Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How can I add 'Any Folder' to the windows context menu

  1. #1


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1

    How can I add 'Any Folder' to the windows context menu


    When I used windows XP Microsoft made available some very useful tweaks called 'Powertoys'.
    One of those tweaks was called 'Send To'. This added 'Any Folder' to the right click context menu which allowed you to browse to the exact location you wanted to copy or move a file or folder to.

    For example...
    With the standard Windows 8 right click context menu you are given an option to send to 'Documents' but this does not allow you to send the file to a specific folder within 'Documents'

    Does anyone know how this useful 'Any Folder' feature can be created in the windows 8 context menu.

    Hope this all makes sense...

    Thanks

    Jan

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Jan,

    For this, "Copy To Folder" and "Move To Folder" on the context menu may work best for you.

    Context Menu - Add Copy To Folder and Move To Folder - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Hi Brink, Thanks for the suggestion...I will check it out and get back...

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    So, are you wanting to add a specific folder to the Send To context menu?

    Send To Context Menu

    C:\Users\<Your Profile>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Create a Shortcut to the folder you want.

    Right click any file and Send To that shortcut. Done.
    This does not move, only copies.

    If you want a move to a specific folder, I will have to research that a bit and see what can be done.
    What Brink provided is a good tweak to have as well.

    EDIT:

    Ok, the following will move a file from where you right click it to a specific folder
    The caveat to this is,, Undo Move will not work (ie, CTRL+Z or Undo Move)
    I am working on folders, but this is not working out at the moment.

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Test1]
    "Icon"="shell32.dll,-16763"
    "Position"="Bottom"
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Test1\command]
    @="cmd /c move /Y \"%1%\" C:\\Users\\YOUR PROFILE\\Documents\\Test"

    I have gotten it to move all files in a folder to that Test folder when right clicking on a selected folder, but can't get it to create the directory structure of the target. This may require a script and a rightclick context menu to that script,., PowerShell or VB.

    still working on it.
    Last edited by Tepid; 31 Aug 2013 at 17:01.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Jan,

    For this, "Copy To Folder" and "Move To Folder" on the context menu may work best for you.

    Context Menu - Add Copy To Folder and Move To Folder - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

    Hi Shawn, I have done what you suggest and it works fine...I am happy with this...

    Pity Microsoft don't do a set of Power Toys for Windows 8...there were a lot of very useful tweaks...

    Many thanks

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    So, are you wanting to add a specific folder to the Send To context menu?

    Send To Context Menu

    C:\Users\<Your Profile>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Create a Shortcut to the folder you want.

    Right click any file and Send To that shortcut. Done.
    This does not move, only copies.

    If you want a move to a specific folder, I will have to research that a bit and see what can be done.
    What Brink provided is a good tweak to have as well.

    EDIT:

    Ok, the following will move a file from where you right click it to a specific folder
    The caveat to this is,, Undo Move will not work (ie, CTRL+Z or Undo Move)
    I am working on folders, but this is not working out at the moment.

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Test1]
    "Icon"="shell32.dll,-16763"
    "Position"="Bottom"
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Test1\command]
    @="cmd /c move /Y \"%1%\" C:\\Users\\YOUR PROFILE\\Documents\\Test"

    I have gotten it to move all files in a folder to that Test folder when right clicking on a selected folder, but can't get it to create the directory structure of the target. This may require a script and a rightclick context menu to that script,., PowerShell or VB.

    still working on it.
    Hi Tepid, Thanks you for your input... I was looking for a way to have a link in the right click context menu that would allow you to send or copy to any folder...like the 'Send To' option in Windows Power Toys that I used to have on my XP Laptop.
    Brinks suggestion works almost the same way and I am happy to use that method.

    Thanks for trying to help...if you do find a workable solution please post back.

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Try this.... select the thing you want to Send To, then hold the Shift key down as you right-click.

    You'll get some extra folders in the Send To menu
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    You're most welcome Jan. I'm happy that'll work for you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Try this.... select the thing you want to Send To, then hold the Shift key down as you right-click.

    You'll get some extra folders in the Send To menu
    Thank you for that...You learn something new every day...

    Regards

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 7
    Win8 Pro Media Center


    Re the "Send To Any Folder" issue

    I thought this haad been resolved. The old "SendTo" works in Windows 8.1 Pro - I just verified that.

    SEND TO TOYS v2.70
    Freeware
    Works with: 95 / 98 / Me / NT / 2k / XP / 2k3 Server / Vista / Win 7 / 2008 Server / Win 8 / Win 8.1
    :: gabrieleponti.com ::
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How can I add 'Any Folder' to the windows context menu
Related Threads
Add "Delete Files in Folder" and "Empty Folder" to Context Menu of Folders in Windows This tutorial will show you how to add or remove "Delete Files in Folder" and "Empty Folder" to the context menu of folders for all users in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. While you must be signed in as...
How to Add "Take Ownership" to Context Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to add Take Ownership to the context menu of all files, folders, and drives for all users in Windows 8. This will allow you to be able to instantly take ownership of a file, folder (and all...
I have uninstalled windrar and now want to use default windows 8 zip facility. When I am right clicking on a folder and go to "send to" then I am not seeing "compressed zip folder" option. I have few files which are already in zip format, When I am righ clicking on that and select "open with"...
Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 and I'd like to add to the MAIN menu of context menu (just right-clicking) the options to create a New Folder and a New Text Document. Right now I have to go to the "New" option and then select Folder or Text Document. Thanks! :party:
Windows 8 Context Menu Slow in Performance & Maintenance
Whenever I right click on desktop the menu appears to be slow when compared to my previous C2D machine. So deleted "igfxcui" key from the Shell Context Menu which was located in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers Is there any issue due to the deletion in future use?...
Hi All, I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it. Any ideas? My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/Capture.png Others' Menu:...
In reference to this thread here: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8450-windows-defender-cascading-desktop-context-menu-create-windows-8-a.html Is there a way to get a context menu to scan individual files and/or folders like MSE does in Windows 7 and prior?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook