Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to play old DirectDraw games on Windows 8?

  1. #1


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1

    How to play old DirectDraw games on Windows 8?


    Hello!

    Apparently DirectDraw games don't run to well on Windows 8.
    I recently wanted to play a Desperados an old isometric tactics game. But it ran like 10% the speed it's supposed to. So it was unplayable.
    There are some alternative ddraw stuff out there. Actually one works somewhat: with wine3d-s ddraw.dll (and dependencies) the game runs mostly normally (with occasional crashes), but the game HUD is total garbage. Mostly black sometimes the proper thing flashes when I click on them.

    Is there a proper solution for playing old ddraw games?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    Hello!

    Apparently DirectDraw games don't run to well on Windows 8.
    I recently wanted to play a Desperados an old isometric tactics game. But it ran like 10% the speed it's supposed to. So it was unplayable.
    There are some alternative ddraw stuff out there. Actually one works somewhat: with wine3d-s ddraw.dll (and dependencies) the game runs mostly normally (with occasional crashes), but the game HUD is total garbage. Mostly black sometimes the proper thing flashes when I click on them.

    Is there a proper solution for playing old ddraw games?
    Desperados Specs:

    • Minimum Requirements
    • Win95/98/ME
    • PII266MHz
    • 64MB RAM
    • 4xCD-ROM
    • SVGA graphics card


    • Supported Functions
    • Number Of Players: 1
    • Memory Card
    That should run on Win8 with compatibility mode Win 98/ME and eventually 16bit color mode enabled if needed.

    If all fails it would still be playable in a VM in VirtualBox or VMware Player.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    Hello!

    Apparently DirectDraw games don't run to well on Windows 8.
    I recently wanted to play a Desperados an old isometric tactics game. But it ran like 10% the speed it's supposed to. So it was unplayable.
    There are some alternative ddraw stuff out there. Actually one works somewhat: with wine3d-s ddraw.dll (and dependencies) the game runs mostly normally (with occasional crashes), but the game HUD is total garbage. Mostly black sometimes the proper thing flashes when I click on them.

    Is there a proper solution for playing old ddraw games?
    Desperados Specs:

    • Minimum Requirements
    • Win95/98/ME
    • PII266MHz
    • 64MB RAM
    • 4xCD-ROM
    • SVGA graphics card


    • Supported Functions
    • Number Of Players: 1
    • Memory Card
    That should run on Win8 with compatibility mode Win 98/ME and eventually 16bit color mode enabled if needed.

    If all fails it would still be playable in a VM in VirtualBox or VMware Player.
    Unfortunately the compatibility modes don't help at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Then you don't have other options than the VM's. XP should still do it.

    VMware Player: Run Windows 8, Chrome OS on a Virtual PC
    or
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

    Then install XP in one of those.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Then you don't have other options than the VM's. XP should still do it.

    VMware Player: Run Windows 8, Chrome OS on a Virtual PC
    or
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

    Then install XP in one of those.

    Since apparently there's no real solution I'm thinking something like that. But using VM-s are very tedious.
    Is there a win98/2000/xp capable VM that works like xp mode for windows 8 or wine for linux?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Create a small partition and install XP on bare metal. You will need EasyBCD to reinstall the bootloader and recreate the boot entries.

    https://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EB...ter+Vista+or+7

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by vrosa View Post
    Create a small partition and install XP on bare metal. You will need EasyBCD to reinstall the bootloader and recreate the boot entries.

    https://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EB...ter+Vista+or+7

    I can install an OS on my computer. That's not what I'm looking for.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Don't install XP natively on a new Win8 pc: the hardware won't take it.

    Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    Since apparently there's no real solution I'm thinking something like that. But using VM-s are very tedious.
    Is there a win98/2000/xp capable VM that works like xp mode for windows 8 or wine for linux?
    Yes, even better than XP Mode: better graphics. VM's like that can be easily installed.

    You will need to use VMWare Player especially if you want a Win98 VM (to be able to install the VMware Tools additions for improvements in the VM).

    VirtualBox work fine too but there are no additions for Win98/Me but XP is working very good here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Don't install XP natively on a new Win8 pc: the hardware won't take it.

    Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    Since apparently there's no real solution I'm thinking something like that. But using VM-s are very tedious.
    Is there a win98/2000/xp capable VM that works like xp mode for windows 8 or wine for linux?
    Yes, even better than XP Mode: better graphics. VM's like that can be easily installed.

    You will need to use VMWare Player especially if you want a Win98 VM (to be able to install the VMware Tools additions for improvements in the VM).

    VirtualBox work fine too but there are no additions for Win98/Me but XP is working very good here.
    I think you missed the point: XP mode and wine runs within the native desktop, using the filesystem directly. Only clue that the apps are not native are the app windows, which have different styles and window frames.

    With VM-s that I know you have a virtual disk image and a guest desktop running in a window.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    I think you missed the point: XP mode and wine runs within the native desktop, using the filesystem directly. Only clue that the apps are not native are the app windows, which have different styles and window frames.

    With VM-s that I know you have a virtual disk image and a guest desktop running in a window.
    Well, you missed a point: XP mode is a VM.

    VM's CAN integrate in the native desktop (seamless mode, unity...) and you can use real disks if you want.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to play old DirectDraw games on Windows 8?
Related Threads
Games from store will download but in most cases when i click on the tile for the game the opening screen will come up and after a few seconds it minimizes its self and that is the end of it. No Microsoft games will play and very few non Microsoft games will play.
I have Windows 8.1 and a gaming laptop, but I still cant play games on full screen. For example Call Of Duty World At War; I can open the launcher or whatever it is and the game starts just fine. BUT, when it goes to full screen mode it just goes down and I cant open it anymore.This happens with...
Can windows 8 play fallout 3, assissen creed 3, left 4 dead 2, Shogun 2: Totalwar, borderland 2 and skyrim? Can windows 8 play any games that windows 7 can play? If NO, should I Downgrade it to windows 7 ?
I hav preordered fifa 14 and GTA 5 I also hav fifa 13,NSF most wanted and assassins creed.. Will I be able to play all these in my new windows 8 laptop?? please help me....
Dunno if this was asked before, but I searched and found nothing. I am having issues with games that seem to be DirectDraw based. There are two main things I noticed: Performance - Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive - the game works awfully slow. My machine may not be the best there is, its a...
How to play games faster with window 8 .
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook