Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Possible SSD failure ?

  1. #31


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    You have a very nice system with quality components, baring some unfortunate slip in QC, you shouldn't be having problems like that. There ar two different SATA controllers, Intel and Marvell and all the ports /connectors on one controller should be same with Marvell being not very good and notably slower. So, only problem could be with one of connectors not having a good contact. It doesn't matter which connector you use as long as it is on same controller. Marvell you can use for CD/DVD drives and/or older HDDs that can't reach SATA3 (6GB) speeds anyway.
    Thanks for compliment, hoping not any failure from the motherboard. Well i have Intel controllers if this is what you mean.
    Click image for larger version
    This may help you see board and amount of connectors, Port 1 was where the SSD in question had the issue, as now i moved HDD off port 2 placed it on port 1 and SSD on Port 2.The OS drive is on Port 0 and is also a Crucial SSD same model as one in question. Have 2 DVD-ROM's on sSata ports 0 and 1. So not sure rest you mean, is connection on board you feel bad or SSD ? Thanks for all your responses !! So far nuttin's happening since the swap as i type here again.

    Click image for larger version

    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011-3 - GA-X99-UD3 (rev. 1.0)

    What confuses me is when people talk controllers, there are controllers on SSD and the board, right ? So when you speak of controller which one are we referring too.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Read benchmark of 2 SSD's not bad speeds.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Controllers and ports (connectors) are not to be confused with each other. Controllers are on MB, in this case one (SATA3) is Intel and is in the chipset and other (Marvell) has its own chip. Intel controller has 4 ports (connectors 0 - 3) and Marvell controls other 2 plus any eSATA (external SATA) there might be. It's inferior in speed and capabilities but is just fine for lesser HDDs and CD/DVDs.
    Of course SSD, just like HDDs have another controller on-board and belongs to SCSI IDE standards of which AHCI is enhanced IDE standard and are of course downward compatible.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Controllers and ports (connectors) are not to be confused with each other. Controllers are on MB, in this case one (SATA3) is Intel and is in the chipset and other (Marvell) has its own chip. Intel controller has 4 ports (connectors 0 - 3) and Marvell controls other 2 plus any eSATA (external SATA) there might be. It's inferior in speed and capabilities but is just fine for lesser HDDs and CD/DVDs.
    Of course SSD, just like HDDs have another controller on-board and belongs to SCSI IDE standards of which AHCI is enhanced IDE standard and are of course downward compatible.
    O.k. and as you see the Intel is 0-5 SATA III and 0-3 sSata ports. Marvel controller can only be in the SSD itself, correct ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Thanks to explanation, but is this causing the issues ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Controllers and ports (connectors) are not to be confused with each other. Controllers are on MB, in this case one (SATA3) is Intel and is in the chipset and other (Marvell) has its own chip. Intel controller has 4 ports (connectors 0 - 3) and Marvell controls other 2 plus any eSATA (external SATA) there might be. It's inferior in speed and capabilities but is just fine for lesser HDDs and CD/DVDs.
    Of course SSD, just like HDDs have another controller on-board and belongs to SCSI IDE standards of which AHCI is enhanced IDE standard and are of course downward compatible.
    O.k. and as you see the Intel is 0-5 SATA III and 0-3 sSata ports. Marvel controller can only be in the SSD itself, correct ?
    No. Marvell controller is on MB. That MX 100 has Micron controller on the drive itself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Controllers and ports (connectors) are not to be confused with each other. Controllers are on MB, in this case one (SATA3) is Intel and is in the chipset and other (Marvell) has its own chip. Intel controller has 4 ports (connectors 0 - 3) and Marvell controls other 2 plus any eSATA (external SATA) there might be. It's inferior in speed and capabilities but is just fine for lesser HDDs and CD/DVDs.
    Of course SSD, just like HDDs have another controller on-board and belongs to SCSI IDE standards of which AHCI is enhanced IDE standard and are of course downward compatible.
    O.k. and as you see the Intel is 0-5 SATA III and 0-3 sSata ports. Marvel controller can only be in the SSD itself, correct ?
    No. Marvell controller is on MB. That MX 100 has Micron controller on the drive itself.
    Where on motherboard, in mine ? Nothing in Device manager, would it be shown there ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    My other thoughts if possible, if the port is bad in anyway. The HDD is on the suspected bad port but not failing, could the HDD be less sensitive to a problem then a SSD ? Since the SSD not failing on Port 2 now, which HDD was originally on, said before how sensitive a SSD can be to bad cables, bad signal and bad connections. Just a thought, because before the swap and just changing cables still took two weeks happen again, so time is still on my side in this situation being possibly the SSD drive .

    Now if i am not understanding something about controllers, i felt if it was a motherboard controller problem, hardware or IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller drivers or even saying a Marvell controller which i see nothing to show this on the system. Maybe something to do with Micron controller for Crucial SSD. Otherwise i would feel both SSD's would of had the same issues eventually, being i have 2 Crucial MX100 same model and one being the OS drive with no issues.

    Possibility and the odds of motherboard controller being an issue in most cases it would affect the other SSD and or all SATA 3 ports. Bad port, yes i agree, not great odds for one to be bad, but possible, bent pin inside. Only other thought i heard something about bad trace, whatever that is.

    If any read article from Crucial with people having same issues seems to point towards it, even firmware did nothing for it and i did update that, although there issues seemed to be more consistent then mine.

    Hey, i am learning more from this, bare with me, the frustration is setting in since it is also a intermittent issue and is not easy to pinpoint. Trial with no error, Yet !
    Last edited by jds63; 15 Jun 2015 at 22:15.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Marvell controller for SSD, not Micron, Micron is Flash Memory type.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI are listed controller/s on MB, ie. chipset. Under Disk drives are listed SSDs and HDDs. I must have been looking at different version of your MB (didn't click on your link), looks like that one has all inclusive in chipset.
    I don't know if you looked at Intel IRST drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ST-RAID-Driver
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Possible SSD failure ?
Related Threads
Possible HDD Failure? in Drivers & Hardware
I don't know if the S.M.A.R.T test I ran today was a indication of a possible HDD failure? Here's a pic to see if I'm reading it wrong or if I should be worried. 52255
Hey, I got some BSOD problems. Do you got time & experience to help me? :) I got Windows 8 at the moment, I will install 8.1 shortly. Had 8.1 before i re-installed OS when the first BSOD showed up, so I doubt that 8.1 will fix things completely. My problems ATM! - Driver Power State...
HD failure? in Drivers & Hardware
Hi, I currently own an HP Envy M6 with Windows 8.1, and every time I boot, it comes up with an error message stating that there was an error with the Hard Disk and says to press f2 to run diagnostics. After I run the disk diagnostics it says everything is ok, but it never boots into Win8... Any...
Win 8.1 install failure(s) in Installation & Setup
I have a new laptop pre-loaded with Windows 8 single language and I have been trying to install Win 8.1 I have tried the install from the windows store AND the ISO file install....both have failed. I made sure that one of the windows updates was uninstalled (cant remember the kb, but it was an 8.1...
KB2785094 Failure in Windows Updates & Activation
Anybody else having problems with this update in today's patch Tuesday offerings? I've had it fail to install on 3 different machines with error code 80070002, although I was able to install the sub-updates included in KB2785094 (KB2788350, KB2790920, KB2792009) via their respective .msu files.
Solved Modern UI Failure in General Support
I installed an update this morning (the little action center flag in the bottom corner of the desktop told me to), after which my start screen displays nothing except the background, whenever I search for anything it says "This app can't be searched". Nothing relating to the start screen can open,...
Win 8 64x Update failure in Windows Updates & Activation
I received the MSI GX60 yesterday and while using it for the 2nd day, my computer restarted in order to complete updating windows 8. However this update was interrupted by the laptop suddenly shutting down. I then proceeded to use the F3 recovery function to restore Windows to factory settings, but...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook