Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


HDD partitioning without losing data

  1. #1


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1 Pro - U1

    HDD partitioning without losing data


    Hi!

    I hope it's the right section of the forum.

    I have a notebook with 1 HDD, on that I have a partition for Windows (C), 1 for my data (D) and the System Reserved. All 3 of them are Simple, Primary and NTFS.
    I attach a screenshot of the current setup, I hope you don't mind the language.

    I want to add a SSD, but keep the HDD too.
    I will install Windows on the new SSD, then I want to remove the partitions of the old Windows and the Reserved from the HDD.

    After that is it possible, is it safe to expand/resize my data partition without losing my data or it would be the best if I make a backup and format the whole HDD?

    Thanks in advance!

    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Use a program that allows you to move the partition to the new drive. EaseUS ToDo Workstation allows you to move info between different sized hard drives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1 Pro - U1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Use a program that allows you to move the partition to the new drive. EaseUS ToDo Workstation allows you to move info between different sized hard drives.
    Thanks, but I want to clean up my system, so I will install a clean Windows.

    My main question is about the expanding.
    After the new installation is done I will delete the old Windows and reserved partitions, so the HDD will have ~100GB unallocated space and ~365GB of the data partition.

    So is it possible to safely expand the data partition to have the unallocated space too, so it would use the full HDD?

    Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    You can do it however you want. There is no set rules how to set partitions. It is up to every person, how they decide to partition a hard drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1 Pro - U1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    You can do it however you want. There is no set rules how to set partitions. It is up to every person, how they decide to partition a hard drive.
    Thanks, but you still don't get it.
    I want to know, if the expanding is possible without data loss, when the unallocated space is in front of the partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    This procedure will move the partition without losing your data.

    Download: EaseUS Partition Master - Best partition manager software for Windows disk management. . Install the software, run it then follow the steps 1 - 4 on the screen shot to move partition. After the steps, the program will reboot and perform the operation. After the partition is moved, open disk management, right click on the partition then select extend partition.

    Click image for larger version

    EDIT: Look at your screen shot, you need to delete the recovery partition & C: Partition bebore you can move D: partition to the beginning. Also, You might have to use diskpart to delete the recovery partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1 Pro - U1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    This procedure will move the partition without losing your data.

    Download: EaseUS Partition Master - Best partition manager software for Windows disk management. . Install the software, run it then follow the steps 1 - 4 on the screen shot to move partition. After the steps, the program will reboot and perform the operation. After the partition is moved, open disk management, right click on the partition then select extend partition.

    Click image for larger version

    EDIT: Look at your screen shot, you need to delete the recovery partition & C: Partition bebore you can move D: partition to the beginning. Also, You might have to use diskpart to delete the recovery partition.
    Thank you, I hope this will work!
    As I see the free version is enough for me. And I hope my data will be safe!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

HDD partitioning without losing data
Related Threads
How to Use Data Sense App to Manage your Data Usage on Windows Phone 8.1 As unlimited mobile data plans become less common, it's more important than ever to understand how much cellular data your phone is using. Even if you have “unlimited” data, you might have access to the highest speed...
Windows 8 partitioning in General Support
In my Windows8 laptop I hava a C-drive of 421gb in which 358gb is free.As I tried to partition another disk of 300gb It was not allowing me that in shrink volume.It is allowing only 25gb to divide .What to do??? 3952739526
I have a dual-boot configuration - XP + W8Pro32-bt. I used EaseUS partition manager to take some of the free space from the XP partition and add it to the W8 partition (2 operations). Upon reboot, W8 has no lock screen picture, no user picture and when I log into my user account the screen is just...
Partitioning hekp needed. in Drivers & Hardware
Hi! I have just reinstalled windows to factory conditions with the intention of partitioning my hard drive. Whilst I am having a little success, for some reason I am only able to partition the drive to have it's size. Here is a screen print. Any help would be appreciated.29959
Solved Questions about partitioning HHD in Installation & Setup
Just got a new computer.. has a single 2TB HHD. They way its set up now is there are two partitions “C:” Windows @ 149 GB & “D:” Data 1.65 TB My question
Windows 8 Partitioning in Installation & Setup
Hi,I'm a newbie in Windows 8, linux, Partition....I would like to use my new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed to the following:- Create a Dual Boot Windows 8 / Ubuntu- Create on my C drive (unique drive on my laptop): *a partition for the system *one for Windows 8 *one for Data and *last one...
partitioning disk in General Support
My laptop (Lenovo) came with 1TGB disk. I wanted to partition in 2 o 3 pieces, the OS one around 150 GB. I used the utilities in the system, and it only let me to partition the c: to a size of 500 GB. Is it feasible to re-partition again, to 150 GB (se freeing 350), without losing data? With which...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook