Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?

  1. #121


    I think Microsoft is all in. They are in too deep to back out now. They need to shore up decreasing revenues from Windows licenses with something else. Leveraging the OS the world runs on to do this probably irresistible. Why settle for a one time license fee rather than a continuing stream? Why let Amazon and Apple make money off the back of their OS? Why shouldnít they get a piece of the pie? A continual revenue stream is more valuable than erratic ones.

    I canít see a compelling need to upgrade my computer. An old 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo does everything I need it to. If you arenít a PC gamer or involved with processing media or development, the processor stopped being a bottleneck a long time ago. The Samsung 830 SSD I put in this machine gave it a whole new lease on life. How often do you see your CPU pegged at 100%? Random IOs is what the bottleneck is and my machine blazes, even though it only supports SATA1. My work computer is a 2.53 Ghz i5 and there is no discernible difference in day to day use. If anything, my SSD makes things faster.

    What can Office 2013 do that Office 2007 canít that is of any consequence? I canít say Office 2003 because the auto-formula completion in Office 2007 made my life so much easier, probably the single most significant upgrade in my life. The market is mature. It is inevitable. Why upgrade when things do what you need them to? It is not a matter of need, just want.

    All this leads to an increased refresh cycle and decreased revenue streams. It is a mature market, which is just the way things go. Saturation is saturation. Microsoft is a blue chip company. They have a rock solid market cap. They have a solid track record. There is only so much room for growth. They are trying to mitigate by attacking it from a few different angles.

    The 1st, which has been so clumsily executed is Bing. Pushing a Bing toolbar update, paying people to use their search, exclusive search agreements that locked my Blackberry into having Bing as the only available search engine for the built in browser, thwarting the SGS1 (Verizon Fascinate) I was so looking forward to upgrading to by Bingifying it. They are making some headway though and their video search is quite useful in the adult video department (from what I hear because I have never in my 3 decades of life visited a tube site).

    Xbox Live integration with the OS - Xbox Live is front and center with Xbox music and video. It has been profitable in the console area and there will be many more eyes and wallets available by including it in W8.

    Windows Store- MS will serve as the gatekeeper, pretty much in the same role as Apple does with iTunes. If the model catches on and is successful, it will probably result in significant increases in revenue through their share of app costs and advertisement revenue.

    Subscription model Ė MS is pushing hard towards making Office subscription based. The pricing model clearly favors subscription; I think $99 for 5 home users for 1 year vs. $150 for a single Office home installation. This gets around the whole no compelling reason to upgrade problem. I wouldnít be surprised if Windows OS moves towards a similar platform. A steady predictable revenue stream is more valuable than a volatile one.

    All this is pretty clear to anyone with even a modicum of business sense. I donít blame them for taking the above approaches, they have a fiscal duty to their shareholders to act in the best interests of the company.

    While I donít blame them, it doesnít mean that I have to enjoy essentially be forced into going along with it with no viable alternatives. There wonít always be drivers for Windows 7, eventually I will need to buy new hardware and if Microsoft stays the course, I will have to eventually get on board.

    I also donít like being an OS behind, it bugs me. I like to work on the latest OS. I'd love to still be on Windows 8 if it fit my needs.

    I have no doubt Microsoft knows exactly how many Windows 8 licenses were activated and how many were reverted back to Windows 7.

    Maybe if they see more people like me popping up in their metric they will reconsider. Maybe W8 will catch on and I'm an old dinosaur set in my ways. If the latter, Iíll board the Microsoft train again a few stops later because they pretty much have me by the balls.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #122


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Yes. Ducks fly with ducks and they quack a lot.

    Yes again! You're on a roll, Ray! That's why MS went back to the drawing boards after 7 to create 8 because the market is demanding it. If you ever bought a touch device, you participated and added to the "touch device" market. Again, 8 is perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be. And yet again, perhaps a 9 will suit your desires.
    I thought that you at least wouldn't resort to insults. Nerves are clearly being touched.

    But which market? I bought a tablet that was touch enabled, but touch wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me. I bought the tablet for functionality that the tablet form-factor provided and the fact that it was a full blown PC able to mirror my desktop. That's also why it has a wireless mouse and USB keyboard case. I've used laptops/notebooks for years, but I much prefer the form-factor of the tablet and the current setup is excellent.

    While some may think Windows 8 is perfectly fine, it simply isn't for many users. If you know what Windows 9 will bring, and when, please enlighten the great unwashed.
    Let me get this right, you bought a tablet, but you don't like touch. Then you turn it back into a Notebook, or worse than a notebook by adding a mouse and keyboard, but you like the tablet form factor.

    you've lost me Ray
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #123


    Posts : 301
    Windows 8 Pro


    I am going to make one last comment which may solve a lot of issues with Win8 - DO NOT UPGRADE, FORMAT AND INSTALL NEW. I installed over Preview and almost everything was corrupt. Did a Reset and had major security problems. Did a Refresh and things have smoothed out. I will probably go back and delete the partition and to a complete install.

    I still do not think that a PC is the place for an Android OS....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #124


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    This poll and related discussion might be of interest to some of you:

    Poll: Basic Preferences--Using Metro Interface vs Desktop
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #125


    Posts : 301
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    This poll and related discussion might be of interest to some of you:

    Poll: Basic Preferences--Using Metro Interface vs Desktop
    I voted for the Desktop and it looks like we Desk-toppers are winning - everyone has their opinions, don't we....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #126


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Yes. Ducks fly with ducks and they quack a lot.

    Yes again! You're on a roll, Ray! That's why MS went back to the drawing boards after 7 to create 8 because the market is demanding it. If you ever bought a touch device, you participated and added to the "touch device" market. Again, 8 is perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be. And yet again, perhaps a 9 will suit your desires.
    I thought that you at least wouldn't resort to insults. Nerves are clearly being touched.
    You forgot this -> <- in my quote. This smiley means tongue in cheek. It means that it should not be taken seriously. Obviously your nerves are clearly being touched if you took this as an insult. I'm just kidding around, Ray. I don't know how old you are, Ray, but I suggest to calm down. In light of what's happening in the rest of the world today, I think your problem with 8 is a cake walk.

    BTW, I'm 61. I've seen a lot of good and bad in my lifetime. I've seen my fair share of doctors. Every time they take my blood pressure it's near perfect every time. They always comment on it. Not much upsets me, especially an OS.

    But which market? I bought a tablet that was touch enabled, but touch wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me. I bought the tablet for functionality that the tablet form-factor provided and the fact that it was a full blown PC able to mirror my desktop. That's also why it has a wireless mouse and USB keyboard case. I've used laptops/notebooks for years, but I much prefer the form-factor of the tablet and the current setup is excellent.
    Which market, Ray? The touch navigation market. The one that the general public is buying with phones, pads, lappies, convertibles, etc., and now PCs. The one we new was coming. Many of us happen to think MS did a great job adapting it to a PC. If touch isn't or "wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me", then I think you have no business ever looking at 8. Surely you must have researched it before installing and trying?


    While some may think Windows 8 is perfectly fine, it simply isn't for many users.
    Ok. It's "simply isn't for many users". Don't use it. It's that simple. I suggest to stick with Vista or 7. They'll be around for quite a long time. MS supplies a simple solution for those who dislike 8. If they were the monster company some make them out to be, they would end Vista and 7 support, but they don't and they won't for many years.

    If you know what Windows 9 will bring, and when, please enlighten the great unwashed.
    Who's getting insulting here, Ray? "The great unwashed"?! Do you mean those that are not baptized with wisdom of the path that we who enjoy 8 have? Some day we hope you will see the light. Come to the light......Come to the light.......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #127


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    If touch isn't or "wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me", then I think you have no business ever looking at 8. Surely you must have researched it before installing and trying?.
    For being 61, your ignorance sure does show. To say that someone has no business using something because of one minor facet that people admit they only spend seconds in, and can be easily ignored is just plain assnine. There are other benefits to being on Windows 8 that you and the "general public" must not be aware of in performance, security and other areas - obviously you didn't research?. But it must be "cool" to tell your grandkids you're up with the times.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #128


    Some very good points being made in this thread. Thanks, everyone!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #129


    If posters like Mystere aren't currently on Microsoft's Payroll, they should be.

    Their brilliant logic? "If you don't like Windows 8, you're wrong."

    Well guess what, you can say "You're wrong" all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that some of us are very underwhelmed by Windows 8. In fact some of us are quite worried about the direction Windows is taking as a whole. Some of us just don't like Windows 8. We don't have to provide statistics to back up our claims or quantify it for you or anyone else.

    If Microsoft wants their OS to be well loved, then they need to give people what they want. If Microsoft just wants to increase the bottom line, then they will be accurately labeled as out of touch, corporatist, greedy Scrooges.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #130


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    [Let me get this right, you bought a tablet, but you don't like touch. Then you turn it back into a Notebook, or worse than a notebook by adding a mouse and keyboard, but you like the tablet form factor.

    you've lost me Ray
    My car is an automatic, but I drive it like a manual using the gears, only I don't need to use a clutch. Just because some device has a feature, it doesn't mean that you have to use that feature. I simply wanted the form-factor of a tablet ie I could use it with or without a keyboard when I wanted. I mainly use it with a keyboard and when I don't, Windows 7 works fine. Windows 8 certainly works no better as far as the touch keyboard goes and nor does touch when you want to do something with the desktop. It is hard to understand when others do things differently.

    I forgot to mention, if what I have done is lost you, then why on earth has Microsoft been touting the Surface tablets with the magnetically attached keyboards? Not one keyboard mind you, but two completely different types. In your view, that must be utter madness.
    Last edited by Ray8; 17 Jan 2013 at 01:41.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?
Related Threads
Hello everyone, So I am looking at buying a Windows Phone with my tax return and I am curious for those of you who own or are thinking about owning what your experience has been with the platform? I only use my phone for social media, texting, skype, calling, music player and gps. As far as I...
Ok, a few of us have had this thing for a few hours and have been able to kick the tires around. So, whaddya think? Obvious Talked about changes Start button Boot to desktop Can resize Metro apps to whatever size you want, can run more than 2 Lockscreen screenshow Ability to use...
Windows Defender Opinions in System Security
I searched and there are over 6000 threads so I decided to start a new one... Sorry. Anyway my question is twofold as follows: 1) How do you like Windows Defender? 2) On Windows 8 is Windows Defender enough or do I need to purchase Norton, MacAfee, etc...? Thanks
The consensus on this build seems to be that it is feature complete, but would I be correct in hopefully assuming that the ability to delete files on import and choose default landing locations for pictures would be something that is to come? I love Win 8 but it really seems almost massively...
I'm directly copying this from a comment I left on an article that was discussing Windows 8; but as the title implies, this will probably be the last thread I start on here, because frankly, it seems that no matter what, Win8 haters are going to hate, regardless of whether they give the OS an...
First Thoughts about Windows 8 in General Support
This should probably be posted elsewhere on this forum, so apologies in advance. I've installed the 8250 CP version under VMWare Player and have been experimenting with it for a week or two. It supports most of my apps and the older ones I have to use VM XP to use anyway, since even Windows 7...
I have a new system no operating system, blank HDD etc. I downloaded Windows Developer Preview 64 bit, burned it with FreeISOBurner onto a DVD+RW. During the installation process it got as far as expanding the files, when the installation stopped with a message saying that it could not find some...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook