Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

SSD Drives

  1. #11


    Hi,
    Give them this part number and see what they can come up with:SH103S3B
    You can also download F/W updates from:Download SH103S3_526_Win, for SH103S3 | Kingston Technology
    EDIT: Don't forget to set AHCI mode in BIOS before doing the update.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Good decision. I would never again run an OS from a spinning disk. My oldest SSD is from 2008 and still running fine. I have gathered 10 SSDs by now - some I use as external disks, e.g. to run my virtual systems or to boot directly into a Linux distro. On one I have a clone of my main system which I can run from my eSata enclosure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    All:

    Well I knew what I was getting into!

    Good thing I tried it on a non critical Desktop!

    It is a Kingston HYPERX 480GB update Kit.
    Comes with drive, mounting plate to fit desktop drive bay & ACRNIS cloning software!
    Oh Yes I forgot, a fancy screwdriver for putting in the mounting screws!

    Installation went well set the boot drive to cd drive inserted CD 7 it booted to a menu for the same instruction on how to in stall. It stated that after the installation was complete to change the boot drive to the Kingston drive.
    Did that! Rebooted & it partially works!

    It runs all the software from Win7 from the win 8.1 charms, but just goes to the desktop on most items!

    It needs a firmware update to win 8.1!

    However when I went to Kingston's on-line service it is so complicated that it is useless.
    For instance it wants the version number that is not available on the HYPERX drive & will not send the Email without it. Even a fake one!

    It is perfectly obvious that Kinston is NOT interested in Desktop Computers.

    Now, after the fact, I see a post that cautions me about Kingston!

    Kingston IS NOT HELPFUL WITH PROBLEMS AT ALL!

    I will get this SSD working because it is FAST, but not worth the time, which I have plenty of, money & aggravation
    with, no HELP, Kingston!

    If anyone out there has any comments, suggestion, help or sympathy, please POST

    I can still use the computer if I need to. I am posting this from my ASUS Motherboard desktop running Win 8.1 & a KINGSTON HYPERX 480GB SSD.

    These kinds of problems are not new in my 85 years! At least it was not BSOD like many cases!

    That "OLD FART"

    Tully
    Should of tried this drive as suggested, no need for firmware update went smooth on my Windows 8.1 64bit and is priced less and better speeds Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com plus bit more space
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I have two Crucial SSD's in my laptop, a 128 Gb for Windows and a 256 for data. M4 drives I think? I have a Crucial MX 100 256 GB in my desktop PC that I run windows from. My DATA is on 500 GB spinner. I put another MX100 256 GB drive in my Wife's Acer laptop. No issues or complaints with a any of these drives. Windows 8.1 on all PC's, the laptops are UEFI and the desktop PC is legacy BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I have two Crucial SSD's in my laptop, a 128 Gb for Windows and a 256 for data. M4 drives I think? I have a Crucial MX 100 256 GB in my desktop PC that I run windows from. My DATA is on 500 GB spinner. I put another MX100 256 GB drive in my Wife's Acer laptop. No issues or complaints with a any of these drives. Windows 8.1 on all PC's, the laptops are UEFI and the desktop PC is legacy BIOS.
    Have 2 Crucial MX100 512GB in my new system,one for OS and software other for games, plus a 1TB HDD for Data worked out nice, no issues, all in UEFI GPT, except HDD. Get 550 and more read and writes from Crucials.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I have two Crucial SSD's in my laptop, a 128 Gb for Windows and a 256 for data. M4 drives I think? I have a Crucial MX 100 256 GB in my desktop PC that I run windows from. My DATA is on 500 GB spinner. I put another MX100 256 GB drive in my Wife's Acer laptop. No issues or complaints with a any of these drives. Windows 8.1 on all PC's, the laptops are UEFI and the desktop PC is legacy BIOS.
    Have 2 Crucial MX100 512GB in my new system,one for OS and software other for games, plus a 1TB HDD for Data worked out nice, no issues, all in UEFI GPT, except HDD. Get 550 and more read and writes from Crucials.
    The technology is solid now, I don't anticipate any future issues. The performance difference between a spinner and an SSD is phenomenal to say the least.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    All:

    Well I knew what I was getting into!

    Good thing I tried it on a non critical Desktop!

    It is a Kingston HYPERX 480GB update Kit.
    Comes with drive, mounting plate to fit desktop drive bay & ACRNIS cloning software!
    Oh Yes I forgot, a fancy screwdriver for putting in the mounting screws!

    Installation went well set the boot drive to cd drive inserted CD 7 it booted to a menu for the same instruction on how to in stall. It stated that after the installation was complete to change the boot drive to the Kingston drive.
    Did that! Rebooted & it partially works!

    It runs all the software from Win7 from the win 8.1 charms, but just goes to the desktop on most items!

    It needs a firmware update to win 8.1!

    However when I went to Kingston's on-line service it is so complicated that it is useless.
    For instance it wants the version number that is not available on the HYPERX drive & will not send the Email without it. Even a fake one!

    It is perfectly obvious that Kinston is NOT interested in Desktop Computers.

    Now, after the fact, I see a post that cautions me about Kingston!

    Kingston IS NOT HELPFUL WITH PROBLEMS AT ALL!

    I will get this SSD working because it is FAST, but not worth the time, which I have plenty of, money & aggravation
    with, no HELP, Kingston!

    If anyone out there has any comments, suggestion, help or sympathy, please POST

    I can still use the computer if I need to. I am posting this from my ASUS Motherboard desktop running Win 8.1 & a KINGSTON HYPERX 480GB SSD.

    These kinds of problems are not new in my 85 years! At least it was not BSOD like many cases!

    That "OLD FART"

    Tully
    I have a couple of questions about some of your comments.
    What did you mean by "It runs all the software from Win7 from the win 8.1 charms, but just goes to the desktop on most items!"? Did something change after the clone?
    Also what drew you to the conclusion that "It needs a firmware update to win 8.1!"?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    talk about there firmware update and Windows 8.1 Download SH103S3_526_Win, for SH103S3 | Kingston Technology

    Board is UEFI http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H81MPLUS/

    Possible cloning did not go well, other option be clean custom install of Windows 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Cloning has 2 problems:

    a) the SSD must at least be as big as the originating partition. That restriction you do not have with imaging. There only the data has to fit.

    b) you cannot boot a clone from USB. It must be a device attached to the Sata bus - e.g. eSata or directly to the board.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20

    Kingston SSD


    All:

    Have some questions:

    I now have a Boot C: & a Boot D: drive.
    I can boot from both. Both have the same problem.

    Both appears to have the exact same data.

    I will try the update as suggested.

    I am disturbed by the fact that I can't communicate with KINGSTON!
    Why won't they support their product!

    Please keep in touch & follow my trials & tribulations!

    THANX

    Tully
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
SSD Drives
Related Threads
I have an older Dell machine that I plan to use as a backup server for my family. It has 2 SATA HDDs, 1 IDE DVD drive, 1 IDE HDD The SATA drives are recognized in BIOS. The IDE-DVD and IDE-HDD are not. Interestingly, when looking at the folder structure in Windows Explorer, all the devices...
I had an HP 240GB SSD failing with Windows 7 loaded. bought a new Samsung 250GB SSD and loaded a new Windows 8.1 OS. i have 3 other drives, 1 drive a 500GB HDD was reconized and being used now. but 2 3TB HDD that are seen in Disk manager, but listed as Foreign drives, no partitions and no...
Solved No drives detected? in Drivers & Hardware
If this is in the wrong thread, please tell me. I am not thinking right today. Yesterday, my PC booted up slow, like 3 hours on the windows logo. So, I decided to reinstall Windows 8. On the custom menu, my drives were detected. I selected my normal boot drive and I get something like: An error...
I'm currently testing Windows 8 To Go in a enterprise environment. I have some of the officially certified 64GB Kingston Workspace drives, Kingston DataTraveler Workspace 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 1 Pack - Newegg.com, and they work fine but at $129 per USB they are too expensive to purchase that...
Been googling this for the last hour, and I still can't install a game via a virtual drive; keep getting "Windows cannot access specificed device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access". Using Win8 Checked the Cdrom registry key to see if it was disabled (it's not),...
Poor Leo, He has lost two complete drives now due to corruption after booting from one drive, restarting, then using the BIOS to boot from another drive (both win8). He keeps getting "ERRORS, attempting to repair" on all of his drives. After chugging along for awhile, they usually boot but with...
cant see my internal drives? in Performance & Maintenance
Hey guys i switched to ssd and i needed ti unplug all the drive to install w8..or i was getting that we couldnt create or locate a partition...... So i unplugged the sata cables..when it was done i repluged the drive..but the pc did not detect it..odd..so i figured it was cause of the os on...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook