Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How do you change the font color in Win8?

  1. #1


    Posts : 101
    Windows 8.1 64-bit

    How do you change the font color in Win8?


    How do you change the font color? I can barely see the text with a black window.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Which window is black ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 101
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Which window is black ?
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I couldn't find a way.
    I use a light colored bar so I can read the black text.
    Sorry I couldn't help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Click image for larger version

    A lighter bar would help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 101
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Click image for larger version

    A lighter bar would help.
    So there is absolutely no way to change the colors? No hacks or anything?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by TimeAndroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Click image for larger version

    A lighter bar would help.
    So there is absolutely no way to change the colors? No hacks or anything?
    None that I know of.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Hello TimeAndroid,

    The default Windows 8 theme we're using doesn't really have the highlight shadow we're used to in Vista and 7.

    I've added something a while back in this section, since the threads got older they are found back in the archives...
    No worries, I've added the link.

    There is a tweak however: change the text color if you like the black border to stay:
    Windows 8 Desktop UI - Change Title Text Color?


    It doesn't work for Explorer folders or some Control Panel stuff (keeps default colors) but it works with all other programs.
    For your screenshot above... Explorer: no fix, just change the black to something else...

    Another approach: use the theme from win8 RP, no patchin is needed if the file is original from disk.
    The theme from Win8 RP works on the RTM and the text is visible on dark there.
    I've got the files from an older RP disk I used but you can take a look here:
    Windows 8 Release Preview theme for Windows 8 RTM | Winaero

    You use that and keep your dark color and you should see this:

    Click image for larger version

    This is a reference from "Dark theme for Windows8 RTM" by ~Nighthawk-F22 (on Deviantart) but the RP theme provides the same effect but I couldn't provide a decent picture of it. The RP theme doesn't need patching of system files and should work out of the box if files are placed properly that's why I prefer it above others. Use what you like.

    That's basically all.

    Related links:
    Change taskbar opacity
    Desktop icons not lining up with right side of screen.

    Cheers
    Hopachi
    Last edited by Hopachi; 15 May 2013 at 10:00. Reason: corrected some text
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 101
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Hello TimeAndroid,

    The default Windows 8 theme we're using doesn't really have the highlight shadow we're used to in Vista and 7.

    I've added something a while back in this section, since the threads got older they are found back in the archives...
    No worries, I've added the link.

    There is a tweak however: change the text color if you like the black border to stay:
    Windows 8 Desktop UI - Change Title Text Color?


    It doesn't work for Explorer folders or some Control Panel stuff (keeps default colors) but it works with all other programs.
    For your screenshot above... Explorer: no fix, just change the black to something else...

    Another approach: use the theme from win8 RP, no patchin is needed if the file is original from disk.
    The theme from Win8 RP works on the RTM and the text is visible on dark there.
    I've got the files from an older RP disk I used but you can take a look here:
    Windows 8 Release Preview theme for Windows 8 RTM | Winaero

    You use that and keep your dark color and you should see this:

    Click image for larger version

    This is a reference from "Dark theme for Windows8 RTM" by ~Nighthawk-F22 (on Deviantart) but the RP theme provides the same effect but I couldn't provide a decent picture of it. The RP theme doesn't need patching of system files and should work out of the box if files are placed properly that's why I prefer it above others. Use what you like.

    That's basically all.

    Related links:
    Change taskbar opacity
    Desktop icons not lining up with right side of screen.

    Cheers
    Hopachi
    Anyway to edit that theme so the font color is 51 181 229? Also, does UxStyle work? If so, how do you use it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by TimeAndroid View Post
    Anyway to edit that theme so the font color is 51 181 229?
    What theme? You can edit theme files (*.theme), original ones using AeroLite and High Contrast or 3rd party themes which require patching of system files... but default aero themes don't apply color changes.

    See here more themes that use changed font colors:
    Special Themes (AeroLite and High Contrast variations)

    Also, does UxStyle work? If so, how do you use it?
    Never tried it before. Sorry. It says Win8 experimental so that should work but since I use original themes I cannot guarantee this works.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you change the font color in Win8?
Related Threads
White background on everything is atrocious. It is hard on the eyes. What happened to the color options? Changing window border color is merely complementary. The main issue is the horrendous state the other 90% of the screen is stuck in. I demand an explanation for this. I demand an...
The title says is all. :) I'm sure there must be a way to do this. Right now the color (white) blends in way too much with everything else on the page, so that it is very difficult to even see the category titles.
Hi, I'm wondering it would be cool to change the default background color to Black of OS list screen at start up of Windows 8.1. 41352 Is it possible?
Can I change hardware and improve font rendering in Windows 8? Text on Windows 8 looks pretty awful on my hardware. I'm using an Nvidia 550ti card and a Dell U2410 monitor. Text, in browsers and in the Windows GUI, is spindly, pixellated, and headache-inducing. Evidence? Look at msn.com in IE10...
Hello, Does someone know of a way to change the color of fonts in the taskbar/titlebar? I'd like to use darker colors for the taskbar and titlebar, but with the black font, it is not so readable. I've poked around a bit, but can't find any info for Windows 8, only Windows 7. TIA...
I figure there must be a way, but damned if I can find it. Right now, they're white. I'd like them to be black, painted black..... Talking desktop mode, of course. Thanks.
How can I change the font color on menus ? There is only a menü for resize.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook