Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Brand new HP laptop will not start up

  1. #11


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    It should start up after being plugged in for just a few minutes. The all day, hours thing is just to initialize the battery so it lasts longer. A good thing to do but the laptop should start up right out of the box.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Addictive Gamer View Post
    @broe24 & cbwilsha
    You guys do know that new battery needs to be *fully* charged prior to first usage? this is the first thing you do to make battery live longer.

    Maybe I'm wrong I don't know?
    Only if your going to run it on battery alone. You can run it from the power pack even with a battery that needs to be recharged, or no battery at all. The power pack can run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time. The manual will tell you not to run on battery only for the first time until it is fully charged.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by cbiweb View Post
    Bought a HP laptop today, took it out of the box, put in the battery, connected the charger, it wouldn't turn on.
    Charger is working because there is an orange-ish light indicating power to the machine.

    Removed the battery and used only the charger. The power light was then white, but still no startup.

    Removed charger, left the battery removed, and pressed the power button for 30 seconds. Connected everything again, still nothing. Power light is back its orange-ish colour.

    Please tell me this is only because the battery is new and uncharged.
    What is the model number?

    While the manual may not have said to fully charge, HPs come with a quick start guide where they typically say to fully charge the battery before using. And note not all notebooks are the same. Some require a battery to be in circuit - that is, some will not operate on charger only. And when a computer is brand new and turned on the first time, a lot of setup is required - so the setup routine may be expecting a battery too.

    My experience with computers goes back many years, so please think before replying to someone as if they're a newbie. Not everyone is stupid, and not every situation is the same as yours.
    Sorry, but this attitude is no better. These people are all volunteers giving up their free time just trying to help you and we have no clue what your experience or level of expertise is because YOU FAILED to state your experience when you started this thread. So we have no choice but to assume you are a newbie to notebooks because it is more egregious for helpers to assume a poster who provides next to nothing for information is an expert. After all, why would they be seeking help if they had years of experience, unless they provided clear information in the first place?

    Plus YOU FAILED to tell us anything about this notebook other than it is a new HP. Unless you state the specs, or let us know this is the same computer as listed in your System Specs (since many posters have more than one computer, or come seeking help for others), we can only speak generically and must assume that you are a newbie to notebooks, and forums too.

    So I would ask when you are seeking FREE help from people who are donating their time that you think before taking offense to an helping hand. And when seeking help you post complete information about your hardware, the problem, and your experience level so we can all start from the same page without anyone taking offense when nothing but sincere good intentions was meant. Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Addictive Gamer View Post
    @broe24 & cbwilsha
    You guys do know that new battery needs to be *fully* charged prior to first usage? this is the first thing you do to make battery live longer.

    Maybe I'm wrong I don't know?
    Only if your going to run it on battery alone. You can run it from the power pack even with a battery that needs to be recharged, or no battery at all. The power pack can run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time. The manual will tell you not to run on battery only for the first time until it is fully charged.
    Finally, a post (alphanumeric's) that is accurate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    While the manual may not have said to fully charge, HPs come with a quick start guide where they typically say to fully charge the battery before using. And note not all notebooks are the same. Some require a battery to be in circuit - that is, some will not operate on charger only. And when a computer is brand new and turned on the first time, a lot of setup is required - so the setup routine may be expecting a battery too.
    There is absolutely nothing in any of the "quick-start" papers or online manual for this model (HP 15-f027ca Notebook, fwiw) that mentions ANYTHING about charging the battery, etc. It's all based on what to do AFTER the machine is powered up. Very odd for HP to leave out such important info, but there it is. I did wonder if this particular model was different from past models I've owned.

    Bottom line, it was DOA, so it went back the store for exchange. The replacement behaved normally, no problems.


    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    Sorry, but ... we have no clue what your experience or level of expertise is because YOU FAILED to state your experience when you started this thread. So we have no choice but to assume you are a newbie to notebooks because it is more egregious for helpers to assume a poster who provides next to nothing for information is an expert. After all, why would they be seeking help if they had years of experience, unless they provided clear information in the first place?
    The troubleshooting I had already done (and did mention)... isn't a typical newbie thing to do. And it's hard to provide a lot of info about the laptop when I can't even turn it on. Model numbers and basic info that's on labels isn't really that helpful. PLUS, based on past experience, when I provide a lot of info (if it's available), the majority of helpers don't bother to actually read it, and ask me the same things I already posted. So now I wait for helpers to ask, because they're going to anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    Plus YOU FAILED to tell us anything about this notebook other than it is a new HP. Unless you state the specs, or let us know this is the same computer as listed in your System Specs (since many posters have more than one computer, or come seeking help for others), we can only speak generically and must assume that you are a newbie to notebooks, and forums too.
    Again, little to post since the machine wouldn't boot up to gather the more vital/useful information.
    Also, being a brand new laptop, unable to turn on, it would be 100% unlikely that it's listed in my system specs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    So I would ask when you are seeking FREE help from people who are donating their time that you think before taking offense to an helping hand.
    The only offense I took was the person who assumed I hadn't read the manual. True, many people don't, but to basically accuse a person of not reading, that's a tad arrogant; especially if he/she thought I was a newbie. That's an unfriendly way to talk to a newbie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    ...And when seeking help you post complete information about your hardware, the problem, and your experience level so we can all start from the same page without anyone taking offense when nothing but sincere good intentions was meant. Thanks.
    Complete information about the hardware:
    As mentioned above, most people don't bother to (or don't want to) read a lot of details and specs and text. They like to read the first sentence or two, then start asking questions that have already been answered. If they don't have the time to read my detailed issues, I certainly don't have time to type it all out. And in this case, there weren't many details to give anyway.

    Complete information about the problem:
    Pretty much did that. New laptop. Won't turn on. Added a few details about what I tried to get it to work. Can't say much more than that regarding the actual problem.

    Complete information about my experience level:
    Why? It makes no difference. Laptop won't turn on. Obviously, whatever experience level I'm at, it doesn't include this. That's like asking someone what their level of driving experience is when they take their car in to see why it won't start.

    Anyway, I'm off to get things done now. Thanks for your feedback/input.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Model numbers and basic info that's on labels isn't really that helpful.
    Not true at all. Model numbers allow us to look up the notebook and become familiar with it. In that way, we can also verify the information (or lack of information) in the manuals. This is not a matter of trust, but again, because we cannot assume a poster's experience level, so this is the prudent thing to do. Less guessing this way, and certainly fewer misunderstandings, hard feelings and misperceptions where volunteer helpers felt it necessary to apologize to you because you took offense when none were intended.

    The troubleshooting I had already done (and did mention)... isn't a typical newbie thing to do.
    I disagree. Everything you did is pretty basic for any notebook user - even pushing the power button for 30 seconds - which I will add, is typically a pointless, newbie action! Note according to your manual, there's no mention pressing the power button for any length of time, except 5 seconds to power off.

    You returned it so all is moot now. But I ask again, should you seek help on ANY tech support site, that you not assume we will assume your experience level. Because we can not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Do not forget to back up the hard drive after you get it tweaked to your liking and software loaded on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Brand new HP laptop will not start up
Related Threads
Adding SSD to a brand new Asus laptop in Installation & Setup
I've bought a new laptop , it's an Asus K95 series. (K95VB) Since it has an open slot for a second drive i also bought an SSD for it , a Crucial M500 240Gb if that should matter. So the laptop comes preinstalled with windows 8. There are no discs (recovery,repair,...) with the system. (a...
BSOD on a brand new 2 day old Lenovo laptop in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I just got the Lenovo Z710 laptop with I7-4700, 8gb, 1TB, Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GEForce 745 graphics card. We had only loaded CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, AVG anti-virus & World of Warcraft (WoW) gaming. As soon as my son logged onto WoW, he got a black screen & then the BSOD. I am...
Hi, I recently bought a brand new laptop (MSI GT70 2OD, Dragon Editon 2) in August and even since I bought it I kept on getting lots of BSOD. First I thought I was a driver issue so uninstall my Nvidia Drivers (Back to stock drivers). Then few days after I got another one, so I decided to refresh...
Solved Very high RAM use at a brand new laptop? in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, I recently got a new laptop, first thing I did was delete most bloatware and such, and there really isn't a whole lot remaining other then OS and drivers. However, when checking the taskmanager recently I noticed it using 80-90% of the RAM. While being under very little use. Only thing was...
Hey, My parents just bought me a gaming laptop ASUS off amazon but i ended up putting on EBay for sell. After the buyer received, he claimed that this was already used due to there was a update done on it like 5 months ago but I've never used it ever since i got it from my parents as a gift....
Solved Brand new laptop problems in Windows Updates & Activation
I'm setting up an MSI CR70 for one of my staff and am having nothing but problems. I removed some of the bloatware and installed avast! plus a couple other programs and it seemed to be working. She had to ship the laptop back to me because it had become unresponsive and she couldn't use it. I...
As mentioned above..... Vote..... :)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook