Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Portable Hard Disk Failure

  1. #1


    India
    Posts : 50
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise

    Portable Hard Disk Failure


    First of all.. let me say that this HDD does not have any kind physical damage. It has not been dropped.. nor it has a clicking or beeping sound.
    The HDD is SeaGate FreeAgent Go 250 GB. I always watch movies in bulk. So I copy it to my HDD and plug it in the TV and use it. Today when I plugged it in to my PC for watching another set of movies, the copying was not going in a stable manner.. instead the graph showed mountain-like copying.. i.e. first it goes at much speed and then it loses and fall back to 1 or 2 mb/s.. So I thought that a defrag could set things right. I defragged it and went for a coffee.. After coming back, the defrag was complete but i was unable to open the HDD.. I safely removed it but it said it was in use..
    I shut down my PC and unplugged it.. turned on my PC but when I insert my HDD its unreadable.. it shows no percentage of free space.. only just Local Disk F.. ( earlier it used to show FreeAgent GO) I ran chkdsk F: /f /r.. but it showed some error.. I closed it. The log file is attached..

    Now whenever I open my HDD, its stops responding.. I know it can be solved.. please help me out.. I didn't do anything to break it.
    Portable Hard Disk Failure Attached Files

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hi,

    I would definitely suggest you use this tool first SeaTools for Windows | Seagate to determine errors and the health status of your drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    India
    Posts : 50
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    It shows FAIL error code 0
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    You may also try to use this tool to view the SMART info of your drive >> PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there.

    In all the years I've been using computers I don't think I've EVER defragged a disk - or on the rare occasions I *might* have done didn't think performance gain was even just a teeny bit noticeable. Other might have a different view on this but IMO that's my view and I'm sticking to it -- and of course with SSD's you don't need to anyway.

    What I'd have a go at is plug your disk into ANOTHER machine and see if it works.

    If you don't have another computer try control panel ==>administrative tools==>computer management==>disk management and see if your device is there.

    Sometimes an external disk can't be seen from file / windows explorer because the Letter has become unassigned. If you can see it assign it a letter and it should then mount and be visible.

    If the disk is genuinely broken then there's not a lot you can do --

    as always people should take REGULAR BACKUPS whether it's the OS or DATA. DATA doesn't need to be backed up so often as the OS but IT STILL DOES NEED TO BE BACKED UP.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    India
    Posts : 50
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by frozwire View Post
    You may also try to use this tool to view the SMART info of your drive >> PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility
    It didn't recognize the HDD..

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    In all the years I've been using computers I don't think I've EVER defragged a disk - or on the rare occasions I *might* have done didn't think performance gain was even just a teeny bit noticeable. Other might have a different view on this but IMO that's my view and I'm sticking to it -- and of course with SSD's you don't need to anyway.

    What I'd have a go at is plug your disk into ANOTHER machine and see if it works.

    If you don't have another computer try control panel ==>administrative tools==>computer management==>disk management and see if your device is there.

    Sometimes an external disk can't be seen from file / windows explorer because the Letter has become unassigned. If you can see it assign it a letter and it should then mount and be visible.

    If the disk is genuinely broken then there's not a lot you can do --

    as always people should take REGULAR BACKUPS whether it's the OS or DATA. DATA doesn't need to be backed up so often as the OS but IT STILL DOES NEED TO BE BACKED UP.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I did plug into my laptop and it did the same thing..
    The device is there on Device Manager..
    It is assigned a letter, it is mounted too..
    the thing is that..
    see this pic -Click image for larger version
    And I have a question.. I found this tutorial with the exact same problem..
    » How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW
    will it help me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by rohidroid View Post
    And I have a question.. I found this tutorial with the exact same problem..
    » How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW
    will it help me?
    Yeah you can give it a shot, seems to be a helpful and nice tutorial for your problem. Good Luck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    India
    Posts : 50
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by frozwire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rohidroid View Post
    And I have a question.. I found this tutorial with the exact same problem..
    » How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW
    will it help me?
    Yeah you can give it a shot, seems to be a helpful and nice tutorial for your problem. Good Luck
    It did go through all the steps smoothly.. but didn't fix the drive..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Did you able to recover your files? How far did you went through with the procedure?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    India
    Posts : 50
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by frozwire View Post
    Did you able to recover your files? How far did you went through with the procedure?
    I didn't recover the files the tutorial's way.. but I did recover it by copying from the partition table and pasting it to my mounted local disk d..
    Please don't say that its broken.. I know its not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Portable Hard Disk Failure
Related Threads
Solved W8 Rebuild Problem -- Disk Failure in Installation & Setup
So, My desktop has been running Windows 8.1 for awhile now, happily chugging along and serving up Netflix. Recently I'd noticed the hard drive was getting loud (searching a lot, loud spin up/spin down noises), and figured it was time to do the SSD upgrade I'd asked about on here ages ago. I've...
Hullo there! I came back to my Asus F75VD laptop (purchased in September) last night to a Windows message saying: "Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or...
Hard drive failure in Drivers & Hardware
Hi all,I have a problem with hard drive. My old hdd seems to be crashed and windows couldnot not be loaded. So i bought a new one amd installed windows 8 in it. Now, i attached the old hdd as a secondary drive. But after doing so my windows would not load properly, it would take hours to load. I...
PC : Compaq Presario CQ3623L OS : Windows 8 Pro x64 Problem : Cannot Eject any Portable Hard Drive with Safely Remove Hardware Window. My Portable HD didn't show on Safely Remove Hardware windows, so I cant eject them. Please any advice to me? Thank you.
Solved Hard Drive Failure: next steps? in Performance & Maintenance
EightForums community, I have an HP Desktop (Pavilion p6331p) and I did a clean install of Windows 8. Recently, however, the hard drive has failed (I used the tools in the BIOS to figure that out). I'll turn it on, it will function for a few minutes, and then give me a blue screen (even in...
Woke up this morning to a frozen Windows 8 screen. Only way out was to power off. On reboot, my nightmare began. No boot device. Long story short, I went through many attempts at a reset, repair, reinstalls, off the Windows 8 DVD, all to no avail. Indeed, when I booted into Dell...
Can anyone tell me if the above Exteral HDD will be compatable with windows 8. It works fine with Windows 7 Premium. Thanks. Moonshine.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook