Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Id 257 Win32k error when i plug a wacom tablet ,help

  1. #1


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64

    Id 257 Win32k error when i plug a wacom tablet ,help


    Hi

    windows 8.1 pro 64 ,with the lastest update

    i noticed that when i plug a wacom tablet intuos pen
    i got 4 errors , sometime 2

    Source : Win32k
    Event ID : 257
    Event Description : A pointing device reported an angular range physical invalid

    i got these errors if the tablet is plugged , in the boot
    i got these erros if i unplug and plug it again
    tried several usb port , no luck
    this happen only with w8.1 , w7 doesn't have such problems
    tried several drivers , no luck
    is there a fix ?

    thanks

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 100
    Windows 8.1, 10, various Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by drugo View Post
    Hi

    windows 8.1 pro 64 ,with the lastest update

    i noticed that when i plug a wacom tablet intuos pen
    i got 4 errors , sometime 2

    Source : Win32k
    Event ID : 257
    Event Description : A pointing device reported an angular range physical invalid
    To bring this thread back to the top - yes, I get these errors as well. Not sure when they started. I tried installing the "latest" Wacom drivers that are designated for my legacy "Bamboo Fun" and that had zero effect on the errors.

    Looking at the Device Manager output there are a boatload of "HID-compliant" devices:

    Click image for larger version

    and selecting, say, digitizer there and looking at its Details says it's a Microsoft Windows device, not a Wacom device:

    Click image for larger version

    so that brings up a question: Are the built-in "HID-compliant devices" drivers interfering with the Wacom device(s) drivers?

    I admit I haven't tried disconnecting the tablet and rebooting to see if the Microsoft devices go away, but SOMETHING unusual is causing these irritating errors (*) and it would be satisfying to track whatever it is down and fix it.

    So...in addition to the OP has anyone figured out what causes these? Google Search is full of mentions of it, BTW, but none that I've found has pointed fingers at a resolution (though some have CLAIMED to be resolved ("...fixed under Windows 8.1 Pro..."), they're wrong).

    This error, BTW, occurs across tablet brands so it doesn't appear to be Wacom-specific.

    =====

    (*) The error events are irritating because we all don't want "errors" showing up, but these events themselves appear to be the ONLY side-effect of this - the tablet and its buttons, etc, works fine.
    Last edited by brokensoftware; 16 Aug 2015 at 07:52.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by brokensoftware View Post
    (*) The error events are irritating because we all don't want "errors" showing up, but these events themselves appear to be the ONLY side-effect of this - the tablet and its buttons, etc, works fine.
    hi
    for what is worth after googling and testing , the only fix for me it was update to windows 10 and the error now is gone
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by brokensoftware View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drugo View Post
    Hi

    windows 8.1 pro 64 ,with the lastest update

    i noticed that when i plug a wacom tablet intuos pen
    i got 4 errors , sometime 2

    Source : Win32k
    Event ID : 257
    Event Description : A pointing device reported an angular range physical invalid
    To bring this thread back to the top - yes, I get these errors as well. Not sure when they started. I tried installing the "latest" Wacom drivers that are designated for my legacy "Bamboo Fun" and that had zero effect on the errors.

    Looking at the Device Manager output there are a boatload of "HID-compliant" devices:



    and selecting, say, digitizer there and looking at its Details says it's a Microsoft Windows device, not a Wacom device:



    so that brings up a question: Are the built-in "HID-compliant devices" drivers interfering with the Wacom device(s) drivers?

    I admit I haven't tried disconnecting the tablet and rebooting to see if the Microsoft devices go away, but SOMETHING unusual is causing these irritating errors (*) and it would be satisfying to track whatever it is down and fix it.

    So...in addition to the OP has anyone figured out what causes these? Google Search is full of mentions of it, BTW, but none that I've found has pointed fingers at a resolution (though some have CLAIMED to be resolved ("...fixed under Windows 8.1 Pro..."), they're wrong).

    This error, BTW, occurs across tablet brands so it doesn't appear to be Wacom-specific.

    =====

    (*) The error events are irritating because we all don't want "errors" showing up, but these events themselves appear to be the ONLY side-effect of this - the tablet and its buttons, etc, works fine.
    hi
    have you find a fix?
    thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 100
    Windows 8.1, 10, various Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by drugo View Post
    hi
    have you find a fix?
    thanks
    No, I looked around the 'Net a little more, then decided it simply wasn't worth the effort to track down a fix - the errors showed up due to some broken Windows update, perhaps they'll disappear whenever some programmer working on something else says "Oh, this guy didn't initialize this variable before using it!?" and fixes it...

    ====

    This attitude, BTW, was because of Windows =10= and the hundreds of errors that show up in its logs - if "Windows" can survive with hundreds of ERROR-level errors, then who am I to be concerned with only 4 about bad pointer devices?...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by brokensoftware View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drugo View Post
    hi
    have you find a fix?
    thanks
    No, I looked around the 'Net a little more, then decided it simply wasn't worth the effort to track down a fix - the errors showed up due to some broken Windows update, perhaps they'll disappear whenever some programmer working on something else says "Oh, this guy didn't initialize this variable before using it!?" and fixes it...

    ====

    This attitude, BTW, was because of Windows =10= and the hundreds of errors that show up in its logs - if "Windows" can survive with hundreds of ERROR-level errors, then who am I to be concerned with only 4 about bad pointer devices?...
    hi
    thanks
    i haven't any errors with w10 and wacom tablet
    but i tried a fresh/clean (from scratch) w8.1 installtion and the error is preset
    i guess there is something in w8 and w8.1 ..
    thanks again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Id 257 Win32k error when i plug a wacom tablet ,help
Related Threads
Hi, I currently use a Samsung Note 10.1 to take many class notes. It works well, but I think I would like to upgrade to a comparable tablet with Windows. I've been having trouble finding a decent one that has the same or better pressure sensitivity and reasonable weight. So far I have tried...
A month ago Wacom released a new driver for their Bamboo brand. You can download the drivers from the Wacom website ==> Wacom Europe GmbH - Customer Care - Driver Greetz, Rover
Wacom Bamboo pen tablet help. in Drivers & Hardware
Hey all! I got a Wacom Bamboo Capture for Christmas and I bought Windows 8 about a week later. The touch keyboard option always comes up when I plug my tablet in and I thought it'd be fun to play with it. The normal keyboard works fine, but the handwriting won't work. It shows as I'm writing, but...
Solved New drivers for the Wacom tablets in Drivers & Hardware
Hardware Drivers | Wacom There are new drivers available for the Wacom tablets. :thumbsup: Version Number 5.32-1 The changes are: Notes:
Wacom Digitizer not identified in Drivers & Hardware
I have a Samsung slate 7 and have just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8. The digitizer pen while working in some aspects (ie. touch) it doesn't come up as an option to the virtual keyboard and doesn't open in MS Word 2010.
Wacom Bamboo tablet in Drivers & Hardware
I was thinking of getting a Wacom Bamboo tablet for my wife for her presentation work, but I was curious to know if the tablet would be supported by Windows 8 as a touch device? I try searching but can't find detail to know if it's supported. Paul
Wacom Intuos 5 in Drivers & Hardware
I've abandoned the Wacom forums as they simply have nothing to offer to the many 100's of people suffering this problem The latest (win 8) driver will not load for the wacom Intuos 5 tablet. I've cleaned every possible trace of prior installations / old drivers etc, yet having received the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook