Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Formatting of tablets,

  1. #1


    Posts : 68
    windows 7

    Formatting of tablets,


    Formatting of tablets,

    I got a tablet of the brand “Dell Latitude 10 ST2” and wanted to format it but I couldn’t figure out how this tablet can be formatted as it has no DVD drive to boot.

    Is the only solution is to have Bootable USB for windows 8?

    Thank you

    Best

    Jamal

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jamal numan View Post
    Formatting of tablets,

    I got a tablet of the brand “Dell Latitude 10 ST2” and wanted to format it but I couldn’t figure out how this tablet can be formatted as it has no DVD drive to boot.

    Is the only solution is to have Bootable USB for windows 8?


    Thank you

    Best

    Jamal
    A USB DVD drive may also work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 68
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal numan View Post
    Formatting of tablets,

    I got a tablet of the brand “Dell Latitude 10 ST2” and wanted to format it but I couldn’t figure out how this tablet can be formatted as it has no DVD drive to boot.

    Is the only solution is to have Bootable USB for windows 8?


    Thank you

    Best

    Jamal
    A USB DVD drive may also work.
    Many thanks theog and alphanumeric

    I would prefer to have the Windows on USB and to boot from it to start the format.

    I couldn’t find such USB that includes Windows 8.1 in the market
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Yes, just use a 4 gig USB drive, preferably USB 3.0 as it's SO MUCH faster than 2.0 when it comes to installing Windows.

    The basic gist is that you format the USB drive to FAT32, do some diskpart commands, set the drive as active, and then copy over the contents of the Windows 8.1 install .iso over to the USB drive.

    VERY CRUCIAL STEP HERE!

    If you want to keep upgrade privileges from Windows 8 to 8.1, you need to use the vbs script from here...
    Product Key - Find for Windows 8

    You'll need that product key to successfully activate Windows 8.1 with the tablet's precooked key.

    Also, if you want to do a clean install of Windows 8.1, you'll need an MSDN copy of Windows 8.1 Core.

    I personally wipe out the recovery partition and keep the base UEFI partitions, the EFI and OS partitions, and leave the rest. It's mostly because it'll give you some added disk space and, well, if Windows craps itself, you already have a USB drive that you can use to repair it, of which is a clean copy of Windows and not Dell's image of such. But if you use the Windows installer from the USB drive, it'll make the default partitions.

    Lastly, when you actually DO the install, don't google around to how to enter the BIOS of your tablet as I'm sure as the devil you'll find people saying to hit, "F2, F12, F10 or the Del key." Don't. Those don't work WHATSOEVER with UEFI BIOS. It's such a peeve of mine to read that because that only applies to MBR BIOS systems and not UEFI. The easiest way is to go into PC Settings, General, Advanced Startup, I think Troubleshoot, then Advanced, and then Boot to UEFI USB Drive. It'll reboot to the Windows installer on your USB drive.

    I've done this more than a few times if you can tell.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Yes, just use a 4 gig USB drive, preferably USB 3.0 as it's SO MUCH faster than 2.0 when it comes to installing Windows.

    The basic gist is that you format the USB drive to FAT32, do some diskpart commands, set the drive as active, and then copy over the contents of the Windows 8.1 install .iso over to the USB drive.

    VERY CRUCIAL STEP HERE!

    If you want to keep upgrade privileges from Windows 8 to 8.1, you need to use the vbs script from here...
    Product Key - Find for Windows 8

    You'll need that product key to successfully activate Windows 8.1 with the tablet's precooked key.

    Also, if you want to do a clean install of Windows 8.1, you'll need an MSDN copy of Windows 8.1 Core.

    I personally wipe out the recovery partition and keep the base UEFI partitions, the EFI and OS partitions, and leave the rest. It's mostly because it'll give you some added disk space and, well, if Windows craps itself, you already have a USB drive that you can use to repair it, of which is a clean copy of Windows and not Dell's image of such. But if you use the Windows installer from the USB drive, it'll make the default partitions.

    Lastly, when you actually DO the install, don't google around to how to enter the BIOS of your tablet as I'm sure as the devil you'll find people saying to hit, "F2, F12, F10 or the Del key." Don't. Those don't work WHATSOEVER with UEFI BIOS. It's such a peeve of mine to read that because that only applies to MBR BIOS systems and not UEFI. The easiest way is to go into PC Settings, General, Advanced Startup, I think Troubleshoot, then Advanced, and then Boot to UEFI USB Drive. It'll reboot to the Windows installer on your USB drive.

    I've done this more than a few times if you can tell.
    Just a heads up, the vbs script may or may not work, rweverything is a better option. The script reads the key from the registry, if you've used add features to upgrade to Pro or add Media Benter it will retrieve that key, not the original OEM key. rweverything actually reads it out of the BIOS where its stored.

    This will sound like nit picking but MSDM ISO's are multi edition Core and Pro. You won't find a MSDN Core ISO, it will just be Windows 8.0, the 64 bit English ISO is en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso. You can install Core or Pro with it depending on what product code you enter.

    Lastly, if you turn Fast Startup off in Windows 8 you can use your function key to enter the BIOS on boot up, Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8. Fast Startup is a hybrid sleep mode. It appears that because the PC is not truly fully shut down you can't access the BIOS on boot up. I've turned the fast startup off and have no problems accessing my BIOS via keyboard on boot up. This really is a very aggravating scenario for those that don't know. If your PC won't actually boot into Windows so you can access that advanced startup options you get stuck in an endless loop of reboots. Just trying to boot from other media can be a pain as you can't access your BIOS to switch the boot order. Not a good thing at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Yes, just use a 4 gig USB drive, preferably USB 3.0 as it's SO MUCH faster than 2.0 when it comes to installing Windows.

    The basic gist is that you format the USB drive to FAT32, do some diskpart commands, set the drive as active, and then copy over the contents of the Windows 8.1 install .iso over to the USB drive.

    VERY CRUCIAL STEP HERE!

    If you want to keep upgrade privileges from Windows 8 to 8.1, you need to use the vbs script from here...
    Product Key - Find for Windows 8

    You'll need that product key to successfully activate Windows 8.1 with the tablet's precooked key.

    Also, if you want to do a clean install of Windows 8.1, you'll need an MSDN copy of Windows 8.1 Core.

    I personally wipe out the recovery partition and keep the base UEFI partitions, the EFI and OS partitions, and leave the rest. It's mostly because it'll give you some added disk space and, well, if Windows craps itself, you already have a USB drive that you can use to repair it, of which is a clean copy of Windows and not Dell's image of such. But if you use the Windows installer from the USB drive, it'll make the default partitions.

    Lastly, when you actually DO the install, don't google around to how to enter the BIOS of your tablet as I'm sure as the devil you'll find people saying to hit, "F2, F12, F10 or the Del key." Don't. Those don't work WHATSOEVER with UEFI BIOS. It's such a peeve of mine to read that because that only applies to MBR BIOS systems and not UEFI. The easiest way is to go into PC Settings, General, Advanced Startup, I think Troubleshoot, then Advanced, and then Boot to UEFI USB Drive. It'll reboot to the Windows installer on your USB drive.

    I've done this more than a few times if you can tell.
    Just a heads up, the vbs script may or may not work, rweverything is a better option. The script reads the key from the registry, if you've used add features to upgrade to Pro or add Media Benter it will retrieve that key, not the original OEM key. rweverything actually reads it out of the BIOS where its stored.

    This will sound like nit picking but MSDM ISO's are multi edition Core and Pro. You won't find a MSDN Core ISO, it will just be Windows 8.0, the 64 bit English ISO is en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso. You can install Core or Pro with it depending on what product code you enter.

    Lastly, if you turn Fast Startup off in Windows 8 you can use your function key to enter the BIOS on boot up, Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8. Fast Startup is a hybrid sleep mode. It appears that because the PC is not truly fully shut down you can't access the BIOS on boot up. I've turned the fast startup off and have no problems accessing my BIOS via keyboard on boot up. This really is a very aggravating scenario for those that don't know. If your PC won't actually boot into Windows so you can access that advanced startup options you get stuck in an endless loop of reboots. Just trying to boot from other media can be a pain as you can't access your BIOS to switch the boot order. Not a good thing at all.
    If you're doing an install of Core, using the vbs script will be fine.

    I was trying find a single edition of 8.1 Core just now and I'm having trouble with that. But I was able to snag a Core MSDN iso image of JUST core like a few months ago. But still, if you install Core and use in-system product, it'll fine.

    I've never heard or tried that Fast Startup disabling to access the BIOS. Interesting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    If you haven't upgraded from the factory install the vbs script will work fine. There is no stand alone edition of just 8 Core on MSDN or TechNet, like I said its just 8 (Multiple Editions). I have a TechNet and MSDN subscription. The product code entered determines what's installed, core or pro. If your looking at ISO's on bit torrent sites you'll see some claim to be Core or Pro but that's based on what was bought retail. The box may say Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro but as far as I know its the same DVD set in each box. The keys for the TechNet ISO's are listed as Retail keys. The TechNet ISO will except those retail keys and also use the embedded OEM keys. There are no separate OEM and Retail versions listed on TechNet either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you haven't upgraded from the factory install the vbs script will work fine. There is no stand alone edition of just 8 Core on MSDN or TechNet, like I said its just 8 (Multiple Editions). I have a TechNet and MSDN subscription. The product code entered determines what's installed, core or pro. If your looking at ISO's on bit torrent sites you'll see some claim to be Core or Pro but that's based on what was bought retail. The box may say Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro but as far as I know its the same DVD set in each box. The keys for the TechNet ISO's are listed as Retail keys. The TechNet ISO will except those retail keys and also use the embedded OEM keys. There are no separate OEM and Retail versions listed on TechNet either.
    Interesting, I do believe I downloaded the separate retail .iso. I've been using that to cook custom images for installs of 8.1 over 8 and 7. That one has been working perfectly fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Formatting of tablets,
Related Threads
I've got a HDD currently using MBR that has 2 partitions. DISK 1: Partition 1 - C:\ (System) Partition 2 - D:\ (Data) At the moment I'm using Win 8 on the MBR HDD and I would like to convert to GPT without losing data stored on partition 2. I'll be reinstalling Win 8 on partition 1 so I...
@ hi roomies, I'm trying to format this new HDD that I just bought for $20.00 in a Flea Market. Can some one help me please? I'm using window 8 pro and here are some pictures. Thank You. 16484
Formatting and Re-installing in Installation & Setup
Hey, I have dell xps 15 windows 7 machine with 8 gigs of memory, which i recently upgraded to windows 8. But i have constantly been having problems with my hdd, I ran the dell support utility and my hdd fails the "linear read test-2" So it tells me to perform chkdsk. But my chkdsk always gets...
Solved Formatting Windows 8? in Installation & Setup
Hey, I bought an Acer Aspire V3-571G brand new a few weeks ago and I'm sending it back for a refund. I'm currently having problems with formatting it and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. I need to remove all my personal information from the laptop but Windows 8 was...
Read more at source: Windows 8 Tablets: The most successful tablets ever. | ZDNet
yo guys I was wondering if you could give me a quick rundown on tablets? To be honest, I used to hate the idea of tablets, but now that they are getting more and more powerful, they are kinda just like more "portable laptops". that's what I'm looking for really. I'm relatively new to...
Read more at source: Windows 8 tablets are coming: Tablets for those already not buying tablets | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook