Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 and Red Alert 2 Yuri

  1. #21


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    What does that mean LOOSE:
    Do you get 'mission failed' or the program simply crashes?

    If the mission does fail after a fixed time, make sure you don't have any game trainers or modifiers running in the background.

    If the program crashes... I don't know what to say: I use English 1.001 (even the no-cd) and it runs fine.
    Did you tested the game on another OS? But if the same game version and config files worked in XP/Win7 then one of the exe's doesn't like Win8.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8 64bit


    "What does that mean LOOSE:
    Do you get 'mission failed' or the program simply crashes?"

    MISSION FAILED

    If the mission does fail after a fixed time, make sure you don't have any game trainers or modifiers running in the background.
    No Modifiers no Trainers and anything like that.

    If the program crashes... I don't know what to say: I use English 1.001 (even the no-cd) and it runs fine.
    Did you tested the game on another OS? But if the same game version and config files worked in XP/Win7 then one of the exe's doesn't like Win8.[/QUOTE]

    On Win 7 everything runs fine.

    Best regards,

    Christian
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAdvice View Post
    MISSION FAILED
    Pretty weird.

    Does every building explode?
    Red Alert 2 - Everything explodes after first few 10sec-1min - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - Neoseeker Forums

    They mention a modified no-cd to be the cause because Westwood put in some protection code for this.
    Try to replace the gamemd.exe with another one (same version) or a backup of the original one.

    The compatibility settings you mentioned are correct. Usually is just the first time you need to run as admin.

    Regards
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 2
    Win 8


    Installed Red Alert 2 & expansion Yuri's Revenge on Windows 8. I use compatibility mode Win 98 running as administrator. All my drivers are up to date, and have back checked all DirectX settings. Game starts and runs normally, but approx. 5 minutes into play game freezes.

    I used to play this without problems on Win 7.

    Any solutions please?











      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAdvice View Post
    MISSION FAILED
    Pretty weird.

    Does every building explode?
    Red Alert 2 - Everything explodes after first few 10sec-1min - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - Neoseeker Forums

    They mention a modified no-cd to be the cause because Westwood put in some protection code for this.
    Try to replace the gamemd.exe with another one (same version) or a backup of the original one.

    The compatibility settings you mentioned are correct. Usually is just the first time you need to run as admin.

    Regards
    Hopachi
    Thanks that helped.

    I just did this:
    I started a brand new install on my Win7 Laptop from Disc to 1.000
    and then installed 1.001 and ARES. Now it works without any problems.
    I think the NoCD I had before from gcw was the problem.

    Thanks thanks thanks.

    Best regads,


    GoodAdvice
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Wassouf View Post
    Installed Red Alert 2 & expansion Yuri's Revenge on Windows 8. I use compatibility mode Win 98 running as administrator. All my drivers are up to date, and have back checked all DirectX settings. Game starts and runs normally, but approx. 5 minutes into play game freezes.

    I used to play this without problems on Win 7.

    Any solutions please?

    I've had that too but not on all maps.
    I believe this is for 1.001 as well...
    You can try Ares expansion dll or Npatch as well to see if they fix the issue.

    This can be due to instabilities / bugs in the gamemd but each map or addon or mod can cause this as well.
    -some missions fail to load and game crashes.
    -some maps crash after a particular time.

    Some saved games on Win7 for instance fail to load on Win8 or another pc with Win7:
    I've had this too... sometimes with an error message that I modified the game...

    Does it fail on each game you start or just particular ones?
    Try to start another game from scratch... new random map and see if it works.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAdvice View Post
    Thanks that helped.
    Glad to see that one fixed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    New issue I don't think I have seen with others. I do not have my YR disc and have been playing a mod called Robot Storm that requires no disc to begin with. So, until I find the disc I can't try a reinstall. I am playing from a copy of the RA2 folder from my win7 laptop on my win 8 desktop, and it launches perfectly fine, but the menu fails.

    What I see when I launch game is the splash title screen on the side never "opens u" and nor do the menus. I can click the menu items blindly, and I even got to a start skirmish screen by memory, but when selecting map, again I see nothing. Do I have to install fresh, or am I missing something with win 8? I tried to edit the ini as well.

    To clarify: Tried windows 98 compatibility, xp sp3, and with 16 bit on and off.
    Last edited by Dastreus; 06 Aug 2013 at 21:04.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    New issue I don't think I have seen with others. I do not have my YR disc and have been playing a mod called Robot Storm that requires no disc to begin with. So, until I find the disc I can't try a reinstall. I am playing from a copy of the RA2 folder from my win7 laptop on my win 8 desktop, and it launches perfectly fine, but the menu fails.

    What I see when I launch game is the splash title screen on the side never "opens u" and nor do the menus. I can click the menu items blindly, and I even got to a start skirmish screen by memory, but when selecting map, again I see nothing. Do I have to install fresh, or am I missing something with win 8? I tried to edit the ini as well.

    To clarify: Tried windows 98 compatibility, xp sp3, and with 16 bit on and off.
    Don't force the compatibility, one or two settings should work fine. The first run needs admin rights then it will work fine. You will probably need Win98/Me compatibility or none.

    First check the resolution in the ini: begin with 1024x768 and see if you can see anything (actually the menus use 800x600).

    I don't know what patch/mod tool the Robot Storm uses to be able to give you extra info.

    Good luck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Extra info

    You might try to reapply the mod on the Win8 machine:
    Robot Storm 1.99 Beta version download - Mod DB

    Actually you have a clean install:
    To play this mod, you require a clean install of Red alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge patched up to 1.001. To run it, simply run the EXE, then follow the obvious options on the launcher that appears. No need to uninstall, as it will uninstall itself on closure of Yuri's Revenge.
    Re-running the mod on the previously modded game should re-mod it an clean it up on exit.

    I did this kind of stuff with Yuri's Revenge Zero Hour but all the mods use the same sort of installer so it seems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Windows 8 and Red Alert 2 Yuri
Related Threads
Hello guys i have just paid for the ultimate collection of C&C now im trying to play the Red Alert 2 Yuris revenge but i get this problem "Look in the video below" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTV2guK7s0 Please help me im in a very much need of help as fast as possible im going to a LAN...
Hi! I run Windows 8.1 update 1 in my PC. I have in my Lan whs2011 server which monitors clients. WHS2011 gives alert that in this win 8.1 PC windows update service is not running. I don't know if it it should be running all the time or not. This might be odd question, but I'm a little bit...
Solved incomming email alert in Browsers & Mail
ok, is there anyway to set up an audible sound that lets me know if I've got email. and can I set it for just one email address but I would like to know when I've got incoming email. and can I can I use downloaded sounds for the computer? in this case I've down loaded star trek sounds.
Solved Virus Alert: I'm Free at Last! in System Security
If you receive an email from a trusted friend with "I'm Free at Last!" as the title, I would strongly advise against clicking on the embedded URL to try and find out why he/she is now free. The link will lead you to a website that features Dr. OZ talking about the virtues of green coffee beans as a...
Intruder alert or paranoia? in Network & Sharing
Hi, my new Win 8 system is showing, on the Desktop Network view under the heading Computer (2), an ASUS Nexus 7 occasionally when I power up. When I checked the properties and got the MAC address and then Google'd the info the device disappears. It is labelled NASAKI or something like that. It's...
Malware alert in System Security
Google has issued a malware alert, see story NetSeer suffers hack, triggers Google malware warnings | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook