Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Harddrive randomly goes to 100% and system doesn't respond

  1. #41


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post

    Told you had similar issue,SMART did not for me, went about mine for months, another drive been working well for me for weeks now. Mine was an SSD which usually brick right away not slowly.
    Good thing I made a system image earlier today will be ready for when this drive dies. Thanks anyway
    If it did it once already, then chances it will again if this truly is the reasons for your issues. As changed ports and cable. Your most welcome, anytime !! Let us know how it goes.
    I've deicded to install Hard Disk Sentinal. It reported 779 errors during data transfer. However I'm not sure if this is related to my issue (had this drive for 9 years) If it happens again I will check this number and report back. Right now though, I am going to bed. Getting late. Take care!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post

    Good thing I made a system image earlier today will be ready for when this drive dies. Thanks anyway
    If it did it once already, then chances it will again if this truly is the reasons for your issues. As changed ports and cable. Your most welcome, anytime !! Let us know how it goes.
    I've deicded to install Hard Disk Sentinal. It reported 779 errors during data transfer. However I'm not sure if this is related to my issue (had this drive for 9 years) If it happens again I will check this number and report back. Right now though, I am going to bed. Getting late. Take care!
    Good software ! 9 years it quite sometime for drive, matters to usage. Use other test from software too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    Yea it wasn't the case. Turned the machine on this morning and the issue happened again. The value didn't increase. Ah well, it was just to see if it was data/power. Now I know

    It's been s uper bad today. 5 times in the last 90 minutes

    between 16:00 yesterday and 16:00 today the issue has happened 29 times!
    Last edited by Microbillgates; 03 Jul 2015 at 10:11.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    It's no use >_< it keeps happening it's really annoying, because I could be doing important work and it just happens

    Actually, it appears since yesterday I have gained 8 raw read errors
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    It's no use >_< it keeps happening it's really annoying, because I could be doing important work and it just happens

    Actually, it appears since yesterday I have gained 8 raw read errors
    When received these transfer errors, yes can be due to SATA Cable, bad or improper not right one and also the SATA power cable. Also if the connections are loose can cause same result. Recall in SMART if this line shows any numbers to the right, Ultra ATA CRC error count .

    Well we know it is not the SATA port since another drive so far is working fine on it. Possibly assume the Hard Drive is going bad.
    Funny how chkdsk did not show anything, but i never seen it to say.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    It's no use >_< it keeps happening it's really annoying, because I could be doing important work and it just happens

    Actually, it appears since yesterday I have gained 8 raw read errors


    When received these transfer errors, yes can be due to SATA Cable, bad or improper not right one and also the SATA power cable. Also if the connections are loose can cause same result. Recall in SMART if this line shows any numbers to the right, Ultra ATA CRC error count .

    Well we know it is not the SATA port since another drive so far is working fine on it. Possibly assume the Hard Drive is going bad.
    Funny how chkdsk did not show anything, but i never seen it to say.
    I will take a screenshot of the current SMART info and I will run checkdisk once more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    It's no use >_< it keeps happening it's really annoying, because I could be doing important work and it just happens

    Actually, it appears since yesterday I have gained 8 raw read errors


    When received these transfer errors, yes can be due to SATA Cable, bad or improper not right one and also the SATA power cable. Also if the connections are loose can cause same result. Recall in SMART if this line shows any numbers to the right, Ultra ATA CRC error count .

    Well we know it is not the SATA port since another drive so far is working fine on it. Possibly assume the Hard Drive is going bad.
    Funny how chkdsk did not show anything, but i never seen it to say.
    I will take a screenshot of the current SMART info and I will run checkdisk once more.
    Thanks, should always do that here for help if you can. Also with chkdsk give you a way to post here if it works running it on possible failing drive now.

    Get text of checkdisk results on Desktop

    1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

    2. In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

    get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

    3. You will now have a CHKDSKResults.txt file created on your desktop that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    I left it on overnight, and it got stuck at 14%!. I even tried booting into a recovery USB but I still got the same issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Sounds like may need to go ahead and invest in a new HDD. Talking before about other drive not being enough space as operating system only take 16GB maybe few more GB with updates, so do not need big drive for OS, unless have a lot of software. Maybe now should try a SSD as they are getting cheaper.

    What do you use second drive for ? Have a backup drive ? Are files and software backed up now ? Said you had an image backup of Windows 8.1 ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Harddrive randomly goes to 100% and system doesn't respond
Related Threads
System Freezing randomly in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
My issue is not a BSOD but this is the only thread I could find that seemed close to my issue. Starting about 2 weeks ago my PC started freezing up where i was required to power it down and restart. It does this while doing many things, from gaming to watching videos to sitting idle I have since...
CD drive does not respond in Drivers & Hardware
I am running Windows 8 on a laptop. Until recently, everything worked. Now, my CD drive does not read the disk or respond to an eject, but it shows up in Device manager. When I tried to look at from a command prompt it says it cannot find the drive. Due to my fiddling around, there is now...
Solved system image backup - no harddrive option? in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, For some reason, system image backup is no longer allowing me to choose a hard drive for the destination of a system image backup. Space isn't the issue, as the drive I want to back up to has more than enough space for my C: drive. There is already an image stored on the drive, but I'm...
I have a dual boot, two hard-drive MSI K9A2-CF based system. One drive has Windows 7 running with all the updates and is incredibly reliable, never stops for anything. One drive has Windows 8.1 running and randomly locks up, mouse & keyboard non-functional, desktop and open applications still...
System doesn't recognize me as an admin in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hey, I hopped on to my computer this morning and tried to download a program, and the computer will not suddenly not let me run anything as an admin, won't let me install/uninstall/change any program. I have checked and my account definitely says that it is an admin account still, so I am not...
I had purchased Windows 8 in the first month of its release and since then I haven't encountered a single error. But off late, I'm experiencing serious trouble. Whenever a Windows automatic update is installed, after shutting down the laptop when it's booted again I get a message on a...
Often, when turning off the pc, it doesnt power off completely (windows turns off, but the pc stays on, to poer off I need to press the power button for a few secons) and at the next startup, it displays a driver power state failure dump. Also, I seem to get some random system service exception...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook