Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Ps/2 port working for keyboard but not mouse.

  1. #1


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit

    Ps/2 port working for keyboard but not mouse.


    Hello everyone,
    I am using Windows 8 64 bit Pro. After my ps/2 mouse was giving problems I recently switched to using a wireless usb mouse. Now when that didn't suit me I wanted switch back to a ps/2 mouse. But the problem is that now when I attach the mouse to the ps/2 port, Windows does not detect it like it previously did. But when I connect a ps/2 keyboard to the ps/2 port it works fine. And yes my ps/2 port can be used for both mouse and keyboard, this I have tested before. In the device manager I can't find any entry for standard ps/2 mouse in the mice and other pointing devices section. But there is one such entry for the keyboard. I guess the real source of the problem is that I don't have the driver for standard ps/2 mouse. How can I reinstall the Windows 8 64bit compatible driver for standard ps/2 mouse. A screenshot of the Device Manager list is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails device_manager.jpg  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Jeez, in this age everyone uses USB I think.

    It seems that there are two Mouse entries in that list. They must both be the USB one I'm guessing?

    The HID mouse on yours seems to be installed, with no Yellow ! triangle next to it, so drivers must be installed.

    There is no ps/2 mouse entry though.




    But look at mine: it has a ps/2 entry for the keyboard but I'm working of a laptop that doesn't have any ps2 outlets...



    Click image for larger version





    On yours It might be the mouse itself... Might be getting a little old if its still PS/2.

    Either way, I see no way that the drivers can not be installed, since that's one of the main components.

    Might be windows 8 finally dropping the good old gear and going for the new...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoType View Post
    Jeez, in this age everyone uses USB I think.

    It seems that there are two Mouse entries in that list. They must both be the USB one I'm guessing?

    The HID mouse on yours seems to be installed, with no Yellow ! triangle next to it, so drivers must be installed.

    There is no ps/2 mouse entry though.




    But look at mine: it has a ps/2 entry for the keyboard but I'm working of a laptop that doesn't have any ps2 outlets...



    Click image for larger version





    On yours It might be the mouse itself... Might be getting a little old if its still PS/2.

    Either way, I see no way that the drivers can not be installed, since that's one of the main components.

    Might be windows 8 finally dropping the good old gear and going for the new...
    So you are telling me that there is no ps/2 mouse support in Windows 8 ???
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    No, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just wondering out loud I guess.


    I've been doing some research after this question was asked, and it seems many people have the problem but haven't found a solution.

    It has to support it though, if it pops up in device manager...

    here's the closest I can get to fixing your problem, this is posted from another website:

    I first, went into the Device Manager, expanded the Keyboard section, and clicked Uninstall on the Standard PS/2 Keyboard, and I did the same for my Standard PS/2 Mouse. Then, while the computer was still running, I unplugged both PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Then I shut down the PC, while off, I reinserted both mouse and keyboard, then upon entering the Logon screen, both mouse and keyboard worked again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by sreyan32 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoType View Post
    Jeez, in this age everyone uses USB I think.

    It seems that there are two Mouse entries in that list. They must both be the USB one I'm guessing?

    The HID mouse on yours seems to be installed, with no Yellow ! triangle next to it, so drivers must be installed.

    There is no ps/2 mouse entry though.




    But look at mine: it has a ps/2 entry for the keyboard but I'm working of a laptop that doesn't have any ps2 outlets...



    Click image for larger version





    On yours It might be the mouse itself... Might be getting a little old if its still PS/2.

    Either way, I see no way that the drivers can not be installed, since that's one of the main components.

    Might be windows 8 finally dropping the good old gear and going for the new...
    So you are telling me that there is no ps/2 mouse support in Windows 8 ???
    PS/2 Mouse Support is still available in Windows 8.
    My Parent's PC uses a Genius Mouse, and worked perfectly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoType View Post
    No, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just wondering out loud I guess.


    I've been doing some research after this question was asked, and it seems many people have the problem but haven't found a solution.

    It has to support it though, if it pops up in device manager...

    here's the closest I can get to fixing your problem, this is posted from another website:

    I first, went into the Device Manager, expanded the Keyboard section, and clicked Uninstall on the Standard PS/2 Keyboard, and I did the same for my Standard PS/2 Mouse. Then, while the computer was still running, I unplugged both PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Then I shut down the PC, while off, I reinserted both mouse and keyboard, then upon entering the Logon screen, both mouse and keyboard worked again
    Tell me something, I uninstall my standard ps/2 mouse and keyboard driver, now if I don't get my ps/2 mouse or keyboard to work after the restart then what will I do ?? My ps/2 keyboard already works. Now if I uninstall the driver of ps/2 keyboard how do I get it back ???? Will Microsoft's Intellipoint mouse driver to do the job of supporting ps/2 mouses?? Then I will install that driver.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sreyan32 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoType View Post
    Jeez, in this age everyone uses USB I think.

    It seems that there are two Mouse entries in that list. They must both be the USB one I'm guessing?

    The HID mouse on yours seems to be installed, with no Yellow ! triangle next to it, so drivers must be installed.

    There is no ps/2 mouse entry though.




    But look at mine: it has a ps/2 entry for the keyboard but I'm working of a laptop that doesn't have any ps2 outlets...



    Click image for larger version





    On yours It might be the mouse itself... Might be getting a little old if its still PS/2.

    Either way, I see no way that the drivers can not be installed, since that's one of the main components.

    Might be windows 8 finally dropping the good old gear and going for the new...
    So you are telling me that there is no ps/2 mouse support in Windows 8 ???
    PS/2 Mouse Support is still available in Windows 8.
    My Parent's PC uses a Genius Mouse, and worked perfectly.
    Thank for confirming. Then can you tell me any reason why I don't have the standard ps/2 mouse listed in my device manager ?? Because I don't remember explicitly uninstalling the driver for it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Is this the same mouse that had issues? If yes what were the issues? If you can try the mouse in another PC to make sure it actually works. On combo PS2 ports like that the mouse uses one specific pin for Data and the keyboard another. The rest, power and ground are common to both. My guess is the mouse is broken/defective. Most likely a broken wire in the cord. Just an educated guess though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    Check your BIOS has legacy PS2 device support enabled. From recollection (not used one for a long time) a PS2 mouse has to be plugged in at boot to be found, there is no hot plugging once the OS is up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    You are correct, its not advisable to hot plug PS2 devices. It can actually damage the PS2 port. I "think" the option you are referring to is actually called "Legacy USB support". It lets you access the BIOS with a USB keyboard when no PS2 keyboard is connected. The USB keyboard is emulated to be a PS2 keyboard. Its also been a while since I've used a PS2 anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ps/2 port working for keyboard but not mouse.
Related Threads
Keyboard and mouse not working in Drivers & Hardware
I have the same thing as Tinyman...no keyboard or mouse by attempting to add safe mode with networking. What is UEFI? Where do I find this USB viewable option as I am connected by USB? I went to set up (F2 at boot) > and then searched around for anything that relates to USB and found that USB...
Hi, today I was makeing an essey in microsof office and suddenly my mouse and keyboard. stopped working, replugging the devices didn't worked (did it for 5 times ) , after this I tried to restart the pc I found out that rr button doesn't do anything , after I stopped the power going to pc and...
i have just installed win8.1 and I have the the same problem. i am a using a MS sidewinder keyboard and mouse. (surely this is compatible). any one who can help???
Same problem here stuck on the lock screen, no choice but to power down and reboot. Dell XPS420 with Logitech wireless mouse and Dell USB keyboard ... 8.1 preview doesn't recognize either device
Mouse and keyboard not working??? in Drivers & Hardware
I have installed Windows 8 Release Preview for a month. I installed this OS normally without any problem during installation and I used hardwares normally. I But now, my mouse, keyboard and all USB plugins don't work. When I start my computer, the light on my keyboard turn on and then off when...
Installed windows 8.1 preview last night and after installing i get stuck at the lock screen, cant click or punch keys to log in. Since the powers that be decided to change how you boot into safe mode is my only option to format?
No Keyboard and Mouse working in Drivers & Hardware
Hello all. I've just Windows 8 on my desktop, Installation went g them perfectly and i was using the system for a few hours with no problems. I reset the machine after installing a few drivers and when the machine booted back up. The keyboard and mouse stopped working completely, I've tried...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook