Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Onboard VGA Drivers Won't Install. Please Help

  1. #1


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1

    Onboard VGA Drivers Won't Install. Please Help


    I need to install my onboard VGA driver for my mobo as a prerequisite to updating my motherboards BIOS but I get a error everything I try to do so. Has anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks.

    CASE: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer CaseCPU: Intel i5 4690K 3.5GHzCPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVOGPU: MSI GTX 970 MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 186PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series 900WOPTICAL DRIVE: SONY Black Blu-ray Burner 12XSSD: Intel 520 120GB SATA IIISSD 2: Crucial 64GB SATA IIIHDD 1: Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPMHDD 2: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPMHDD 3: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPMDISPLAY: Panasonic 50" Plasma 1080p HDTVWIRELESS ADAPTER: TP-LINK Dual Band N900FANS: 140MM (x1), 120MM (x3), 200MM (x2)KEYBOARD: Logitech G13MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic ChromaHEADSET: Logitech G930
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 187
    Windows 8.1 Pro/ Windows 8 Enterprise


    Hi, first why do you need to update BIOS? Are you going to upgrade your CPU? Unless you upgrade your CPU there is no need to update the BIOS in your case.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1


    I guess you do have a good point my friend as I currently have a 4th generation processor and have no plans to upgrade any time soon. I just assumed that it was always good to have to latest BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 187
    Windows 8.1 Pro/ Windows 8 Enterprise


    It just adds a microcode for the 5th generation CPU - no other fixes so I think that it is best to leave it alone.

    Good luck, werty
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Unless you upgrade your CPU there is no need to update the BIOS in your case.
    Ummm, where does it say the current BIOS is already at V1.9 (the last update)?

    I note 1.9 improved USB keyboard compatibility and several more updates in the last year includes several potential updates (fixes?) to significant features that had nothing to do with new CPU support.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeK
    I just assumed that it was always good to have to latest BIOS.
    It is critical to keep your OS and your security software current, but not hardware drivers (including the BIOS). Typically, as werty implies, drivers (including the BIOS) just add support for new hardware that came out since the last update. So it is important to read the change log to see what the update involves.

    For the BIOS, I typically update it when I get a new motherboard, then after that, generally if (1) it addresses a problem I am having, (2) adds support for new hardware I want to add (3), corrects a security issue (very rare), or (4) my BIOS is corrupt (also very rare).

    So what BIOS version are you currently running?

    For other drivers, again, when I first buy the hardware, I generally get the latest but after that, I go by the good ol' rule of thumb, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

    Now graphics card drivers are another story. For one, the driver typically is for dozens of cards and that makes distributing driver updates easy for AMD and NVIDIA, but can be confusing for consumers. GPU makers are constantly pushing out new drivers and most just add tweaked support for new games for a few of their cards. But many fix features we use with our specific card too. So again, read the change log and see if the update affects you and your card.

    If you are not a gamer always playing the latest and greatest game, you most likely don't need every graphics driver update either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Unless you upgrade your CPU there is no need to update the BIOS in your case.
    Ummm, where does it say the current BIOS is already at V1.9 (the last update)?

    I note 1.9 improved USB keyboard compatibility and several more updates in the last year includes several potential updates (fixes?) to significant features that had nothing to do with new CPU support.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeK
    I just assumed that it was always good to have to latest BIOS.
    It is critical to keep your OS and your security software current, but not hardware drivers (including the BIOS). Typically, as werty implies, drivers (including the BIOS) just add support for new hardware that came out since the last update. So it is important to read the change log to see what the update involves.

    For the BIOS, I typically update it when I get a new motherboard, then after that, generally if (1) it addresses a problem I am having, (2) adds support for new hardware I want to add (3), corrects a security issue (very rare), or (4) my BIOS is corrupt (also very rare).

    So what BIOS version are you currently running?

    For other drivers, again, when I first buy the hardware, I generally get the latest but after that, I go by the good ol' rule of thumb, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

    Now graphics card drivers are another story. For one, the driver typically is for dozens of cards and that makes distributing driver updates easy for AMD and NVIDIA, but can be confusing for consumers. GPU makers are constantly pushing out new drivers and most just add tweaked support for new games for a few of their cards. But many fix features we use with our specific card too. So again, read the change log and see if the update affects you and your card.

    If you are not a gamer always playing the latest and greatest game, you most likely don't need every graphics driver update either.
    Thank you for that piece of information. I just updated my BIOS to the latest version using M-Flash as MSI's desktop software seems unreliable in terms of stability.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1


    Thank you for that piece of information. I just updated my BIOS to the latest version using M-Flash as MSI's desktop software seems unreliable in terms of stability.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    BTW, I don't understand why you would need to install the onboard VGA driver as a prerequisite to update your BIOS in first place! ??? Especially since you are using a card, onboard should be disabled and even if needed, the basic VGA driver should already be built into the existing BIOS (as it is with every BIOS - otherwise, there would be no way to boot a brand new board). Very odd.

    Anyway, I am glad you got it updated with no problems, but again, in the future, I would put off updating the BIOS unless you need the update. A failed BIOS updates is one of the few updates that can irretrievably turn a motherboard into a paperweight. And while failed BIOS updates are less and less common, it can happen. An untimely power outage right in the middle of the flash, for example, could be costly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Onboard VGA Drivers Won't Install. Please Help
Related Threads
Solved What drivers to install? in Drivers & Hardware
I just recently got a new lenovo y50 and was wondering what drivers should I install and what bloatware should i uninstall?
Solved ATI drivers won't install in Drivers & Hardware
Hi, I have a ATI Radeon 5850 and just reinstalled Windows 8. I downloaded the "amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win8.1-64bit.exe" ATI drivers from Desktop but they seems not to be installed. I'm getting all the time a notification that from the CCC that a new version 14.12 is available. ...
drivers install? in Drivers & Hardware
in windows 7 missing drivers were automatically install upon restart,is this missing in win 8.1?
Hey guys Its InferneX, I've recently changed one of my PC to Windows 8 and I'm already having a huge issue installing a printer I bought a new printer Cannon Pixma MG3100 though whenever I try to install the drivers and all the other program from the disk I get this problem that shows? 12107...
Can't install all drivers in Drivers & Hardware
I have an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. It replaces a motherboard that failed. I have moved the Win 7 image over to the new board using a "restore to other hardware" feature in a backup program. It did not work properly. I am not able to get some drivers to install. For various (and sufficient) reasons I...
I have installed windows 8 in my pc on my dell laptop. So i have to install the drivers.for that i opened the device manager and i found only few exclamation sign. I installed the exclamated driver and now there are on exclamation sign. So my question is . . . is my installing of driver is...
I am running a pc with a switched boot for XP pro 32, W7 64 HP and W8 pro 64. I usually connect to my monitor with DVI and everything is hunky dory. I lent a friend the monitor cable for a few days and connected using an HDMI cable. I didn't have any specific graphics drivers on any of the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook