Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Wireless receivers and underpowered USB ports?

  1. #11


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    One of mine didn't have a Power TAB, I'm not sure why though? It had an (xHCI) after it. It might be my USB 3.0 ports. It may be due to the manufacturer/drivers. One of my other two showed 500mA available and 0mA required. The other one showed 500mA available and 98mA required. < this is my Unifying receiver. Now I'm confused, I have 3 USB Root Hubs listed but I only have 2 USB 2 ports and 2 USB 3 ports?
    Only ones that have something connected to the ports should show "Required" value. As far as number of ports are concerned, you may have only so many physical USB connectors but control chip may have provision for more. Some devices could also be connected internally to USB ports, like internal camera for instance. Similar thing is with PCI/PCI express internal connections, there are internal buses and other ones that you can actually plug something in. Internal PCI/ex. buses connect SB and SATA conntrollers.
    Yeah, I know. They do that with the Touch Pad and maybe the keyboard or wireless card on some laptops. I miss read one of my entries and it confused me. I thought one said 0ma required and the other 98ma. One actually says USB composite device 500ma required, 4 ports available 0ma required. I'd say that one feeds whatever internally. It could also have something to do with the quick charge function this laptop is supposed to have via USB. I don't have the utility installed for that as I never use it. The other USB hub showing USB composite device 98ma required 4 ports available, I know is the unifying receiver as its gone when I unplug it. The 4 ports available for each USB Hub is still confusing though. They usually go in groups of two. if I unplug my unifying receiver it will say 5 ports available. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as everything works so I'll just chock it up to one of those things and move on.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by neale1991 View Post
    Tried the devices one by one, no difference. Also checked the 4 Root Hubs in Device Manager (two of them didn't have a power tab, am I looking at the wrong bit). They say 500mA available and 0mA required. I'll take a look inside the case but i'm fairly certain everything's connected up right, to my limited knowledge anyway.

    Apologies if I am being stupid and looking in the wrong places, i'm VERY new to this, however you're both already more help than anywhere else I've tried so thank you.
    I can assure you you are not "being stupid" for not knowing something but asking. "Stupid" would be somebody not knowing but thinking he does.
    There's no power connection, except for main 24 pin that supplies power for 5v devices on the MB. Nothing you can make mistake on and computer to start at all. Not on that MB anyway. Some MBs have a an extra connector on the MB, mainly like the ones for HDD (4 pin Molex) but not any modern ones and certainly not that one. I'm really stumped with this one without some hands on measurements.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quit a few motherboards will have a 4 or even 8 pin PWR2 AUX power connector. Weird things can happen if it's there and not connected to the power supply. That motherboard has a 4 pin AUX power connector on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quit a few motherboards will have a 4 or even 8 pin PWR2 AUX power connector. Weird things can happen if it's there and not connected to the power supply. That motherboard has a 4 pin AUX power connector on it.
    If it's only 4 pin on the MB than 4 pin from power supply goes in it, without it it won't even start. If it's 8 pin on MB than in most cases 4 pin is also enough but 8 pin desirable. All pins are 12v in pairs of pus and minus. They are there for extra feed to VRM only.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quit a few motherboards will have a 4 or even 8 pin PWR2 AUX power connector. Weird things can happen if it's there and not connected to the power supply. That motherboard has a 4 pin AUX power connector on it.
    If it's only 4 pin on the MB than 4 pin from power supply goes in it, without it it won't even start. If it's 8 pin on MB than in most cases 4 pin is also enough but 8 pin desirable. All pins are 12v in pairs of pus and minus. They are there for extra feed to VRM only.
    Ah, yes its only 12V so it isn't an issue in this case. USB ports use 5V only.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quit a few motherboards will have a 4 or even 8 pin PWR2 AUX power connector. Weird things can happen if it's there and not connected to the power supply. That motherboard has a 4 pin AUX power connector on it.
    If it's only 4 pin on the MB than 4 pin from power supply goes in it, without it it won't even start. If it's 8 pin on MB than in most cases 4 pin is also enough but 8 pin desirable. All pins are 12v in pairs of pus and minus. They are there for extra feed to VRM only.
    Ah, yes its only 12V so it isn't an issue in this case. USB ports use 5V only.
    It has something to do with power required by VRM and thru it with processor. I have an 8 pin on MB but while I had a "Regor" 2 core Athlon 270 processor 61 Watt with OC to 4.1 GHz, 4 pin was enough but when I dropped in this Phenom II x 4 965BE and OCed it to 4.2 GHz it was BSODing like crazy until I connected other 4 pins because it is drawing all 125 Watts standard and over 140 Watts when OCed like this. Nothing else was impacted by this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless receivers and underpowered USB ports?
Related Threads
USB Ports in Drivers & Hardware
I have 2 usb ports on the front of my PC. As of late when i put a stick in i get an error message saying it needs to scan. Does it with several different sticks and is intermittent. No problems when i plug a camera etc in. MB is just 12 mths old. It is not an expensive case, ie it was a cheap one....
Please can you assist with my wireless connection issue. I have just recently purchased the RTL8192CE wireless Lan 802.11 PCI-E NIC and installed it in my shuttle XPC. I am using Windows 8.1 64bit OS. The LAN card is picking up my wireless router fine, but when I enter my router password an...
Solved Usb 3.0 ports in Drivers & Hardware
how to know if i have usb 3.0 data cables ? i mean i have usb3.0 feature on my notebook pc & usb3.0 is double faster than usb 2.0. but i'm wondering which data cables i have 3.0 or 2.0,because they don't transfer data at high speed,plz answer !
Solved Problem with usb ports/audio ports in Drivers & Hardware
I have a problem with my front usb ports/audio ports, a couple days ago I replaced my radiator and unplugged the cord for the front usb ports but it went back in fine and ever since then I would have my headphones plugged in but whenever I took out something from the usb port the headphone/audio...
Hey all so I have forwarded some ports on my router with Airport Utility (NAT port forwarding), but using cmd netstat -n the ports I forwarded aren't listed and using online port checkers confirms they are closed. I added exceptions to my firewall (even though it is off), and windows defender is...
usb ports reset in Drivers & Hardware
I have a strange issue that started appearing when I installed win 8, all my USB ports seem to reset with no apparent reason on different time periods, from a few minutes to hours, its like I unplugged the thing that's in the usb, and put it back in, its really annoying since my wirelles is via usb...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook