Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How Do I Remove these Unauthorized Devices?

  1. #1


    Posts : 58
    win 8.1

    How Do I Remove these Unauthorized Devices?


    In my device manager under network adapters there are a list of "bluetooth devices" and "TAP-32" and "TAP-Windows" devices that were not there before. Last week I may have installed a bluetooth software without realizing it, which I mistook it for an upgrade. Please take a look at the screenshot I posted. Circled in red are these devices. How do I remove them completely?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT issue.jpg  
    Last edited by sileebo; 25 May 2015 at 22:15.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    The easiest way for you is to restore back to the date prior to installing this software:
    Open Control Panel->Recovery->Open System Restore
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Bluetooth is created because your Wifi Adapter is Bluetooth capable. TAP is the old way that Windows would create VPN connections. Mainly a left over from the Windows 98 days. ISATAP should be the new standard that Windows 8 uses for IPv6. Only way to find it, is by checking in Device Manger to show "Hidden Devices".

    They are not unauthorized and need to stay.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    The easiest way for you is to restore back to the date prior to installing this software:
    Open Control Panel->Recovery->Open System Restore
    I am guessing wrong post. If it was in regard with this one on those Hidden Devices. The OP has no problem. Because the Bluetooth adapter is built into their device, TAP is the old Windows VPN Tunneling protocol.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 58
    win 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Bluetooth is created because your Wifi Adapter is Bluetooth capable. TAP is the old way that Windows would create VPN connections. Mainly a left over from the Windows 98 days. ISATAP should be the new standard that Windows 8 uses for IPv6. Only way to find it, is by checking in Device Manger to show "Hidden Devices".

    They are not unauthorized and need to stay.
    Hi broe. I unhid the hidden devices in device manager and I've attached a pic so you can see. Let me know which of these devices to uninstall and which ones to keep. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wifi issue 2.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Again you cannot uninstall those items. They have to stay.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 58
    win 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Again you cannot uninstall those items. They have to stay.
    I dont understand. Youre saying that these TAP drivers need to stay? That makes no sense since I never needed them to connect to the net. They just appeared out of nowhere. And people have complained about them also.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    If you have no use for them. Access your BIOS, go to Peripheral Devices and disable Blue Tooth and the Adapter then they won't show up in Device Manager. However, if you click on the view hidden devices, they will show up but grayed out because they become orphaned. Just right click on each one and uninstall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    If you have no use for them. Access your BIOS, go to Peripheral Devices and disable Blue Tooth and the Adapter then they won't show up in Device Manager. However, if you click on the view hidden devices, they will show up but grayed out because they become orphaned. Just right click on each one and uninstall.
    Actually that will break the OS, because of how they have changed Windows 8.1.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by sileebo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Again you cannot uninstall those items. They have to stay.
    I dont understand. Youre saying that these TAP drivers need to stay? That makes no sense since I never needed them to connect to the net. They just appeared out of nowhere. And people have complained about them also.
    Again TAP has to stay, because it is used for IPv6. As for the Blue Tooth device. If you never connect say a pair of Blue Tooth speakers. Windows 8 will just stop the service.

    If you go to uninstall items like TAP. Windows 8 will just keep reinstalling it, because it is an part of Networking.

    If you are having problems on space issues on the hard drive. Suggest off loading any documents, music, videos, pictures to a external drive, or get a NAS for your network that you can place them on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How Do I Remove these Unauthorized Devices?
Related Threads
How to identify Unauthorized access from event log? in User Accounts and Family Safety
I had left my laptop in college lab after locking it. Not sure if I had left it in sleep mode. Today when I checked the event log has an entry at a time I wasn't there!The system has returned from a low power state. I left the lab at 12:30. Log has an entry in power troubleshooter at 12:32. ...
Unable to Remove BT Devices in Drivers & Hardware
(Note this is a different issue to the previous poster) Windows BT stack has always been flakey, but this problem has me stumped. I've been using a number of HC-05 serial bluetooth adapters, and I need to delete their pairing info and virtual serial port association. If I go 'Device and...
Found this out: the Broadcom driver updates that Microsoft provides causes Windows 8.1 to not prompt passcodes for pairing new Bluetooth devices. --- I've noticed that I'm unable to un-pair already paired devices (two Windows Phones, an Android phone, and Android tablet). By uninstalling every...
I need some advice on checking my mom's computer for security threats and unauthorized access. As much as I have advised her what not to do, she took a call from a scammer. They made her believe they were a subcontractor from Microsoft. They logged on to her computer. She can't tell me exactly what...
How to Add or Remove Trusted Devices for your Microsoft Account You can designate a Windows 8 PC or other device (like a Windows Phone, a Surface, or another tablet), as a trusted device to use with your Microsoft account. When you use a trusted device to perform sensitive actions like...
:confused: Recently, I purchased an HP desktop computer with win8. I have a Rii mini keyboard remote control that is only a few months old and has worked reasonably well with my previous Acer laptop. Now though, it has stopped working completely and I can't uninstall it from the "Devices and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook