Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Start Menu - will it ever be fully customizable?

  1. #1


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1

    Start Menu - will it ever be fully customizable?


    So, I just saw some leaks from W8RC. Well, I'm a little afraid, that except for some small things, there will be no major changes to the whole Start Menu concept.
    I just wonder, is it possible, that someday there will be an application that will allow to fully customize Start? For example, like in this concept:


    I know, it will be probably impossible to change the color of the live tiles. But what about folders and files? And also, the background - it looks way better than those from MS. I know, there is that app for W8CP that basically does the same, still though it's a bit buggy and it leaves that stripe in the middle.

    Do you have any info, if MS blocked all the ways of modification? Or we just need some "Theme Changer" app or Rainmeter for Metro and everything will be just fine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windows_8_concept_by_pedrocasoa-d42gjcu.jpg  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    There are already some utilities available, for customising various parts of the Metro Interface, although some people have had problems with these. I'd imagine going forward, there'll be a whole slew of start menu replacers and customisation utilities, for every aspect of the OS
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    I don't see why people are so worried about the missing start button/menu? You actually have it already, just have to find it. It is quite simple to find it, just hoover your mouse over the lower left corner of your Metro screen, right click and viola there it is.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 158
    Windows 7


    You are basically saying - "What do you mean you don't have a car? What about that nice canoe over there?"

    The main purpose of the start menu is to launch applications. The Win+X menu can only start a few select programs, and has limited customizability. It is a far cry from a proper start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Outside of the design, tell me how it differs that much from the old style Windows menu.
    1) Win+X menu - Programs & Features - - Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Add/Remove Programs = Tie.
    2) Win+X menu - Device Manager -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Device Manager = Tie.
    3) Win+X menu - System -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - System = Tie.
    4) Win+X menu - Network Connections -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Network Connections = Tie.
    5) Win+X menu - Disk Management -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Disk Management = Tie.
    I can continue, but I think you get the gist of where I am going. Outside of aesthetics doesn't differ that much from the traditional Start Button Menu.
    Last edited by Mike Lonewolf; 18 May 2012 at 13:06.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 158
    Windows 7


    I may be wrong (I don't have a Win8 in front of me right now), but isn't Programs & Features just a list of installed programs that you can uninstall? That's what it is on Vista and Win8. If so, you can't launch programs from there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Quote Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
    I may be wrong (I don't have a Win8 in front of me right now), but isn't Programs & Features just a list of installed programs that you can uninstall? That's what it is on Vista and Win8. If so, you can't launch programs from there.
    You're right, I meant to say it is the Windows 95 thru Windows 7 Add/Remove. It has been corrected.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Hi Mike

    Windows 7 (maybe Vista also) had the fewest mouse strokes, mouse clicks to perform your preferred shut down action.
    I hope that some people at MS will stay focused on the desktop/laptop users and not only on phones and tablets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    Outside of the design, tell me how it differs that much from the old style Windows menu.
    1) Win+X menu - Programs & Features - - Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Add/Remove Programs = Tie.
    2) Win+X menu - Device Manager -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Device Manager = Tie.
    3) Win+X menu - System -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - System = Tie.
    4) Win+X menu - Network Connections -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Network Connections = Tie.
    5) Win+X menu - Disk Management -- Win 95 thru Win 7 menu - Disk Management = Tie.
    I can continue, but I think you get the gist of where I am going. Outside of aesthetics doesn't differ that much from the traditional Start Button Menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Hi Mike

    This just isn't true!!! You don't get the same options as in Win 7.
    Shame on you!
    Why do you seem to be defending Win 8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    I don't see why people are so worried about the missing start button/menu? You actually have it already, just have to find it. It is quite simple to find it, just hoover your mouse over the lower left corner of your Metro screen, right click and viola there it is.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts : 76
    Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by FlemmingK View Post
    Hi Mike

    This just isn't true!!! You don't get the same options as in Win 7.
    Shame on you!
    Why do you seem to be defending Win 8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    I don't see why people are so worried about the missing start button/menu? You actually have it already, just have to find it. It is quite simple to find it, just hoover your mouse over the lower left corner of your Metro screen, right click and viola there it is.

    Click image for larger version
    Well...Mr. FlemmingK,

    Looks like the beginning of a flamefest here! Let's go get a cup of tea and let's relax.

    Let's look at this from the perspective of all Windows iterations. With each new version more and more of the "dangerous" commands have been hidden from the average user, for good reason. The right click system menu (WIN+X) Mike has shown is very similar to what is available in right side of the Win 7 Start Menu, and maybe more. You should find most of these commands under "Computer" and "Control Panel" in 7.

    As to the Start Menu, it is now the Start Screen in three different views...No folded folders view! First, you have the view above. Second, if you right click an empty area and caress the All apps button on the bottom popup bar, you will have a fully expanded and scrollable view of every app and program installed on your system. This view includes all the Window's apps and programs you may be familiar with from previous versions. You may also add Admin items (dangerous!) using the Settings button in the Charms Bar. Third, from the main Start Screen click on the little box in the lower right hand corner. You will get a zoomed view of Start and this is where you can name your groups (columns).

    Right clicking and it's touch equivalent will open up a whole new side of Win 8 that is hidden at first blush.

    Yes, like Mike, and many others here, I'm defending 8. I have used it as my primary OS for nearly 2 months now, and have enjoyed it. Many of the new mouse moves have become second nature. I'm waiting with bated breath for the Release Preview to come out. That version is supposed to fix some of the mousing and touch quirks that many of us have noticed. The Store apps will no longer show "App Preview" and should work the way we would like them to.

    Just yesterday I moved back to Win 7 until the next release. I found myself a bit lost at first, as I had gotten so used to Consumer Preview. Sheesh!!!


    John
    Last edited by JCClouser; 18 May 2012 at 18:17.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Start Menu - will it ever be fully customizable?
Related Threads
Start menu not fully viewable in General Support
Hi Have spent some time looking online but can not seem to find an answer to this one. I'm sure it is probably something I have done, but I have no idea how to undo it. My start menu in 8.1 seems to be stuck and I can only view a view applications. They then disappear off screen and I can not...
I actually have no beef with the Win 8.1 Start menu, but the colors of the regular desktop environment are killing me. Namely, the weird, off-off white of the menus. The High-Contrast White option under Personalization gives me the right color for the menu backgrounds but everything else about the...
Im referring to this bottom menu; 43692 when I right click my app/programs, nothing pops up below. I also cant rearrange tiles, groups and stuff. Any help. Thanks
Source: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/29/mozilla-introduces-the-most-customizable-firefox-ever-with-an-elegant-new-design/
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Hi All, I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it. Any ideas? My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/Capture.png Others' Menu:...
Today I found a good solution to the start menu problem in windows 8. Aston menu worked fine and very good and returned the familiar customized XP look and feel I Changed the program Icon and pinned it to task-bar and moved it to the extreme left you can try it for 30...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook