Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Problems with USB 3.0 external drive

  1. #1


    Posts : 75
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview

    Problems with USB 3.0 external drive


    I have been having problems with a USB 3.0 external drive. When I reboot Windows 8, the drive is not recognized each time, and I have to remove the USB plug and re-plug it to get the drive to be recognized. After that, it works fine, but I have to do this each time I reboot.

    Anyone had a similar issue or know of a fix?

    Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Strathpine, Queensland
    Posts : 179
    Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    I have been having problems with a USB 3.0 external drive. When I reboot Windows 8, the drive is not recognized each time, and I have to remove the USB plug and re-plug it to get the drive to be recognized. After that, it works fine, but I have to do this each time I reboot.

    Anyone had a similar issue or know of a fix?

    Thanks!
    Hey Drybonz,

    I've had a similar problem with a Western Digital Passport 1TB external, where it wouldn't pick up unless you remount (unplug then replug) the cable.

    What model is yours, and does it show in Disk Management? That'll help find answers to it

    If it shows in Disk Management when you first insert it, then it could be a USB port error or a malfunction with the drive etc.

    Regards,
    CJ
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 75
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview


    [QUOTE=CeejayMode;164117]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    What model is yours, and does it show in Disk Management? That'll help find answers to it

    If it shows in Disk Management when you first insert it, then it could be a USB port error or a malfunction with the drive etc.
    Thanks for the replies.

    The drive is a Seagate GoFlex Desk model. I haven't had any problems with it previously. Upon rebooting Windows 8, it does not show in device manager. If I look in my notification tray right after rebooting, the icons are all jumping around as the device manager repeatedly tries to identify it.

    After unplugging and re-plugging the device, all is normal... and it shows in the device manager.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Strathpine, Queensland
    Posts : 179
    Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit


    [QUOTE=Drybonz;164314]
    Quote Originally Posted by CeejayMode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    What model is yours, and does it show in Disk Management? That'll help find answers to it

    If it shows in Disk Management when you first insert it, then it could be a USB port error or a malfunction with the drive etc.
    Thanks for the replies.

    The drive is a Seagate GoFlex Desk model. I haven't had any problems with it previously. Upon rebooting Windows 8, it does not show in device manager. If I look in my notification tray right after rebooting, the icons are all jumping around as the device manager repeatedly tries to identify it.

    After unplugging and re-plugging the device, all is normal... and it shows in the device manager.
    Could be a problem with device incompatibility on Windows 8, or maybe a driver error? Did it come with any software that Seagate designed for managing it? There might be extra drivers or such that may help. As far as I know though, it could be a problem with the hard drive itself, but more than likely a driver or Windows 8 compatibility problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 75
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview


    My gut tells me it's a driver issue... the drive is working perfectly once I re-plug it. I have been searching around and I have seen a couple other people mention similar issues but haven't found a solution yet. Still working on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 75
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview


    I was in touch with Gigabyte customer service today... the rep told me they will have USB 3.0 Win 8 drivers on their website soon for their H77 series motherboards (which is what I have). If anyone else happens to have this issue, you may want to look for that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 75
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview


    Decided I didn't feel like waiting for drivers from Gigabyte and cracked the external drive case open and put the drive inside my computer as an internal drive. It's working out fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Sometimes the BIOS doesn't recognize the controller or thinks its a legacy USB device !!!!. Only when you re-plug the device does windows get an interrupt for "Check Hardware" and it dynamically loads the USB3 driver.

    Go into your BIOS at boot with the USB3 device plugged in and see what the BIOS reports.

    Also make sure you have the correct USB3 drivers for your computer. Windows 8 has a basic USB3 driver but your computer should have the correct one.

    I've had this problem randomly -- but I now use a powered USB3 Hub on my laptop -- then Windows boots up just fine and recognizes the USB3 device(s) attached to the hub.

    @drybonz -- probably by putting the device INTO the computer as an internal drive the computer thinks its a SATA drive so it will work just fine provided the connections from the disk to MOBO are OK.

    However this solution while it works in your case rather loses the flexibility of having a fast external drive which you might want to attach to another machine. (USB3 devices are generally downward compatible with USB2 ports - although then they will only perform at USB2 speeds).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 07 Jan 2013 at 07:23.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 75
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    @drybonz -- probably by putting the device INTO the computer as an internal drive the computer thinks its a SATA drive so it will work just fine provided the connections from the disk to MOBO are OK.
    Thanks... yeah, it actually is a SATA drive. External USB drives are just a SATA drive and a basic SATA to USB dock in a plastic shell, for the most part.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Problems with USB 3.0 external drive
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. I have a second DVD recorder that's an IDE connection. The PC I just built doesn't have any IDE connectors and I don't want to mess with adding anything. I'd like to connect the DVD to use when needed (yes, I have SATA DVD burners in the box, but this one is a...
Hi, I have the Clevo W355SS laptop. The official site is: ??Clevo . I ordered from Logical Blue One: Logical Blue One - Horize W355SS Gaming Notebook I'm having a problem with getting external headsets to work correctly. The laptop has a mic and audio jack. The headset, Turtle Beach X12, is...
Hard drive crash enquiry My hard drive recently crashed on my desktop running XP and due to the discontinuation of support for XP, I decided to upgrade with a new motherboard, memory, hard drive etc., now running Win 8.1, which has been working fine so far. My problem is that there is...
My old PC (windows 7) died but I was able to rescue the hard drive. Bought a new PC running Win 8.1. Connected the old drive to my new Win 8 PC as an external hard drive (showing up a F: and G: - F: has win 7 system files, G: has programs and data). I am trying to use Easy Transfer to move the...
Solved external drive in Gaming
I have a wd external drive for my gaming. I have to uninstall some games on it. If I use windows control panel not all of the games are listed to uninstall. If I use the external drive where all the games are listed there is a delete option at the top of the screen. If I use the external drive to...
I have a 2TB Western Digital My Book Essentials, it's filled with tons of old photos, movies, docs, games, and I'm scared to think of what else. The SATA to USB connector broke on it, so I took the drive apart and put it inside my computer. I opened up device manager because it wasn't showing up...
External drive in Installation & Setup
I know there is no such thing as a dumb question, but I have one that might come close. Can Windows 8 be installed on an external drive via a USB cable? I have an external drive that I use for backup. If it would work, I would create a new volume on it and install on that.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook