Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Effect of RAM Upgrade?

  1. #21


    Yes, MS has made windows with some settings for an average user but that "average" is just their definition and may or may not apply to majority. With so many different configurations out there I don't believe "one size fits all" is possible. If you want to make system as close as possible to it's full potential, some things have to be adjusted manually.
    Anyway, adding more RAM can help only systems that exceed available free RAM while running normal programs and /or their number, otherwise it's just wasted.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Yes, MS has made windows with some settings for an average user but that "average" is just their definition and may or may not apply to majority.
    And I contend it does - and by a long shot.

    It may not cover the 5 - 10% on one extreme and the 5-10% on the other extreme, but it does cover the 80 - 90% in the middle. And we know this because there are 100s of millions of Windows users who share with Microsoft their usage information and have for many many years. And since virtually every single Windows computer becomes a unique computer within the first few minutes after it is powered up the very first time, as users load up their security programs, network configurations, user preferences, extra drives, productively software, that is a lot of empirical data that is used to determine what is best for the most number of users.

    With so many different configurations out there I don't believe "one size fits all" is possible.
    Which is the point. There is no one size fits all here - especially when it comes to the PF which when left to Windows to manage, changes dynamically per user, per machine and by what the user is doing. But again, while every computer is as unique as every human out there, they are all much more alike than different.
    If you want to make system as close as possible to it's full potential, some things have to be adjusted manually.
    I am not denying that. But what I am saying is you need to really do your homework and have a thorough understanding of how virtual memory works and how it works with your specific computer AND for each user of that computer in order to make manual adjustments better than Windows can. And then you need to regularly (daily, if you do different tasks on different days of the week) check and adjust as necessary.

    If you cannot measure performance gains, let Windows do it. Otherwise, it is likely just wishful thinking or the placebo affect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Effect of RAM Upgrade?
Related Threads
Since upgrading to W8.1, GE now looks like 3-d without using glasses...a double image of red/blue. I don't have anything 3-d related on my PC. I searched Google Earth 3-d and nothing came up. Any ideas?
i want to completely remove an application from my system i was recommended Revo uninstaller i googled about it and it says it make or delete some changes in computer registry i just wanted to know is there any bad effect of this software (revo) computer on registry if i use it in completely...
Solved Tardis effect in Chillout Room
Can someone explain how and why an 800MB avi file emerges from a dvd conversion process a whopping 2.5GB ? The conversion was completely without any formatting ie, titles text, and chapters etc. Trivial I realise, just very curious. Thank you.
Placebo effect? in General Support
I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or not, but I just finished installing that huge update to Windows 8.1 (~950MB) and now, for some reason, CPU intensive tasks seems a lot quicker. I've also noticed that gaming is smoother since the update. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just...
Fast boot no effect in Performance & Maintenance
I have Asus Maximus V formula z77 with latest EUFI firmware, and EVGA GTX 680 classified with EUFI firmware. Bios is set to fast boot etc, and it is enabled in windows, but I'm seeing no difference from before. I was using boot racer and seeing 11-14 second windows load times with another 10-15...
This is my favorite application. Enjoy.. iTouch
This recent thread (Way of Performing Clean Install of Windows 8 OEM) (which also spawned this one--Marketplace Vote Win8 OEM Machine) identifies a number problems arising because of the way OEM’s (particularly Dell) are installing Win8. The first thread, at its most fundamental level, deals with...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook