Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My recycle bin icon won't refresh automatically.

  1. #31


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    My eye sight is poor.
    My apologies.
    Write as you feel is better. As long as we understand each other that more important.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    My eye sight is poor.
    My apologies.
    Write as you feel is better. As long as we understand each other that more important.
    I belong to a yahoo group comprised of mainly older people.
    Their posts sometimes use HUGE text.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Good to know.

    If you somehow don't like the dll method because you got it working through registry, you can also get the icons I used as standalone ICO files if you like.

    I posted them in attachment.
    My recycle bin icon won't refresh automatically. Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Good to know.

    If you somehow don't like the dll method because you got it working through registry, you can also get the icons I used as standalone ICO files if you like.

    I posted them in attachment.
    Thanks for your efforts.
    I really appreciate it.
    I bought Microangelo tool set.
    Nice.
    See attached image.

    This may appear better-- http://i48.tinypic.com/2yuhdl4.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    No problem!

    Nice program!

    Well that's how it's usually done: many (layers) in one icon.

    If you open one of the original ones in Win7/8 you'll see something similar, and the biggest is 256x256.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    No problem!

    Nice program!

    Well that's how it's usually done: many (layers) in one icon.

    If you open one of the original ones in Win7/8 you'll see something similar, and the biggest is 256x256.
    One nice thing about Microangelo is I don't need to create a dll file to add icons to.
    I can use an existing dll & simply add an icon I made.
    Depending on what the icon is for, I need to check the existing icon properties to find out what sizes & colors to use in mine.
    Pretty simple!

    I lack the knowledge to create .dll files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    No problem!

    Nice program!

    Well that's how it's usually done: many (layers) in one icon.

    If you open one of the original ones in Win7/8 you'll see something similar, and the biggest is 256x256.
    One nice thing about Microangelo is I don't need to create a dll file to add icons to.
    I can use an existing dll & simply add an icon I made.
    Depending on what the icon is for, I need to check the existing icon properties to find out what sizes & colors to use in mine.
    Pretty simple!

    I lack the knowledge to create .dll files.
    Creating a new dll was JUST for demonstration and ease of use.

    Yes of course I can modify any existing dll as well, BUT it's not recommended that you modify some system dll, in case it can go wrong.

    I know some basics, but to create a new or basic one: not exactly, I just needed to search for the info online.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    No problem!

    Nice program!

    Well that's how it's usually done: many (layers) in one icon.

    If you open one of the original ones in Win7/8 you'll see something similar, and the biggest is 256x256.
    One nice thing about Microangelo is I don't need to create a dll file to add icons to.
    I can use an existing dll & simply add an icon I made.
    Depending on what the icon is for, I need to check the existing icon properties to find out what sizes & colors to use in mine.
    Pretty simple!

    I lack the knowledge to create .dll files.
    Creating a new dll was JUST for demonstration and ease of use.

    Yes of course I can modify any existing dll as well, BUT it's not recommended that you modify some system dll, in case it can go wrong.

    I know some basics, but to create a new or basic one: not exactly, I just needed to search for the info online.
    I don't use ORIGINAL dll's.

    I download or COPY a dll & put it in a folder to itself.
    No messing around with existing windows dlls.
    I copied shell32.dll & renamed it so there would be no conflict withe the original.
    I renamed it My_own.dll.

    See picture- http://i46.tinypic.com/ouqd1j.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    I download or COPY a dll & put it in a folder to itself.
    No messing around with existing windows dlls.
    I copied shell32.dll & renamed it so there would be no conflict withe the original.
    I renamed it My_own.dll.
    LOL
    Be careful not to download a virus or some bad dll with that technique.

    That's why I make my own when possible. I don't always trust the web with dll's.
    Copying backups is OK.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    I download or COPY a dll & put it in a folder to itself.
    No messing around with existing windows dlls.
    I copied shell32.dll & renamed it so there would be no conflict withe the original.
    I renamed it My_own.dll.
    LOL
    Be careful not to download a virus or some bad dll with that technique.

    That's why I make my own when possible. I don't always trust the web with dll's.
    Copying backups is OK.

    I have so much anti-virus & protection I mainly don't need to worry.
    I BOUGHT my stuff & got full protections.
    For example I googled for something & clicked on the link & Avast popped up saying it was known for viruses & other crap, back off & do not continue.
    I can also test things online before I download them.
    This protection COST me but is well worth the price I paid.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
My recycle bin icon won't refresh automatically.
Related Threads
Hi, I'm facing a weird problem wherein if i delete some files , the recycle bin icon does not refresh on it's on , it still shows the empty icon until I press F5 to refresh the desktop , when the icon refreshes to show full recycle bin icon . What to do? :huh: PS:- I'm using Windows 8.1...
Issue: After updating to Chrome version 39.0.2171.99 m, the taskbar icons refresh (turn to white pages then back) on every launch of the browser. Fix: The latest version of Chrome features a new profile management system within the browser. Once Chrome has updated, this feature is accessed...
Recycle bin empty icon in General Support
In my windows 8.1 laptop, when I empty the recycle bin, the desktop icon does not refresh to the empty trashcan icon. How do I fix this bug in 8.1?
Hello, I really try to find a way to get the following issue on MS developers radar. If there is any reliable way to contact them I would be very thankful for a short note. I tried it in the Resources and Tools for IT Professionals | TechNet forum but I got only one response and no one from...
Solved Can't Restore Recycle Bin Icon in General Support
Does anyone have a clue why Recycle Bin is grayed out in Desktop Icon Settings? 13954
Hello, My recycle bin full/empty icons won't refresh automatically. I need to press F-5 key to refresh them. I have tried lots of ways to fix it. I think it may have something to do with the icon cache, not sure though.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook