Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


HDD not Detected: Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized, Online

  1. #21


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tews View Post
    It would seem that your drive is toast.
    Maybe, maybe not. It could just be the USB interface in the enclosure that failed. I don't think the OP has removed the drive from the enclosure yet. That would be my next move. A lot of those uitilities may actually work with the drive connected in a PC and removed from the enclosure.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I read this in earlier post "Yes I have pulled it out of the casing but it doesn't do anything better.
    The model of the hard drive is WD Blue (EIDE) WD1600BEVE. "
    so I assumed it's connected directly to IDE port. To connect 2.4" HDD to desktop PC it would need an adapter from micro (laptop ) connector to full size IDE for Desktop PC.
    I am sorry if I misunderstood your sentences. Did you mean the pins?

    The pins are soldered intact with IDE to USB 2.0 circuit.
    That circuit card should detach from the hard drive if you pull it. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that are plugged into the header on that circuit board.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.
    Man, I have got to learn to read all the posts in the tread before replying. lol, I didn't see that post where the circuit card was still attached until after I made my other post. I think its going to be one of those days.

    EDIT: It does look like a laptop IDE drive so he will need an adapter to connect it in a desktop PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 32
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I read this in earlier post "Yes I have pulled it out of the casing but it doesn't do anything better.
    The model of the hard drive is WD Blue (EIDE) WD1600BEVE. "
    so I assumed it's connected directly to IDE port. To connect 2.4" HDD to desktop PC it would need an adapter from micro (laptop ) connector to full size IDE for Desktop PC.
    Yes, I see that now, missed it before somehow, sorry. Yeah it sounds like the drive died.
    I think so too what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.
    If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters.

    EDIT: Refer to my next reply. What a slow realization I just had. LOL.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 32
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

    Maybe, maybe not. It could just be the USB interface in the enclosure that failed. I don't think the OP has removed the drive from the enclosure yet. That would be my next move. A lot of those uitilities may actually work with the drive connected in a PC and removed from the enclosure.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I read this in earlier post "Yes I have pulled it out of the casing but it doesn't do anything better.
    The model of the hard drive is WD Blue (EIDE) WD1600BEVE. "
    so I assumed it's connected directly to IDE port. To connect 2.4" HDD to desktop PC it would need an adapter from micro (laptop ) connector to full size IDE for Desktop PC.
    I am sorry if I misunderstood your sentences. Did you mean the pins?

    The pins are soldered intact with IDE to USB 2.0 circuit.
    That circuit card should detach from the hard drive if you pull it. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that are plugged into the header on that circuit board.
    OH WOW! I just felt like an idiot and slap myself! I kept on thinking the ports are THE pins so I didn't dare to pull it. After thinking it for a while... I was like: "Wait, it should be a set of PINS and I should be able to pull it out!".

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.
    Man, I have got to learn to read all the posts in the tread before replying. lol, I didn't see that post where the circuit card was still attached until after I made my other post. I think its going to be one of those days.

    EDIT: It does look like a laptop IDE drive so he will need an adapter to connect it in a desktop PC.
    Haha. I think we are so efficient in replying that we didn't notice there are new replies when we submitted ours. I really enjoy this discussion somehow.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I read this in earlier post "Yes I have pulled it out of the casing but it doesn't do anything better.
    The model of the hard drive is WD Blue (EIDE) WD1600BEVE. "
    so I assumed it's connected directly to IDE port. To connect 2.4" HDD to desktop PC it would need an adapter from micro (laptop ) connector to full size IDE for Desktop PC.
    Yes, I see that now, missed it before somehow, sorry. Yeah it sounds like the drive died.
    I think so too what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.
    If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters.
    Just in case you missed my other post. That circuit card plugs into the drive and can be removed. The pins you see soldered into the card are for the header that is part of the card. That header connects to a mating header, or plug, on the hard drive. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that plug into the header on the circuit card. If hold the drive and you pull the circuit card away they will detach from each other.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

    Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 32
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

    Yes, I see that now, missed it before somehow, sorry. Yeah it sounds like the drive died.
    I think so too what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.
    If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters.
    Just in case you missed my other post. That circuit card plugs into the drive and can be removed. The pins you see soldered into the card are for the header that is part of the card. That header connects to a mating header, or plug, on the hard drive. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that plug into the header on the circuit card. If hold the drive and you pull the circuit card away they will detach from each other.
    Ahaha! Yes. I just realized it (what the heck, brain) and made a reply on top of yours
    So the next move is to find a new EIDE to USB port and test it again, correct?

    Not to disrespect CountMike's advice. Please excuse me as I am not good in this field.
    Do EIDE port and IDE port the same? Are they like USB 2.0 (EIDE) vs USB 3.0 (IDE) kind of generations?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

    Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.
    Yes, finally we are in sync!
    I can't really feel it, maybe because I sure take my time making replies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

    Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.
    Yeah we might be all over the world and who knows where the server is. Anyway by the time I am writing this, just noticed another post coming from gmail.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post

    I think so too what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.


    If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters.
    Just in case you missed my other post. That circuit card plugs into the drive and can be removed. The pins you see soldered into the card are for the header that is part of the card. That header connects to a mating header, or plug, on the hard drive. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that plug into the header on the circuit card. If hold the drive and you pull the circuit card away they will detach from each other.
    Ahaha! Yes. I just realized it (what the heck, brain) and made a reply on top of yours
    So the next move is to find a new EIDE to USB port and test it again, correct?

    Not to disrespect CountMike's advice. Please excuse me as I am not good in this field.
    Do EIDE port and IDE port the same? Are they like USB 2.0 (EIDE) vs USB 3.0 (IDE) kind of generations?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

    Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.
    Yes, finally we are in sync!
    I can't really feel it, maybe because I sure take my time making replies.
    The deal is the laptop drives, the 2.5 inch form factor drives, have a different IDE connector than desktop drives, the 3.5 inch form factor drives. One is not compatible with the other without an adapter. If it had been a SATA drive it wouldn't matter, laptop and desktop drives use identical SATA ports.
    Your options are to try another enclosure that is compatible with that drive or get an adapter that converts it to the desktop IDE or SATA. The second option may be cheaper. You need to know if your desktop PC has an IDE bus.

    Something like this may also be an option, Newegg.ca - Rosewill RCW-608 USB2.0 Adapter For IDE/SATA Device (Include Protection case) I have one and have found it very useful. It may be overkill though if you think you will only ever use it once.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post

    I think so too what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.



    If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters.
    Just in case you missed my other post. That circuit card plugs into the drive and can be removed. The pins you see soldered into the card are for the header that is part of the card. That header connects to a mating header, or plug, on the hard drive. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that plug into the header on the circuit card. If hold the drive and you pull the circuit card away they will detach from each other.
    Ahaha! Yes. I just realized it (what the heck, brain) and made a reply on top of yours
    So the next move is to find a new EIDE to USB port and test it again, correct?

    Not to disrespect CountMike's advice. Please excuse me as I am not good in this field.
    Do EIDE port and IDE port the same? Are they like USB 2.0 (EIDE) vs USB 3.0 (IDE) kind of generations?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

    Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.
    Yes, finally we are in sync!
    I can't really feel it, maybe because I sure take my time making replies.
    E (Ehanced)IDE port is he full name and practically same thing as far as connectors are concerned. Don't want to make more confusion but it all falls under S.C.A.S.I standards. All IDE (EIDE) pins are compatible with 40 pins to each side but ATA 33 (UDMA 33) cables have 40 wires in the cable and ATA 66, 100, 133 and 150 (UDMA66 etc...) have 80 wires but still only 40 pins because every wire has a shielding for less interference at higher speeds.
    Ugh, shouldn't have started this, it gets even more complicated from there.
    Anyway if this HDD is really removed from that adapter, then to conect it again would requier one of those adapters I was talking about before because on 2.5" drives IDE (ATA) connectors are much smaller than on 3.5" drives. Those smaller ones are found in laptops and larger ones in the desktops but are electrically and logicaly compatible, in this case it's size that matters.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
HDD not Detected: Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized, Online
Related Threads
I've got 600GB HD (Rock mobile disk) that goes without saying need to be recuperated. It was working fine earlier this summer when I last accessed it. A few weeks ago, I plugged it in again and it gave me an I/O Device Error, read and unspecified error. I have been researching a solution non...
How to Change Status of a Disk to Offline or Online in Windows When you take a disk offline, it will no longer show up or be accessible by users until an administrator brings it back online. This tutorial will show you how to change the status of a hard disk to be offline or online for all...
Hi Question before I proceed please : Have 2 hard drives (SSDs). Drive 1 : OS Win 8.1 for general web, office and junk running Drive 2 : OS Win 8.1 for tweaked hobby work; Audio recording etc Whilst I wish to not physically disconnect the drives on each boot. I would like to have the...
Solved Disk Space used by unknown Entity in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I have another problem I hope you guys can fix. My C: drive, an 80 gig thing, Shows that its full but I cannot pinpoint with what? Is there some thing I can do to fix this?
33391
"Unknown PC or device detected" in Network & Sharing
I'm not truly the best with computers, and this is a new pop up for me. I just purchased this new dell laptop in May and have had no problems with it. However, in the last few weeks I've been getting a new pop up in the right hand corner. My house hold have a wireless router that is password...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook