Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Vista not working after some time on windows 8?

  1. #11


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by ovg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Once you got Vista back up, I recommend to move the bootmgr to a seperate partition. You can follow this tutorial but you have to select the partition letter for the little partition you created. A 200MB active primary partition should be ample. Make sure you deactivate the Vista C partition first.
    how do i get vista back up? is this what i do, vista is on d and win8 is on c, i create a new partition called k. I then go to easy bcd and copy boot to k and disable boot on d only. if i boot up now should i have a choice between vista and 8 and both should work?
    You got the idea. I assume your Vista is the active partition. But first you may have to repair your Vista BCD (e.g. with 3 startup repairs) because I understand that your Vista BCD got corrupted.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 67
    VISTA+Win8 dual boot


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    One thing that's worth trying, assuming you haven't done so already. Open the BIOS at boot and make sure ACPI is enabled. The location for this setting will vary from BIOS to BIOS, but a menu with access to power options may be a good place to start. It's also worth trying a repair by booting from your Vista DVD.
    None of these worked
    I will try whs's idea
    thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 67
    VISTA+Win8 dual boot


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ovg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Once you got Vista back up, I recommend to move the bootmgr to a seperate partition. You can follow this tutorial but you have to select the partition letter for the little partition you created. A 200MB active primary partition should be ample. Make sure you deactivate the Vista C partition first.
    how do i get vista back up? is this what i do, vista is on d and win8 is on c, i create a new partition called k. I then go to easy bcd and copy boot to k and disable boot on d only. if i boot up now should i have a choice between vista and 8 and both should work?
    You got the idea. I assume your Vista is the active partition. But first you may have to repair your Vista BCD (e.g. with 3 startup repairs) because I understand that your Vista BCD got corrupted.
    But first you may have to repair your Vista BCD... How?
    I did the startup several times tried vista install dvd to repair
    when i enter vista i see the microsoft loading bar followed by a quick flash of a blue screen with white writing?
    I attached a screenshot of my partitions, I think some things are mixed up there? not sure?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    That Disk Managenet looks normal. The Win8 BCD is in the Vista bootmgr which is normal with this kind of double boot. But that does not say anything about the condition of the bootmgr or the BCDs.

    If your Vista does not boot, then the BCD is most likely corrupted. before you fix that, I would uninstall Win8. Here is how: Dual Boot - Delete a OS - Windows 7 Forums Then try again if Vista boots. If no, we need to fix the bootmgr. There are several ways to do that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    from windows 8, open an elevated command*, and type

    bcdboot d:\windows /s d:

    This should add the Vista installation to the boot menu and add the path to the system to the boot configuration database.

    It should report that the command was successful.

    restart and hopefully there will be two entries in the boot menu.

    Because Windows 8 wants to fastboot, rather than shut down, if you plan to reopen Vista, make sure that Windows 8 is shut down properly before restarting.

    *Right-click bottom left (Start) corner, select Command Prompt (Admin)
    Last edited by fafhrd; 21 Apr 2012 at 16:37. Reason: command wrong
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 67
    VISTA+Win8 dual boot


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    That Disk Managenet looks normal. The Win8 BCD is in the Vista bootmgr which is normal with this kind of double boot. But that does not say anything about the condition of the bootmgr or the BCDs.

    If your Vista does not boot, then the BCD is most likely corrupted. before you fix that, I would uninstall Win8. Here is how: Dual Boot - Delete a OS - Windows 7 Forums Then try again if Vista boots. If no, we need to fix the bootmgr. There are several ways to do that.
    uninstall win8?
    any other way?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Well, you can try to keep it. But it may get into your way. You can, of course, make an image of it before you uninstall. Make sure you copy the BCD too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 67
    VISTA+Win8 dual boot


    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    from windows 8, open an elevated command*, and type

    bcdboot d:\windows /s d:

    This should add the Vista installation to the boot menu and add the path to the system to the boot configuration database.

    It should report that the command was successful.

    restart and hopefully there will be two entries in the boot menu.

    Because Windows 8 wants to fastboot, rather than shut down, if you plan to reopen Vista, make sure that Windows 8 is shut down properly before restarting.

    *Right-click bottom left (Start) corner, select Command Prompt (Admin)
    tried this and I ended up with no os choice on startup, went straight to win8
    used easybcd to bring it back
    i then went to boot up vista and got this screen, (attachment) i tried safe mode and start normally... still get that flash of a blue screen
    ?????????????????????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2306.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Are you saying you're getting a bsod when booting Vista? If so, boot to Windows 8. Copy the files out of Vista Windows\Minidump to any other folder. Zip them then attach here. I'll have a look at it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 67
    VISTA+Win8 dual boot


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Well, you can try to keep it. But it may get into your way. You can, of course, make an image of it before you uninstall. Make sure you copy the BCD too.
    ok so what exactly should i do, i havent tried moving bootmgr to a seperate partition yet, should i still try?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Vista not working after some time on windows 8?
Related Threads
Hi everyone, Just wanted to see if anyone here could help me with an issue I'm having sharing my Windows 8 folders on my home network. Recently just setup a small home server to host my media files and some important work files. It's currently running Windows 8.1, but the PCs connected to it...
Hi everybody, As I said on the title of the post I'm getting a BSOD after some minutes woring on my PC. I'm attaching the SF Diagnostic tool from the last crash. Thanks in advance.
I was trying to sync Windows time with Internet timer Server. I was following this tutorial : https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/32803-time-synchronization-turn-off-windows-8-a.html For the first option, I couldn't couldn't find the necessary options.41612 For the second option, I've...
Bill Gates says he will spend "considerable time" working with next Microsoft CEO - Neowin
:cry: The program works fine in Win 7 which uses " windows shell common " for the voice any thoughts for Win 8 as I can't find a "windows shell common" file in Win 8. Thanks
Hi Issues: Running a family PC, with different user login´s Users is leaving the PC even sometimes after logoff not putting the PC to sleep or switching on the PC, do not log in and leaves the PC running. (training of users, no result) Task: Ensure the PC goes to sleep within reasonable...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook