Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


view your hardware information

  1. #1


    canada
    Posts : 24
    windows 8.1

    view your hardware information


    hi guys i'm quite new on being my own technician so i would like to ask some questions.
    i bought myself a second hand PC that's basically not worth anything (indeed i paid pennies 20 bucks), so i decided to reformat it and put up win' 8.1, now i'm stuck with the drivers some drivers are missing and i have no clue what i need to do. so now to my questions
    1. how do i check which hardware i have to know which drivers i need.
    2.how do i find the right drivers for the right hardware.
    sorry for these stupid questions but some how i need to learn this

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Download Speccy from Speccy - System Information - Free Download. If there is no Yellow ! in Device manager. Then you know all of the proper drivers have been installed. As for finding the correct drivers. If the computer was built from a company like Dell, HP/Compaq. You would just go to the support site for the OEM company that built the computer and download the latest drivers if Windows has not. But most likely the latest drivers have already been updated, if the computer has been allowed to connect to Windows/Microsoft update and download/install them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    canada
    Posts : 24
    windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Download Speccy from Speccy - System Information - Free Download. If there is no Yellow ! in Device manager. Then you know all of the proper drivers have been installed. As for finding the correct drivers. If the computer was built from a company like Dell, HP/Compaq. You would just go to the support site for the OEM company that built the computer and download the latest drivers if Windows has not. But most likely the latest drivers have already been updated, if the computer has been allowed to connect to Windows/Microsoft update and download/install them.
    thanks for the reply
    but what should i do
    1.if the PC is not straight out of a company like lets say the graphics card i upgraded myself what should i do?
    2.or the OEM company that build the computer build it for windows 7 and i am putting up win' 8.1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    If you ugraded the graphics card yourself, then you know the brand it is, go to that website put in your info, like OS and cards model number should be able to download the drivers, first check the cards properties for what version is there already. Like Broe23 said with Windows updates if set will find updates also.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    canada
    Posts : 24
    windows 8.1


    so basically what i'm being told is that i should go to the manufacturers site and type in my model and download (if there is) compatible drivers? lets say i have in my pc now a AMD Radeon HD 7610M graphics card i should go to AMD site and search for this model?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by avismile10 View Post
    so basically what i'm being told is that i should go to the manufacturers site and type in my model and download (if there is) compatible drivers? lets say i have in my pc now a AMD Radeon HD 7610M graphics card i should go to AMD site and search for this model?
    Again, if Windows/Microsoft updates is set to update hardware along with software. You do not need to go off and search for drivers. Unless the OS does not load them. Then you would know by going into Device Manager and look for Yellow !.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    canada
    Posts : 24
    windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by avismile10 View Post
    so basically what i'm being told is that i should go to the manufacturers site and type in my model and download (if there is) compatible drivers? lets say i have in my pc now a AMD Radeon HD 7610M graphics card i should go to AMD site and search for this model?
    Again, if Windows/Microsoft updates is set to update hardware along with software. You do not need to go off and search for drivers. Unless the OS does not load them. Then you would know by going into Device Manager and look for Yellow !.
    thanks
    so how do i set that windows update should update harware along with software? and what should i do if in device manager there is yellow warnings? (even after i installed all updates)?
    (so what i understand here is that windows supply the drivers through windows update? correct me please if i'm wrong)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Of course this is all dependent on whether this legacy (old!) hardware is even supported by W8.x. It may not be, or W7 either for that matter.

    Sadly, this is now after-the-fact, but for future reference, ALWAYS when considering updating legacy hardware, BEFORE you reformat you should do your homework and research the hardware to MAKE SURE W8 drivers were available, and your hardware is compatible with the modern OS. Legacy support is not a priority in W8, nor should it be. And it is common for makers of legacy hardware to NOT develop drivers for the most current operating system - they would rather you buy new hardware was made from the start to support the current OS.

    Potential upgraders of legacy hardware should at least run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor or the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to get an idea where they stand, before they end up with a big paperweight.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Well sometimes with Windows update it does not give you the latest driver software update, it did this with my Graphics card when i installed Windows 8.1. So chances might not get latest one. you can just go to there site, like AMD and check. For a video card i would other stuff it matters what it is.

    True if it is working in Device manager you can leave it alone for now, again mattering to what you want updated. Usually Video card, sound cards without danger.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

view your hardware information
Related Threads
How to View Detailed Information About All User Accounts on a Windows PC This tutorial will show you how to quickly view detailed information about all user accounts on your Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 PC. Here's How: 1. Open a command prompt.
Dear all - ok I am a forum virgin so go easy on me. We have a 10 pc'c 6 of which run XP Pro two of which run Win7 and two run Win 8.1. I have set us all up as a workgroup with homegroup disabled on the two win8 pc's. I have set profiles on the win7 and win8 all to have shared file on, discover...
Hi Everybody, If anybody could give me some pointers on my problem I would really appreciate it :) I have Windows 8.1 on my HP Pavilion Laptop. I have this problem where after starting my PC, logging in and being dropped into the Panel view, I wait for about 10 seconds... and then the PC...
How to See Detailed Information about your Microsoft Account Recent Activity The “Recent activity” page shows info about the activity in your Microsoft account, within the last 30 days. This includes any time that you signed in to your account, whether you used a web browser, your phone, an...
Just wondering if Win 8.1 somehow made available a "all programs" list view (as per win 7 start) versus the highly undesirable Metro all programs view ? Can't find any evidence of it ? Is there a way to boot into desktop view directly (as opposed to metro view) yet ? Or am I going to have to buy...
How to View System Information about your PC in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will help show you how to view details about the system information of your Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, or Windows 8.1 RT PC. View "About Windows" in Windows 8 and 8.1 NOTE: This option will only...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook