Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Cannot delete phantom files after the disk error repairs

  1. #1


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Mac OS X Mavericks (Hackintosh), Ubuntu 14.04

    Cannot delete phantom files after the disk error repairs


    Alright, so I was in another OS, and decided to copy over some files. The problem is when I got into Windows it gave me disk errors. So I allowed Windows to repair them automatically, and everything was dandy. But the files that were transferred are nowhere to be seen on both Operating Systems, but the disk space is still being taken up (About 100GB) so how on earth do I get rid of this phantom space?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Look for a folder named "found.000", if necessary enable "hidden files and folders".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Mac OS X Mavericks (Hackintosh), Ubuntu 14.04


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Look for a folder named "found.000", if necessary enable "hidden files and folders".
    Alright, is it okay just to delete the found.000 file? (I know that it's in the C: disk, but even with hidden files on, I seem to see it.)
    EDIT: Alright, it is the found.000 file (158 whopping GB) in fact it goes from found.000-found.009 could I safely remove them and how?

    Ima just make a new post on that.
    Last edited by Clayf700; 10 May 2014 at 12:59.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    There nothing salvageable the, kill the sucker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Mac OS X Mavericks (Hackintosh), Ubuntu 14.04


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    There nothing salvageable the, kill the sucker.
    This is why it's a good thing to back up, people. The real files are fine, but how on earth do I kill found.000? (oh, and is it safe?)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Clayf700 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    There nothing salvageable the, kill the sucker.
    This is why it's a good thing to back up, people. The real files are fine, but how on earth do I kill found.000? (oh, and is it safe?)
    Kill = Delete Can do it from Disk Cleaner too. just write that in Search on Charms bar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Mac OS X Mavericks (Hackintosh), Ubuntu 14.04


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Kill = Delete Can do it from Disk Cleaner too. just write that in Search on Charms bar.
    I'm not seeing it, you mean disk cleanup?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Clayf700 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Kill = Delete Can do it from Disk Cleaner too. just write that in Search on Charms bar.
    I'm not seeing it, you mean disk cleanup?
    In the Charms bar write just disk (and maybe a space after it), under it should be option "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files" there you can chose what to clean.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Mac OS X Mavericks (Hackintosh), Ubuntu 14.04


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    In the Charms bar write just disk (and maybe a space after it), under it should be option "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files" there you can chose what to clean.
    Okay, so I went through the cleanup with all options checked and the disk space is still there, but now the found.000 - found.009 (003 is missing) are visible, should I just send them to the recycle bin and empty it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by Clayf700 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    In the Charms bar write just disk (and maybe a space after it), under it should be option "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files" there you can chose what to clean.
    Okay, so I went through the cleanup with all options checked and the disk space is still there, but now the found.000 - found.009 (003 is missing) are visible, should I just send them to the recycle bin and empty it?
    Yes, you can also hold Space while clicking on Delete so it does not go to the bin at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Cannot delete phantom files after the disk error repairs
Related Threads
delete files permanently in General Support
I have a windows 8 running laptop. I want to send my laptop to the service center as it got some technical issues.i have formatted my hard disk and erased everything as i want to make sure that the service center guys do not recover any of the files from my system using any recovery softwares. So...
Okay, so I decided to get Far Cry 3, not knowing I got the lame Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon instead of the main one with Vaas as the game's cover art. I then decided to uninstall the game from my computer, I uninstalled it and then assumed it was gone until recently I got the official Far Cry 3 and...
I have this problem all the time. I try to delete a file that is not open and get the message in this screen capture. Usually (but not always) I can reboot and delete. What causes this and how can I prevent it?
Hey guys, on my main C Drive, I've had these weird looking files on here for the longest time, and even though they aren't that big in size I'd still like to remove them, the thing is, I don't know if it's safe. Here is a Screencap of the files (the ones under Windows) 23451 23452 23453 ...
I upgraded (not clean install) my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and now I have three problems. The first is that I can't delete the Windows.old folder. The second is that Disk use is 100% for an hour or so after startup and random spikes causing everything to respond slowly or stop responding....
Hey..I was having a problem since my computer shows "windows cannot delete the active system partition on this disk". Please help me out and guide me on how to delete the partition on which i have windows 7 installed. Here is the screen shot : 18578
Delete files in Network & Sharing
I am new to WIN-8 and networking but decent with Win-7. On new 8 computer I set up a network, not wireless, to 7 machine.I then put some folders in a transfer folder on network, saw them on 8 machine and copied them to desired location. Now I want to empty transfer folder but no matter which file,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook