Interesting information on themes.
BTW, I solved my XP issue by copying the GIMP user folder to the "All Users" profile.
But it did the trick in one of my XP VM's.
By the way I upgraded to Gimp 2.8.10 and added some extra plugins.
The Skydrive link in first post is fixed.
What is a bit harder in general is if you upgrade your GIMP to a newer version and you need to keep your extra plugins intact and working. Luckily most of the plugins work but sometimes we may encounter some loading issues, missing dll, etc...
Upgrade keeping custom plugins workaround:
- First uninstall the version you want to remove. Use the uninstaller: it will remove only what it had installed and it will keep your added files in place.
- Go to Program Files / Install folder and you'll still find all your added plugins and files.
- Backup your install files from program folder and then remove them from install install folder to make room for a clean install.
- Install the newer version of GIMP
- Then add your files from backup
- Some plugins might fail to load if dll's are missing or are updated to newer version (plugin dependencies). Try to get a newer version of those plugins, get the older needed dll back (from previous gimp version: but is not always possible) or just remove the non-working plugin.
Well, since I've upgraded to GIMP 2.8.10 x64 Partha's version* (Partha's Place) I needed to add the themes to: Gimp-2.8\share\gimp\2.0\themes otherwise the manual method wouldn't work.
But it works this way.
@lehnerus2000, using the preferences menu is the proper way to do it.
*has more plugins installed
Moving all my plugins wasn't so easy, but was worth it.
Extra engines and binaries are also placed in 'frameworks' instead of 'bin' and in 'frameworks\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines' instead of 'lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines' respectively.
By the way, with all the extra engines loaded, you're free to create and try new themes based on your favorite engine, for instance another one of mine running on Crux like:
Thanks (once again) Hopachi.
I tried to download themes gimp 2.8 64-bit but are deleted, you can put a new link?