Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Hard drive doesnt show up under My Computer?

  1. #1


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64

    Hard drive doesnt show up under My Computer?


    i installed win7 on my SSD (like 22gb drive) in my asus today. Now, under my computer, it shows nothing but the SSD. it doesn't show my 500gb hard drive.. Im pretty sure its because of something i didnt do in the setup..
    What should i do to get it to show up? i really really really don't wanna re install windows because i got all the drivers and installed programs..

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hi there jagwar.There was probably no drive letter assigned to the HDD.Go to disk mamagement,right click on the on the 500 drive and under "change drive letter and path",assign one to it,should be fine.That is,you are sure that the sata cable is properly seated,power cable as well and you are not "hiding"the drive by any way.Post back!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by proudtobegreek View Post
    Hi there jagwar.There was probably no drive letter assigned to the HDD.Go to disk mamagement,right click on the on the 500 drive and under "change drive letter and path",assign one to it,should be fine.That is,you are sure that the sata cable is properly seated,power cable as well and you are not "hiding"the drive by any way.Post back!
    I went into disk manager and right clicked Disk 1 (500gb), everything was faded except "Convert to Dynamic Disk", Properties, and Help.
    I then right clicked the 100mb thing to the right of it, assigned that, got it working.
    And then there is the "Unallocated" thing on the right.. What should i do?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    @jagwar: Click on New Simple Volume..., then in the next 3-5 windows you can use defaults by clicking 'Next', assuming you want to use all the space, with the exception of 'naming the volume' window perhaps.
    ***Unfortunately, if you had data on that drive it will be wiped out***
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    I presume this is a new HDD,so its space is showing as unallocated,it is not partitioned yet.Creating one or multiple partitions is a straight forward and easy task but i worry about that your system reserved partition (the 100 MB partition) is located at that second disk.Pretty sure you did your installation whilst the HDD was hooked on.Could you reinstall or is too late and have already proceeded with updates and drivers and stuff?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    @jagwar: Click on New Simple Volume..., then in the next 3-5 windows you can use defaults by clicking 'Next', assuming you want to use all the space, with the exception of 'naming the volume' window perhaps.
    ***Unfortunately, if you had data on that drive it will be wiped out***
    OK it should be empty. I did this and it worked. thx
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by proudtobegreek View Post
    I presume this is a new HDD,so its space is showing as unallocated,it is not partitioned yet.Creating one or multiple partitions is a straight forward and easy task but i worry about that your system reserved partition (the 100 MB partition) is located at that second disk.Pretty sure you did your installation whilst the HDD was hooked on.Could you reinstall or is too late and have already proceeded with updates and drivers and stuff?
    Yeah its too late to reinstall.
    I did what the other guy said and it worked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Of course it would work,but you are tied up with that 500 HDD cause of the 100MB partition on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by proudtobegreek View Post
    Of course it would work,but you are tied up with that 500 HDD cause of the 100MB partition on it.
    i dont understand
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hard drive doesnt show up under My Computer?
Related Threads
Anyone got the idea on how do I solve this problem? When I right-click on any tiles it doesnt show the right click option like to change the tiles size, remove the tiles and such.. It just show the "tick icon" on it but no menu option. :confused: 42539 How do I get this menu bar back? Please...
Hello,I am going through a quite annoying problem here. Earlier today I took my hard drive out of my computer and put in into another computer, to move some files that were too large to slap on a flashdrive. When I put the hard drive back into the original computer, everything booted up okay,...
I'm using my laptop using Windows 8 and install on drive C. After that, by some reason, I hard reset (press turn off button for long time) to restart my computer. From that point, every time I turn on computer, at start up screen, will appear a text : "Scanning hard drive D 100%" and waiting for...
Im a computer repair tech, so I'm always hooking up hard drives from other computers to backup data or run certain off-line tasks With windows 7, I could access the entire contents of a drive without any issues (via external USB dock) including \documents and settings\<user name> (Windows XP...
Yesterday I did a format and clean install of Windows 8 Pro. For reasons unknown to me however, my hard drive has been assigned two different drive letters and so is listed twice in My Computer among other places. Why is this and how I can return it to normal? Please see screenshot below if this...
Solved Doesnt read external hard disk in Drivers & Hardware
I installed windows 8 32-bit by mistake so I formatted my pc and installed 64-bit, and now when I connect my external hard disk (1 tb silicon power) it doesnt recognize it. And in the device manger it says: Other Devices: ...
Im trying to execute the WPSDK-7.1.1-KB2669191-x86 update for the window phone SDK, but whenever I execute it, it shows nothing, the mouse looks like loading for a bit but nothing happens at first hand,no window pop up, no installation start up. When running task manager and going to details, I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook