Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Post your Start Screen!

  1. #761


    Posts : 66
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by larkoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Very nice, Collin.

    Same background on your Desktop app?
    Yes but they alternate. I have 1,252 Anime wallpapers that switch every 10 minutes.
    wow that is a lot of wallpapers
    And it is ever growing. You should see my Anime folder in general.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #762


    Cross Plains
    Posts : 255
    Windows 10 Pro


    Mine. Nothing special. I dont use it at all. I use what would be the new start menu screen.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #763


    Cross Plains
    Posts : 255
    Windows 10 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Collin2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larkoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin2012 View Post

    Yes but they alternate. I have 1,252 Anime wallpapers that switch every 10 minutes.
    wow that is a lot of wallpapers
    And it is ever growing. You should see my Anime folder in general.
    You sound like me, Collin. I have probably 10 seperate folders of Anime series right now. Had more before the HDD in my desktop died.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #764


    Posts : 66
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by ArazelEternal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larkoth View Post

    wow that is a lot of wallpapers
    And it is ever growing. You should see my Anime folder in general.
    You sound like me, Collin. I have probably 10 seperate folders of Anime series right now. Had more before the HDD in my desktop died.
    I have quite a bit of Anime

    InuYasha, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Haganai (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai), Wolf Children (Movie)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #765


    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Far out, mdmd! I like that. Is that Oblytile? Different font, colors, and shadows to boot.

    That's nice spread across 3 monitors, Dude.

    Looking good, arachaut, but what does touch have to do with the Start Screen other than being scaled to the human finger?
    I just prefer a hierarchical menu layout to find my stuff. No matter how I fit them, they won't appear on the 1920x1080 start screen so I'd be constantly scrolling to find them.

    I find the Classic Start Menu on the Desktop far superior for the way I work.

    Touch interfaces require a rather large contact area compared to a mouse target.

    I'd probably prefer Windows 'Voice', but it's not here yet.
    Not the only reason they are a larger scale. It is also for live tiles, which are great for communicating at-a-glance information.

    We also have this:

    Attachment 40699

    Yes, I know.

    Here's what that looks like for me.

    This is just the 'N' named entries. The whole thing scrolls forever. Totally useless and takes too long to edit.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #766


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by arachnaut View Post
    The whole thing scrolls forever. Totally useless and takes too long to edit.
    Hello there. Your screenshot is interesting. A desktop menu would probably sort this out better, perhaps, as far as a preference goes. Could I add however, most people take a great deal of time to edit, customize and configure their desktop menu. Your referenced installation could easily be cleaned up by moving the pdfs to a documents folder with a wildcard move and out of the apps view. If some pdfs have identical filenames, then that is an installer issue from the developer.

    One could pin your most used (executables) to the desktop, taskbar or start screen.

    Have you tried "Ctrl -" or Ctrl Minus when in the apps screen?
    Semantic zooming Ctrl - or the minus (bottom right corner), or Ctrl Scroll Wheel, can reduce scrolling to almost none or equal to or less than that necessary to access a desktop hierarchy or toolbar.

    Click image for larger version

    For anyone interested, you could also change the apps screen sort to by most used instead of by name.

    Click image for larger version

    We've been going on about this for 2 years, so whatever works best, how you prefer, just a thought.
    So my point was to offer another view, and also to suggest that to easily dismiss the apps view as scrolling forever and totally useless is just a point of view.

    In your screenshot, from your entire apps screen, all one need do is pin what you use everyday, forget the rest.
    It is easy to have 100 installations and use only 7 or 8 programs daily.
    You could also, when at the apps screen, type a few letters and a list of programs should appear.

    Just to finish, I would like to counter that the Windows 8 default menu works well if you like it.
    If not, well, it will never be any good.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #767


    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    ...

    In your screenshot, from your entire apps screen, all one need do is pin what you use everyday, forget the rest.
    It is easy to have 100 installations and use only 7 or 8 programs daily.
    You could also, when at the apps screen, type a few letters and a list of programs should appear.

    Just to finish, I would like to counter that the Windows 8 default menu works well if you like it.
    If not, well, it will never be any good.
    When I set it to show Most used - in the 'Never Used' are things I use a lot. I don't know how it tracks usage, but it doesn't seem to work for the way I use programs.

    Anyway, what I do is make a Desktop 'Toolbar' for my frequently used stuff - by category. I have three such toolbars.

    For example, my music application toolbar menu looks like this:

    Click image for larger version

    I give the toolbar folder a single Unicode character so it is mnemonic and small.

    No doubt, I could work something out in the Start screen, but I'm too lazy. I've been using stuff like this for ages and see no need to set up the Start screen other than for aesthetic reasons, I always 'start' on the Desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #768


    Hmmmm...this is what my start screen looks like on my computer these days.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #769


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Hmmmm...this is what my start screen looks like on my computer these days.
    Nice ipad!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #770


    Quote Originally Posted by arachnaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    ...

    In your screenshot, from your entire apps screen, all one need do is pin what you use everyday, forget the rest.
    It is easy to have 100 installations and use only 7 or 8 programs daily.
    You could also, when at the apps screen, type a few letters and a list of programs should appear.

    Just to finish, I would like to counter that the Windows 8 default menu works well if you like it.
    If not, well, it will never be any good.
    When I set it to show Most used - in the 'Never Used' are things I use a lot. I don't know how it tracks usage, but it doesn't seem to work for the way I use programs.

    Anyway, what I do is make a Desktop 'Toolbar' for my frequently used stuff - by category. I have three such toolbars.

    For example, my music application toolbar menu looks like this:

    Click image for larger version

    I give the toolbar folder a single Unicode character so it is mnemonic and small.

    No doubt, I could work something out in the Start screen, but I'm too lazy. I've been using stuff like this for ages and see no need to set up the Start screen other than for aesthetic reasons, I always 'start' on the Desktop.
    Jim, I think you to be an above average user within the fact that you have so many programs and files. With looking at your personal website and your Google+ page you are also above average within the fact of multiple interests. You also have 6 HDs with a total of 12TBs listed in your specs. Yeow! As mdmd pointed out of what we can see in your screenshot, until your pdfs are moved to a documents folder, 8 “More Documentation” folders I see are placed in a parent, and heaven knows what else, of course your All Apps will scroll forever.

    I would think you would have to organize your computer(s) much like a business with a server and databases. Unless one has a photographic memory there’s no way in the world anyone could remember all that. Perhaps you have one.

    By no means am I trying to be rude or mock you, but you are being sly in showing your small folder toolbar in comparison to your All Apps screen. Where are all your PDFs and other folders? You must have to cascade a menu off your screen at times to find items unless you’re using File Explorer search to find things. Even then you would have to remember what is on each drive, otherwise a search in This PC would take 2 light years.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Post your Start Screen!
Related Threads
Just purchased a laptop for the wife with windows 8.1 & trying to understand it I set up live mail 2012 as her email service & pinned it to the taskbar. But when she clicks the mail tile from the start screen it ask for an account & does not start the correct program. The same is true of IE...
My first real problem with win 8.1. Problem Defined. I have a shortcut on my desktop. The same shortcut key on my desktop task bar. The shortcut when activated loads the windows 8.1 start screen where my tiles are. The default DPI in this windows 8.1 is 125%. I changed the resolution to...
Set to Show "Start" or "Apps" View when Opening Start Screen in Windows 8.1 The Start screen is a new feature in Windows 8 and Windows RT that replaces the Start Menu from previous Windows. You can pin Store apps, programs, folders, drives, files, contacts, and websites to Start to quickly...
Nokia interviews people on their Windows Phone start-screens and why they use the Applications they see first (My Windows Phone 8 Start screen: Rv Cuarto – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog) I though of building a thread on this web-site heavily inspired by ...
Post your Start Screen! in Customization
You know the drill, Win key + PrintScreen. 6531
hi guys, i recently run into a problem of windows 8 on my laptop its the latest stable release ... the on sold with your laptops when i start up the system... nothing happens ... its just blank screen no words like...pres F2 for bios options etc just blank idk what happened it just happen like...
Hi, I have successfully managed to upgrade, add a shutdown tile on the start screen, add a classic start on the desktop screen and get the right tiles on my desktop and remove the initial screen. I have a usable OS on my laptop again and it may sound strange but I like both interfaces and use...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook