Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


testing a usb to mini usb cable

  1. #1


    Posts : 33
    Windows 8

    testing a usb to mini usb cable


    Amazon.com: StarTech Mini USB Cable - A to Right Angle Mini B - 3 Feet (USB2HABM3RA): Electronics



    Can I get some ideas on how to test a usb to mini usb cable? I am trying to use one with my ti 89. I can't tell if I have a defective cable or the software just sucks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Do you have another device that uses a mini USB port? Camera, MP3 player, etc?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Yeah, try the cable on another device, or try another cable on your TI 89.

    I can't tell if I have a defective cable or the software just sucks.
    Hmmm - In reading the manual for your TI, it is not really clear but it appears the USB cable for data transfer is not a standard USB cable used for charging.

    In amazon, if you search for TI 89 USB cable you get a bunch specifically listed for TI devices, including the 89.

    As seen on the official Texas Instruments TI-89 Accessories Page, listed are two USB cables and the TI Connectivity Kit which includes cables and software. I suggest you study these options to see which one you need, then shop for it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 33
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Do you have another device that uses a mini USB port? Camera, MP3 player, etc?
    No. It uses mini usb not micro usb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    Yeah, try the cable on another device, or try another cable on your TI 89.

    I can't tell if I have a defective cable or the software just sucks.
    Hmmm - In reading the manual for your TI, it is not really clear but it appears the USB cable for data transfer is not a standard USB cable used for charging.

    In amazon, if you search for TI 89 USB cable you get a bunch specifically listed for TI devices, including the 89.

    As seen on the official Texas Instruments TI-89 Accessories Page, listed are two USB cables and the TI Connectivity Kit which includes cables and software. I suggest you study these options to see which one you need, then shop for it.

    Thats the problem is uses mini usb not micro usb. Most devices now use micro usb.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    You don't own enough tech toys. Kidding aside. It's about 50 50 here. I have some older stuff with the mini and some new tech with the micro usb. I have half a dozen or so assorted USB cables hanging on a coat hook next to my desk. Most were just for charging the batteries in said device.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 14 Jul 2015 at 06:44.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8.1


    Buy another lead is the obvious way.

    For a quick look, physically examine the plugs/sockets for damage, with a good light and a magnifying glass. That won't tell you about the rest of the lead though.

    You can test for continuity plug to plug on the lead with an ohmmeter/multimeter with small enough probes, mine are far too chunky for that job and would need some fine wire added to get into those small plugs.
    Possible to do but fiddly, hardly worth the effort.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE
    Thats the problem is uses mini usb not micro usb. Most devices now use micro usb.
    The bigger problem, as I see it by your manual, is your TI uses a proprietary cable - so any mini or micro will not work.

    mini to micro USB adapters
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

testing a usb to mini usb cable
Related Threads
Basic Specs Brand New Toshiba Satellite C855 Win 8 64-bit 6 GB RAM Display Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics (2000) Driver: Intel 9.17.10.3040 Playback Devices
Memory testing? in Performance & Maintenance
Hey any idea on good software to stress ram of a computer?
Hi everyone I'm quite satisfied after some exhaustive testing that W8.1 is definitely worthwhile upgrade from both W8 (and W7 - provided you can manage without the Start menu in W7). Everything I've tried works without a problem - including complex apps like Photoshop CS6 and VMware player /...
I have seen some around and can gain access to them but they are from dubious sources. What's the latest build number you recommend and a safe place to download it? Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4XXIqvXfY I tried Win8 Pre Milestone 3 into my laptop too (Win7) works fine on my laptop! :D but why to use Win8 M if we can make Win7 Looks Like Win8 and Win7 SP2 include Win8 Fetures and more something nice... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssd77XIItLQ
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook