great economic times the world over, so relying on people upgrading perfectly functioning devices, just to experience Windows 8, I think is a poor move.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #137


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The poking tongue is usually associated with a razz, a wink is usually associated with a light ribbing, at least on all the sites I've been on. The icons on this site are quite odd compared to ones I'm used to.

    Why is it that because one feature of Windows 8 isn't a major factor for me in a tablet or PC, it's a reason not to buy one at all? It's like saying in a year's time, when all that you can get is Windows 8 on a tablet, that you'd better not buy a tablet, even if the form-factor is just what you need. Or that I can never buy a Windows PC again, because it comes with Windows 8. That's a bizarre way of thinking.

    I'm clearly one of the great unwashed, because I haven't 'seen the light' according to the acolytes on this forum. The fact that I'm using Windows 8 clearly indicates that I'm able to cope with it, but why should I love it?
    Ok, Ray. So far as I know the tongue in cheek is "razzing" and not to be taken seriously. I mean no offense to you, Ray. Just simply funning with you. I consider most members here technically advanced, for after all, it's a technology forum dedicated to 8. In fact, most here are more technology advanced than I, as I'm sure you are.

    I'm a novice. The building business is my specialty, so I comment more from a business point of view, although I don't have a degree in that either. I learned that by starting a business and reading a lot on it. All in all, I was college material that started to make a lot of money in learning a construction trade, so college went out the door.

    Consider yourself lucky if you're in IT, for the building business sucks since the U.S. housing crash and subsequently the economy decline. It's not looking very good, although I try to keep a positive attitude about it.

    Wouldn't you say that there's more than one issue you have with the components and structure of 8? The big one I see is that it is primarily designed for touch and that it doesn't belong on a desktop PC? We fanboiz (or whatever we're called) think MS did a great job in adapting it as such. One of the objectives and plans of MS with targeting a "touch market" is to create an OS that will be used across all devices to become familiar to all, not just the technically advanced. We are by far not the only ones that buy MS products as you know. We may think we're important so far as that is concerned, but we're not. We may be so far as mouth-to-mouth opinions and advertising.

    The Start Screen is the major component that's obviously the big difference of prior OSs. It's the big clue that MS is targeting a "touch market". It's the big change that some find hard to cope with. Touch is not the only objective of the Start Screen. Live tiles with updated personal information is the secondary. One is able to personalize it as such, but primarily it was created for touch.

    Would you please do me the honor of answering some questions I have, for you seem to be familiar with touch. The only touch device I've used is my Android phone and a few others of my friends. I have fiddled around with 8 a bit on devices in stores. I do plan on purchasing a bigger mobile touch device in the near future.

    Is a cascading Start Menu as easy or easier to navigate with than the Start Screen on any size screen? Please keep in mind that I have, as I'm sure others have, wide fingers that I find hard to use the on my phone's screen keyboard in the portrait view. I most always have to use it in landscape view. I'm aware that pad screens are bigger, therefore may be easier to use.

    Does (or will) the cascading Start Menu give me the updated personal information that I desire upon boot that the Start Screen has "spoiled" me with?

    If not, do you think MS could have incorporated that info in a newly designed cascading Start Menu such as 7 had?

    If not, what would you have designed?

    Can we agree that MS is targeting a certain market? Do you think MS is so ignorant to leave the business and power users (as consumers) out of their business plan?

    If not, do you think that a 9 or Blue is going to satisfy those?

    Bizarre way of thinking? Please forgive me, but it seems to me you skipped a few editions if your list under your name is complete. I'm well aware that 8 has some better underlying features, but the fact remains that it is primarily designed for touch with the Start Screen and All Apps as primary components to navigate with. Why don't we admit that anything hereafter that comes from MS will be primarily designed for touch. Others are designing for this trend as well.

    I think touch is here to stay. It's not going away. It's the future here now. A "Star Trek" thing so to speak. If you used 7 on a touch device as you say, then you had to have known that more advanced touch navigation was on it's way. Yes?

    Lastly, we "fanboiz" for the most part try not to troll or put anyone down for not liking 8 or even some of it's features. Please keep in mind that we use it for what it's designed to be. Surely we'll defend it for what it is. We think it to be a good thing just as it is. I, for one, think MS is on the correct track to reach a certain market. I think the 9 or Blue will fit your needs better. I think we all need to be patient with what is to come from MS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #138


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    If touch isn't or "wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me", then I think you have no business ever looking at 8. Surely you must have researched it before installing and trying?.
    For being 61, your ignorance sure does show. To say that someone has no business using something because of one minor facet that people admit they only spend seconds in, and can be easily ignored is just plain assnine. There are other benefits to being on Windows 8 that you and the "general public" must not be aware of in performance, security and other areas - obviously you didn't research?. But it must be "cool" to tell your grandkids you're up with the times.
    As you can see, Ray answered for himself. The post was directed at him, not you.

    Excuse me, but it's more than "one minor facet" as you stated. I don't appreciate the judgment call of ignorance. Rather a personal attack, wouldn't you say?! Like Adelle sings -> Who the hell are you?"

    I'm well aware of what 8 is and what's incorporated and did research it, thank you.

    And yes, my grandchildren think I'm the coolest!

    From now on and so far as I'm concerned, talk to the hand.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #139


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    If touch isn't or "wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me", then I think you have no business ever looking at 8. Surely you must have researched it before installing and trying?.
    For being 61, your ignorance sure does show. To say that someone has no business using something because of one minor facet that people admit they only spend seconds in, and can be easily ignored is just plain assnine. There are other benefits to being on Windows 8 that you and the "general public" must not be aware of in performance, security and other areas - obviously you didn't research?. But it must be "cool" to tell your grandkids you're up with the times.
    As you can see, Ray answered for himself. The post was directed at him, not you.

    I'm well aware of what 8 is and contains. I researched it as I do any product, thank you.

    It's more than "one minor facet" as you stated. I didn't appreciate the judgment call of ignorance. Seems to me to be a personal attack wouldn't you say? As Adelle sings -> "Who the hell are you?"

    Yes, my grandchildren think I'm the coolest.

    From now on and so far as I'm concerned, talk to the hand.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #140


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    If touch isn't or "wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me", then I think you have no business ever looking at 8. Surely you must have researched it before installing and trying?.
    For being 61, your ignorance sure does show. To say that someone has no business using something because of one minor facet that people admit they only spend seconds in, and can be easily ignored is just plain assnine. There are other benefits to being on Windows 8 that you and the "general public" must not be aware of in performance, security and other areas - obviously you didn't research?. But it must be "cool" to tell your grandkids you're up with the times.
    As you can see, Ray answered for himself. The post was directed at him, not you.

    I'm well aware of what 8 is and contains. I researched it as I do any product, thank you.

    It's more than "one minor facet" as you stated. I didn't appreciate the judgment call of ignorance. Seems to me to be a personal attack wouldn't you say? As Adelle sings -> "Who the hell are you?"

    Yes, my grandchildren think I'm the coolest.

    From now on and so far as I'm concerned, talk to the hand.
    The last time I checked, this was a public forum. And as such - I can quote to respond to anything I please. The statement that I quoted of yours was an ignorant statement, plain and simple. Touch/Start Screen at this current time and in it's current form are a minor facet, period. So to say someone shouldn't even bother looking at Windows 8 if they aren't using going to utilize touch, is in fact ignorant.

    And lol @ Adelle
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?
Related Threads
Hello everyone, So I am looking at buying a Windows Phone with my tax return and I am curious for those of you who own or are thinking about owning what your experience has been with the platform? I only use my phone for social media, texting, skype, calling, music player and gps. As far as I...
Ok, a few of us have had this thing for a few hours and have been able to kick the tires around. So, whaddya think? Obvious Talked about changes Start button Boot to desktop Can resize Metro apps to whatever size you want, can run more than 2 Lockscreen screenshow Ability to use...
Windows Defender Opinions in System Security
I searched and there are over 6000 threads so I decided to start a new one... Sorry. Anyway my question is twofold as follows: 1) How do you like Windows Defender? 2) On Windows 8 is Windows Defender enough or do I need to purchase Norton, MacAfee, etc...? Thanks
The consensus on this build seems to be that it is feature complete, but would I be correct in hopefully assuming that the ability to delete files on import and choose default landing locations for pictures would be something that is to come? I love Win 8 but it really seems almost massively...
I'm directly copying this from a comment I left on an article that was discussing Windows 8; but as the title implies, this will probably be the last thread I start on here, because frankly, it seems that no matter what, Win8 haters are going to hate, regardless of whether they give the OS an...
First Thoughts about Windows 8 in General Support
This should probably be posted elsewhere on this forum, so apologies in advance. I've installed the 8250 CP version under VMWare Player and have been experimenting with it for a week or two. It supports most of my apps and the older ones I have to use VM XP to use anyway, since even Windows 7...
I have a new system no operating system, blank HDD etc. I downloaded Windows Developer Preview 64 bit, burned it with FreeISOBurner onto a DVD+RW. During the installation process it got as far as expanding the files, when the installation stopped with a message saying that it could not find some...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook