Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How do I uninstall UxStyle safely?

  1. #11


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    Tried deleting the file Themes\Default Style\Default Style.msstyles, and I get an error saying that it's open in winlogon.exe. I deleted all of the themes in the personalize window that referenced the theme file, and I also tried rebooting. Still getting the error.

    Anyways, I deleted all the files I could that had "Default Style" in the name aside from that, and I deleted all the themes in "personalize" that referenced it. Rebooted, then disabled "run at startup" for start screen customizer (looks like it doesn't modify the registry). Next, I uninstalled classic shell followed by UxStyle, and I ran DISM again. Once that finished, I remembered that I also had Clover installed, which modifies explorer. Uninstalled that and ran DISM once more, just to be safe. Rebooted after that, still a black screen.

    If there isn't anything else I can try, what's most likely going to happen if I try upgrading to Windows 8.1? If something breaks during that, would I be able to restore back to Win8, or would I have to do a full reinstall?

    Looking back at the files, apparently I made a backup of Shell under themes\aero. It was 2012 when I did this, so I have no idea what that backup was for. Is there anywhere where I can just get a vanilla version of the themes folder and overwrite everything there with a clean version?
    Last edited by Freak472; 04 Jul 2015 at 23:38.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    If you want to install Windows 8.1, I would back up my files to a external HDD, download any drivers from manufacturers site, and clean install 8.1 (see post#4) . With the install media, you could first try upgrading by using the setup.exe, The only draw back with upgrading would be if you use refresh or reinstall you will go back to 8 and not 8.1 update, so a clean install would be better. After you get Windows 8.1 install though you should really think of installing Macrium Reflect Free to create system images. That's what I do before I start theming.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Georgia
    Posts : 110
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot


    I have gone through this time and time again, The UxTheme Patcher has never worked correctly and will almost always create havoc on your system when either installing Windows Updates or uninstalling it. I had tried everything to prevent it but nothing works, even the developers "uninstall instructions", the bottom line is it's just downright poor coding and development on the developers part.

    I am sorry to say that the only way I have found to completely rid yourself of the UxTheme Patcher and all of it's remnants is to do either a refresh or reset.

    In the future, should you decide to install third party themes again, do yourself a favor and Google UxThemeSignatureBypass, so far this is by far the best method I have found to run third party themes.

    You may also want to check out this thread here: uxtheme.dll issues. Theme unloads on reboot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    I have gone through this time and time again, The UxTheme Patcher has never worked correctly and will almost always create havoc on your system when either installing Windows Updates or uninstalling it. I had tried everything to prevent it but nothing works, even the developers "uninstall instructions", the bottom line is it's just downright poor coding and development on the developers part.

    I am sorry to say that the only way I have found to completely rid yourself of the UxTheme Patcher and all of it's remnants is to do either a refresh or reset.
    Just make a system image(Like you always should for any major changes).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Georgia
    Posts : 110
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    I have gone through this time and time again, The UxTheme Patcher has never worked correctly and will almost always create havoc on your system when either installing Windows Updates or uninstalling it. I had tried everything to prevent it but nothing works, even the developers "uninstall instructions", the bottom line is it's just downright poor coding and development on the developers part.

    I am sorry to say that the only way I have found to completely rid yourself of the UxTheme Patcher and all of it's remnants is to do either a refresh or reset.
    Just make a system image(Like you always should for any major changes).
    Actually the UxTheme Patcher was the exact reason why I have taken to using Rollback Rx. I'll never use the UxTheme Patcher ever again, it's just a sh!tty patcher with sh!tty coding.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    So if I want to go through with a reinstall, will the "Refresh your PC" feature work, or am I going to have to completely reinstall everything?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Georgia
    Posts : 110
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot


    Quote Originally Posted by Freak472 View Post
    So if I want to go through with a reinstall, will the "Refresh your PC" feature work, or am I going to have to completely reinstall everything?
    A refresh should do it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Or if you have install media a Repair install should repair windows with out loosing all your installed software.

    Repair Install Windows 8 How to Repair Install Windows 8 and 8.1 without Losing Anything
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    If I get a black screen with a repair, will a system restore work, or is it not possible to do a restore after running a repair? What about for a refresh?

    Edit: Also, from one of the guides on doing a repair install:
    You must have at least 8.87 GB + what is currently being used of free space on the hard drive/partition that Windows 8 is installed on. You may need more if you have a larger installation.
    My C: drive has 24 GB free of 223 GB - if I'm interpreting these instructions correctly, does this mean that I will need to clean up something like 100 GB of files?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Using the Windows 8 recovery disk(you made one right?) try automatic boot repair. If that doesn't work, try repairing the Windows Boot manager: LINK.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do I uninstall UxStyle safely?
Related Threads
Hi guys, Recently I have re-installed my windows.So then I also installed UxStyle with all my Windows files in original format. No patching has been done yet. After I installed UxStyle, I rebooted and then applied theme it worked very well no problem at all. But the next time I turned on my...
I've recently played around with a lot of the awesome themes over at DeviantArt (currently I have Valley by link6155 on DeviantArt installed), but I was interested in potentially making my own themepack and how to go about making a themepack which can be used with UxStyle which changes things like...
When I try to install UxStyle on my HP Stream 7 tablet, I get the error: "Uh oh, something went wrong." Is there really no other way in the universe to enable custom themes? The debug log says the following: i001: Burn v3.8.826.0, Windows v6.2 (Build 9200: Service Pack 0), path:...
Cant install uxstyle in Customization
I have a windows 8.1 tablet (x86) and cant install uxstyle on it. I've tried to disable UAC, run with administrator rights as well running it from the hidden administrator account. It's just says "uh oh, something went wrong". I also tried to install windows 10 version, but got the same result....
DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT uxstyle.sys in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hey EightForums! I recently restarted my computer after changing my computer name and uninstalling programs, etc. I was and am always afraid of restarting it because Samsungs pre-installed software, SW Update, tells me to update my BIOS. I already tried it twice, and sent it in twice. Now I have...
Cannot safely eject in Drivers & Hardware
Hello I have a 1T external hard drive. After I copy to it I do not receive the option to safely eject it even though I've ensured all pages and applications are closed. Thanks if you can help.
Hello, So I installed the Windows 8.1 update today and installed the latest version of UxStyle. It seemed to work, but after a restart, I logged in and the UI was gone! I can still open the Task Manager and open programs though. What can I do to fix this? Please respond quickly :D Regards,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook