Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How Can I Force Snipping Tool in Win8 to act like Vista/7?

  1. #31


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1


    What I did is assign a shortcut key to the Snipping Tool. Open explorer to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories and right-click "Snipping Tool" and click "Properties". Click the "Shortcut key" field and enter a shorcut key combination. I use Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S. Be cautious as to which combo to use since some are used for a specific function in the active application. For example, I read one recommendation to use Ctrl + Shift + 4 (as in Mac OS X) but I know that in MS Excel it is used to format a cell in the currency format.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by renatog View Post
    What I did is assign a shortcut key to the Snipping Tool. Open explorer to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories and right-click "Snipping Tool" and click "Properties". Click the "Shortcut key" field and enter a shorcut key combination. I use Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S. Be cautious as to which combo to use since some are used for a specific function in the active application. For example, I read one recommendation to use Ctrl + Shift + 4 (as in Mac OS X) but I know that in MS Excel it is used to format a cell in the currency format.
    You might be better off starting a new thread rather than resurrecting one from years in the past. OSX uses command + shift + 4 anyway, not ctrl + shift + 4
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I didn't read all the posts.
    I get the impression you want screenshots.

    I use the desktop app of Post Image.
    A link to it is in my signature.

    There is a free version & a paid version.
    I use the paid version.
    Just my choice.
    It doesn't cost much.

    It makes taking screenshots very easy.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    For the forum .jpg works best---

    Click image for larger version



    It takes getting used to, but is easy to learn how to use it.
    I just played with it until I got familiar with it.
    I make lots of screenshots.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Toronto, Canada. Born in the U.K.
    Posts : 691
    Win 10 Pro + Win 7 Ult SP1 (x64)


    McAfee SiteAdvisor labels PostImage download as possibly dangerous. The software writer perhaps needs to use a different downloader than Softpedia.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
    McAfee SiteAdvisor labels PostImage download as possibly dangerous. The software writer perhaps needs to use a different downloader than Softpedia.
    I've been using it for a couple of years now with no bad things happening.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version

    Screenshot made with PostImage.

    edit---

    After installing the site advisor---

    Click image for larger version

    All green checks---

    Click image for larger version

    Now the main screenshot---

    Click image for larger version
    Last edited by David Bailey; 26 Jan 2015 at 11:01.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Toronto, Canada. Born in the U.K.
    Posts : 691
    Win 10 Pro + Win 7 Ult SP1 (x64)


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
    McAfee SiteAdvisor labels PostImage download as possibly dangerous. The software writer perhaps needs to use a different downloader than Softpedia.
    I've been using it for a couple of years now with no bad things happening.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version

    Screenshot made with PostImage.
    Yes, I took your recommendation and downloaded it. It appears to be a useful tool I must say, sort of Snipping Tool on Steroids, but I haven't yet fathomed out how to get the Text thing to actually place text on the clip.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I haven't yet fathomed out how to get the Text thing to actually place text on the clip.
    Pictures---

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Toronto, Canada. Born in the U.K.
    Posts : 691
    Win 10 Pro + Win 7 Ult SP1 (x64)


    Thanks. Obviously I need to practice...!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
    Thanks. Obviously I need to practice...!
    It just takes a little practice.
    Not hard to learn.
    Good UI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
How Can I Force Snipping Tool in Win8 to act like Vista/7?
Related Threads
I have this problem sometimes but not all the time. It did it to me again just now. I use the snipping tool to get a screenshot and save it to my desktop but it never appears on my desktop? I do another snip and save it to my desktop and it says "capture already exists" - but its not on my...
Hi all, last time I actually logged in here was on Vista forums, thanks for keeping my login! I actually jumped over 7 directly from Vista into 8... Setting up a new machine. I'll have a few questions, this one's probably easy to answer: In Vista, the Snip tool started immediately with a...
I am using a browser that starts up automatically in Metro. When I want to get a copy of the screen I end up going back to the Metro screen to start up the snipping tool and it opens in the Desktop, but I need it in the Metro area to get a copy of my screen in the browser. I have had to resort to...
Snipping Tool, Steps Recorder in Performance & Maintenance
Hi all, I'm running Windows 8 on a new Toshiba Satellite laptop. Every time I try to use the snipping tool, the steps recorder or the sound recorder it reverts from the screen I have open to the desktop screen. Even the print screen key doesn't work, even if I press it in conjunction with ALT,...
Solved Snipping tool location in Customization
In case anybody is wondering where the snipping tool is hiding in WCP you can find it here. Once found you can pin it to the task bar. :)
snipping tool fun.. in Chillout Room
Heh..manged that screenshot with the snipping tool. 1708
Snipping Tool in Software and Apps
Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble accessing the Snipping Tool from the new Metro Start? I seem to be able to click on it, but then nothing happens... I've resorted to making a desktop shortcut for now, but was wondering if anyone had the issue fixed.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook