Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Possible SSD failure ?

  1. #21


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Have not tried changing ports yet because of the understanding if OS drive recognized where the D: drive will be if i move it to say Port 2 instead of Port 1 which it is on now, put drive E: on Port 1 see if the port is bad or not. Question i was asking as I have no other PC to test the drive on. The drive with the issue only has games on it. Read post #18 understand how i wanted to test it. Thank you for your thoughts and hopes, as i am determined find the source. Hoping it is the drive or like you say because i rather not have to RMA the motherboard, removing it won't be fun.
    You can actually change ports as long as you don't change drive letters or port settings i.e. from AHCI to IDE. Also note that changing ports doesn't actually change drive letters unless you do so yourself. That said, it may be worth your while to see if the port is actually bad by moving the drive to a different port. Also if you swap drive ports, you'll probably have to change the drive order in the BIOS so the system knows which port the OS drive in on.

    BTW I too have a Gigabyte motherboard and found Gigabyte's tech support to be utterly worthless.

    Anyway try swapping ports to see what happens.

    Peace

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Have not tried changing ports yet because of the understanding if OS drive recognized where the D: drive will be if i move it to say Port 2 instead of Port 1 which it is on now, put drive E: on Port 1 see if the port is bad or not. Question i was asking as I have no other PC to test the drive on. The drive with the issue only has games on it. Read post #18 understand how i wanted to test it. Thank you for your thoughts and hopes, as i am determined find the source. Hoping it is the drive or like you say because i rather not have to RMA the motherboard, removing it won't be fun.
    You can actually change ports as long as you don't change drive letters or port settings i.e. from AHCI to IDE. Also note that changing ports doesn't actually change drive letters unless you do so yourself. That said, it may be worth your while to see if the port is actually bad by moving the drive to a different port. Also if you swap drive ports, you'll probably have to change the drive order in the BIOS so the system knows which port the OS drive in on.

    BTW I too have a Gigabyte motherboard and found Gigabyte's tech support to be utterly worthless.

    Anyway try swapping ports to see what happens.

    Peace
    Thanks !! What i did I just swap ports with Drive D: and E: , not the C: drive (OS). Hopefully soon this will determine if Port 1 is bad which now has a different drive on it (E: Drive) or if the SSD that kept disappearing which is now on Port 2 does it again, then it is the SSD drive. Rather have drive be issue, easier RMA then a motherboard. Odds are sometimes greater for drive being bad, then one SATA port, unless it is something else causing it. This can take days for results, last time over 2 weeks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Been a few days since swapping ports, nothing has happened yet as far as any loss to any drives. Intermittent issues are a real pain, need a lot of patience.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Yeah I know what you mean because its pretty much guesswork. Anyway let's hope all is good and go from there.

    Until then...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean because its pretty much guesswork. Anyway let's hope all is good and go from there.

    Until then...
    Some guess work..........yes. Done enough research. Trying to stress each drive by using them to try to recreate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Came across this before, started reading it again, this is the exact SSD model i have the issues with in fact i have 2 as one has the OS on it and is fine.
    Why i felt might be the drive, but again swapping ports recently has not proved it yet. MX100 Causes Bluescreens, Disappears from system - Crucial Community
    Last edited by jds63; 13 Jun 2015 at 13:06.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Nothing has happened so far after swapping ports, tried stressing drive by playing games that are on it for hours, even one on port is was on trying to use drive as much as possible, using benchmark software anything can think of to see if port fails.
    Strange issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    There is the possibility the port the SSD drive was originally on is bad... unless you're using it (the port) for another drive and that drive has no issues?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    You have a very nice system with quality components, baring some unfortunate slip in QC, you shouldn't be having problems like that. There ar two different SATA controllers, Intel and Marvell and all the ports /connectors on one controller should be same with Marvell being not very good and notably slower. So, only problem could be with one of connectors not having a good contact. It doesn't matter which connector you use as long as it is on same controller. Marvell you can use for CD/DVD drives and/or older HDDs that can't reach SATA3 (6GB) speeds anyway.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    There is the possibility the port the SSD drive was originally on is bad... unless you're using it (the port) for another drive and that drive has no issues?
    I am and have been using it for my HDD is on that port now for last 4-5 days with no issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Possible SSD failure ?
Related Threads
Possible HDD Failure? in Drivers & Hardware
I don't know if the S.M.A.R.T test I ran today was a indication of a possible HDD failure? Here's a pic to see if I'm reading it wrong or if I should be worried. 52255
Hey, I got some BSOD problems. Do you got time & experience to help me? :) I got Windows 8 at the moment, I will install 8.1 shortly. Had 8.1 before i re-installed OS when the first BSOD showed up, so I doubt that 8.1 will fix things completely. My problems ATM! - Driver Power State...
HD failure? in Drivers & Hardware
Hi, I currently own an HP Envy M6 with Windows 8.1, and every time I boot, it comes up with an error message stating that there was an error with the Hard Disk and says to press f2 to run diagnostics. After I run the disk diagnostics it says everything is ok, but it never boots into Win8... Any...
Win 8.1 install failure(s) in Installation & Setup
I have a new laptop pre-loaded with Windows 8 single language and I have been trying to install Win 8.1 I have tried the install from the windows store AND the ISO file install....both have failed. I made sure that one of the windows updates was uninstalled (cant remember the kb, but it was an 8.1...
KB2785094 Failure in Windows Updates & Activation
Anybody else having problems with this update in today's patch Tuesday offerings? I've had it fail to install on 3 different machines with error code 80070002, although I was able to install the sub-updates included in KB2785094 (KB2788350, KB2790920, KB2792009) via their respective .msu files.
Solved Modern UI Failure in General Support
I installed an update this morning (the little action center flag in the bottom corner of the desktop told me to), after which my start screen displays nothing except the background, whenever I search for anything it says "This app can't be searched". Nothing relating to the start screen can open,...
Win 8 64x Update failure in Windows Updates & Activation
I received the MSI GX60 yesterday and while using it for the 2nd day, my computer restarted in order to complete updating windows 8. However this update was interrupted by the laptop suddenly shutting down. I then proceeded to use the F3 recovery function to restore Windows to factory settings, but...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook