Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How or why could a SSD make the motherboard/CPU hotter?

  1. #11


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I'm using 120GB Kingston right now and it's running at ambient temperature while all HDDs are around 40c. Temperature can be read from SMART in it's FW too. Hard Disk Sentinel does a good job of reading it. CPUiD HW Monitor can keep tabs on it too.
    That's great. My SSD is running at 33 c. My question wasn't about the temp of the drive.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I'm using 120GB Kingston right now and it's running at ambient temperature while all HDDs are around 40c. Temperature can be read from SMART in it's FW too. Hard Disk Sentinel does a good job of reading it. CPUiD HW Monitor can keep tabs on it too.
    That's great. My SSD is running at 33 c. My question wasn't about the temp of the drive.
    So that leaves what ? What most of us are saying, it's system that's overworking, it has nothing to do with that drive being an SSD. SSDs don't even do what systems do with HDDs, no defraging etc. It's not putting any strain on the system so that means it's not the part "guilty" for overheating.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I'm using 120GB Kingston right now and it's running at ambient temperature while all HDDs are around 40c. Temperature can be read from SMART in it's FW too. Hard Disk Sentinel does a good job of reading it. CPUiD HW Monitor can keep tabs on it too.
    That's great. My SSD is running at 33 c. My question wasn't about the temp of the drive.
    So that leaves what ? What most of us are saying, it's system that's overworking, it has nothing to do with that drive being an SSD. SSDs don't even do what systems do with HDDs, no defraging etc. It's not putting any strain on the system so that means it's not the part "guilty" for overheating.

    If it's not the SSD, then how come when I do the same exact install on a HDD, the issue doesn't occur? And what's overworking? There's nothing installed besides a fresh copy of windows 8.1, manufacturer drivers and updates. The CPU isn't being used up, the memory isn't being used up. What's overworking? I don't think that's the issue. There's barely anything going on in the task manager. The temps only run hot on the SSD (the motherboard and CPU temps, not the SSD itself) , not any HDD with the same install, same drivers, same updates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    You evidently decided to forgo my questions so....

    Peace
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    You evidently decided to forgo my questions so....

    Peace

    You didn't ask any. You're notion is absurd. Thanks for responding, but answers that have nothing to do with my question aren't helpful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    You evidently decided to forgo my questions so....

    Peace

    You didn't ask any. You're notion is absurd. Thanks for responding, but answers that have nothing to do with my question aren't helpful.
    Yes he did, last sentence in this post, How or why could a SSD make the motherboard/CPU hotter?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    I suspect the aluminium case of the SSD and it's conductivity but don't take my word as I have failed my A/L Physics first time around
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Cincinnati
    Posts : 54
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    I suspect the aluminium case of the SSD and it's conductivity but don't take my word as I have failed my A/L Physics first time around
    I did have a sata cable that was connecting it go bad and I replaced it with another one I had.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    I suspect the aluminium case of the SSD and it's conductivity but don't take my word as I have failed my A/L Physics first time around
    I did have a sata cable that was connecting it go bad and I replaced it with another one I had.
    I think your answer is this, A normally working SSD would not cause your CPU to over heat. Many of us here and elsewhere have SSD and they don't cause our CPU to over heat.

    It has already been brought up that there are issues with the particular SSD that you have.

    Most likely you have a defective SSD. Have you visited the manufactures support website?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
    I have an envy 17 jo29nr... I've had an overheating problem and to make a long story shorter, I re-installed windows 8 and then 8.1 fresh on a HDD (I have to do both to keep my legit product key as you can't install 8.1 with a 8 key, which is lame). The temps went to normal, spiking at 70c. To determine it wasn't my fault, I re-installed windows on the SSD and here I am, haven't updated to 8.1 yet, and it's idling around 70c. That's a lot more than 40-45 that it runs on the HDD. SSD's run far cooler and I have no clue how or why this is possible. Google hasn't been kind to providing me with more insight. If anyone has 2 cents to throw my way, I'd appreciate it. I didn't think my SSD was that fast, but going back to the HDD, it's like night and day and I really would rather keep the SSD.
    My 2 cents, more than 1 year later, but maybe for someone else:

    - by default Windows sets the automatic defragmentation 'On'. If the SSD is not recognized by Windows (10, 8.1, for 7 and older still an issue even if recognized), Windows wants to defragment it, but the SSD MUST be "fragmented" (by design, it runs algorithms implemented in hardware that make sure the data is evenly spread across it's cells). This leads to a never ending fight (the SSD against Windows) that eventually ends with the break of your hardware. Also there are plenty of tutorials that list all the things one should do to optimize the SSD lifetime (e.g: turn off indexing, Search Service, etc), but "defragmenting" alone affects also the CPU usage not only the SSD.
    - the HDD bottlenecks the CPU in such a degree that usually the CPU cannot overpass 10% usage for normal applications. The SSD does not.
    - because a lot of users complained about the "noise" (?? really ??) of the coolers, most recent versions of BIOS-es start the cooler at dangerously higher temperatures than they used to some years ago. That's because they do not imagine someone with a laptop actually wanting to use it on "top of the lap". They are just stupidly thinking: "hey, the CPU junction temp can reach 100C no problem, so why not start the cooler at 80C ?... And the CPU lifetime is longer than of any other component... This will be quiet..." Hell ya, cemetery quiet!
    - Windows Update uses the "idle" mode to perform it's updates. (they can last as long as 2 weeks, if not done all at once on demand)
    - a wrong version of a piece of software installed successfully that is supposed to control the hardware (temperature, fan speed, voltage).
    Can't think of something else right now.
    Last edited by Gogu Bordei; 25 Oct 2015 at 05:36.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How or why could a SSD make the motherboard/CPU hotter?
Related Threads
I installed some software and didn't make it, 'admin', so now every time I start it, it asks for permission to allow it to modify W8.1 My question; Is there a way to change it now, after it's already installed?
Hey, I'm having to get a replacement motherboard as i have a fault on this one. It will be a like for like replacement (exactly the same) Will i have to reinstall Windows 8.1, or can i just plop it in and it will boot/load the drivers that are needed? I wanted to ask, as people often changed...
Hey all, Im not very good when it comes to hardware stuff, and im looking to replace my current graphic card as Im sure its broken which is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, My motherboard is a MSI P67A-C45 and the graphic card im looking to get is either a GTX 760 or a GTX 770, links below. How can...
Solved Windows 8 runs hotter than 7. Why? in Performance & Maintenance
I've done considerable research on this and still can't find the exact Windows 8 process that causes this. PROBLEM: There is a service host process that keeps the CPU busy (12%), and consequently causes my computer to run warmer than it does under Windows 7. About 15 degrees Celsius warmer. If I...
Windows 8 running hotter than 7? in Performance & Maintenance
Hello! I just installed and am running Windows 8 on a recently purchased Sager NP8690. While running Windows 7, CPU idle temps were typically 45-50c and while rendering video or in game it'd peak at 75c. After installing 8, in a clean install, I'm seeing temps idling at 55-60c, and peaking at 95c...
Previously when I was using Windows 7, the system restore points were created automatically whenever I installed a new SW or made other similar system change. But it seems not the case in Win 8 any more. I am a SW developer. Although I normally test our SW on virtual machines, but some other...
So this is my situation. I have a computer that came installed with Windows 8. I also happen to have an unused copy of Windows 8 Pro System Builder. I thought to myself instead of paying to upgrade the other computer to Windows 8 Pro, why not just use it the Windows 8 Pro System Builder disk and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook