Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How or why could a SSD make the motherboard/CPU hotter?

  1. #1


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1

    How or why could a SSD make the motherboard/CPU hotter?


    I have an envy 17 jo29nr... I've had an overheating problem and to make a long story shorter, I re-installed windows 8 and then 8.1 fresh on a HDD (I have to do both to keep my legit product key as you can't install 8.1 with a 8 key, which is lame). The temps went to normal, spiking at 70c. To determine it wasn't my fault, I re-installed windows on the SSD and here I am, haven't updated to 8.1 yet, and it's idling around 70c. That's a lot more than 40-45 that it runs on the HDD. SSD's run far cooler and I have no clue how or why this is possible. Google hasn't been kind to providing me with more insight. If anyone has 2 cents to throw my way, I'd appreciate it. I didn't think my SSD was that fast, but going back to the HDD, it's like night and day and I really would rather keep the SSD.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Defective SSD maybe? Hard to say. Oh and by the way, you can install 8.1 with a generic key and then activate with your 8.0 key.
    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I don't think it's SSD's fault, they run much cooler than HDDs and use way less energy. It probably has to do more with system, not having all the drivers and/or energy saving settings, memory leaks, runaway processes etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    There are things that run in the background after a clean install like indexing and windows update that can keep the CPU running more than you would expect. That will raise temps some.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    There are things that run in the background after a clean install like indexing and windows update that can keep the CPU running more than you would expect. That will raise temps some.

    I don't understand how a fresh install of windows 8.1 with all the updates and all drivers from manufacturer installed on a Kingston Hyper X 3K 120GB hard drive that has 85GB of free space that's being powered by a Core i7-4702mq could possibly be demanding enough to cause the motherboard and CPU to idle at just under and at 70 c. But then on a 5400 rpm HDD, runs around 45.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    There are things that run in the background after a clean install like indexing and windows update that can keep the CPU running more than you would expect. That will raise temps some.

    I don't understand how a fresh install of windows 8.1 with all the updates and all drivers from manufacturer installed on a Kingston Hyper X 3K 120GB hard drive that has 85GB of free space that's being powered by a Core i7-4702mq could possibly be demanding enough to cause the motherboard and CPU to idle at just under and at 70 c. But then on a 5400 rpm HDD, runs around 45.
    There were few complaints about these Hyperx drives, it could be a bad drive, get in touch with the Retailer or Kingston, I believe that the drive failure is the reason for high temps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1


    Thanks, I'll do that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    I have an envy 17 jo29nr... (I have to do both to keep my legit product key as you can't install 8.1 with a 8 key, which is lame)
    As I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 PRO using an ISO upgrade file that I had bought with the $40 deal. Windows rejected the key that came with the 8.1 upgrade and I gave the Key from my retail Windows 8 Pro a try and it worked. :-)

    As for your CPU heat problem, it must be doing something in the background. Check your task manager for programs that have high cpu usage.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    I'd have to agree that its unlikely the SSD drive causing temp issues. There are no mechanical parts in play here and they run much cooler that traditional mechanical hard drives. And even a cheaply made one would get that warm to cause the issues the OP is experiencing.

    I don't see the SSD drive as a probable cause of the 25-30 degree high temp spikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    The temps went to normal, spiking at 70c. To determine it wasn't my fault, I re-installed windows on the SSD and here I am, haven't updated to 8.1 yet, and it's idling around 70c. That's a lot more than 40-45 that it runs on the HDD. SSD's run far cooler and I have no clue how or why this is possible. Google hasn't been kind to providing me with more insight. If anyone has 2 cents to throw my way, I'd appreciate it. I didn't think my SSD was that fast, but going back to the HDD, it's like night and day and I really would rather keep the SSD.
    That said, it is possible the SSD drive is bad or failing, but even in that, I don't see it running that. 25-30 is a lot! That nearly sounds like the CPU fan is failing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    I didn't think my SSD was that fast, but going back to the HDD, it's like night and day and I really would rather keep the SSD.
    Also where are you getting your temp reading from? What program are you using? Can you post us a screen shot of those temps?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    I'm using 120GB Kingston right now and it's running at ambient temperature while all HDDs are around 40c. Temperature can be read from SMART in it's FW too. Hard Disk Sentinel does a good job of reading it. CPUiD HW Monitor can keep tabs on it too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How or why could a SSD make the motherboard/CPU hotter?
Related Threads
I installed some software and didn't make it, 'admin', so now every time I start it, it asks for permission to allow it to modify W8.1 My question; Is there a way to change it now, after it's already installed?
Hey, I'm having to get a replacement motherboard as i have a fault on this one. It will be a like for like replacement (exactly the same) Will i have to reinstall Windows 8.1, or can i just plop it in and it will boot/load the drivers that are needed? I wanted to ask, as people often changed...
Hey all, Im not very good when it comes to hardware stuff, and im looking to replace my current graphic card as Im sure its broken which is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, My motherboard is a MSI P67A-C45 and the graphic card im looking to get is either a GTX 760 or a GTX 770, links below. How can...
Solved Windows 8 runs hotter than 7. Why? in Performance & Maintenance
I've done considerable research on this and still can't find the exact Windows 8 process that causes this. PROBLEM: There is a service host process that keeps the CPU busy (12%), and consequently causes my computer to run warmer than it does under Windows 7. About 15 degrees Celsius warmer. If I...
Windows 8 running hotter than 7? in Performance & Maintenance
Hello! I just installed and am running Windows 8 on a recently purchased Sager NP8690. While running Windows 7, CPU idle temps were typically 45-50c and while rendering video or in game it'd peak at 75c. After installing 8, in a clean install, I'm seeing temps idling at 55-60c, and peaking at 95c...
Previously when I was using Windows 7, the system restore points were created automatically whenever I installed a new SW or made other similar system change. But it seems not the case in Win 8 any more. I am a SW developer. Although I normally test our SW on virtual machines, but some other...
So this is my situation. I have a computer that came installed with Windows 8. I also happen to have an unused copy of Windows 8 Pro System Builder. I thought to myself instead of paying to upgrade the other computer to Windows 8 Pro, why not just use it the Windows 8 Pro System Builder disk and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook