Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Keeping old stuff

  1. #11


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro




    Let's see who can beat this one. It's something that mymother-in-law had and my wife and I still use it to cover a loaf of bread doughor such things. I don't know how old it is, by I'm 83 and this is from mymother-in-law. In those days a lot of people made their own bread. They boughtflour in 50 pound cloth sacks. Nothing went to waste in those days. They usedthe clothe sacks to make bead sheets, pillow cases and a lot of other things.We still have part of one of the cloth sacks and we still use it. We won't throw it away.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Not fair, Frank! Most of us are not that old! Affectionately kidding of course.

    Those were probably made from thick 100% cotton. Yes? I remember how well things were made back then. Our first refrigerator lasted like 30 or 40 years.

    The oldest things I have is our Lionel and American Flyer train sets. Some of the pieces predate WWII.

    Still thinking about those shoes.......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    About the flour sacks, my wife said that her mom used to do that when she was just a kid. So I would say what we have is probably a good 70 years old. We used it just yesterday as we made some hard-crust bread. We covered the dough with it to let it rise. By the way, the bread was delicious.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    About the flour sacks, my wife said that her mom used to do that when she was just a kid. So I would say what we have is probably a good 70 years old. We used it just yesterday as we made some hard-crust bread. We covered the dough with it to let it rise. By the way, the bread was delicious.
    its 3.30 am here and you just made me extremely hungry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by antspants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    About the flour sacks, my wife said that her mom used to do that when she was just a kid. So I would say what we have is probably a good 70 years old. We used it just yesterday as we made some hard-crust bread. We covered the dough with it to let it rise. By the way, the bread was delicious.
    its 3.30 am here and you just made me extremely hungry
    Well--If you didn't live so darn far away, I'd bake you a loaf.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I've got a USB floppy drive and a box of 3.5 inch floppies. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I've got CD's DVD's for Windows 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000, Vista, XP, 7, 8.0, 8.1. If I dug though some boxes I might even find floppies with Dos and Windows 3.1 on them. I have Office 2003, 2007,2010 and 2013 on disk too. Some Visual Studio stuff to. Why I hang on to some of it I have no idea.

    EDIT: Come to think of it, I have a couple of old floppy drives, an old AGP video card, old modems and sound cards, and some SIMMs and DIMMs. I did however ditch a bunch of really old hardware. It might be time to purge some more stuff.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I've got a USB floppy drive and a box of 3.5 inch floppies. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I've got CD's DVD's for Windows 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000, Vista, XP, 7, 8.0, 8.1. If I dug though some boxes I might even find floppies with Dos and Windows 3.1 on them. I have Office 2003, 2007,2010 and 2013 on disk too. Some Visual Studio stuff to. Why I hang on to some of it I have no idea.

    EDIT: Come to think of it, I have a couple of old floppy drives, an old AGP video card, old modems and sound cards, and some SIMMs and DIMMs. I did however ditch a bunch of really old hardware. It might be time to purge some more stuff.
    That sure is a lot of stuff.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    I copied dos and win 3.1 and following to hard drive and all is still around. Have a cast iron griddle I cooked pancakes on in the 40's. When working in WY in late 1990's the bookkeeper was using dos machine and 8" floppies :-) Never missed a check!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I still have my hospital birth certificate with my tiny foot prints on it.{1955}
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I still have my hospital birth certificate with my tiny foot prints on it.{1955}
    That'll come in handy for when you forget who you are. Apparently it happens to the best of us

    Word of advice, don't use at as a reference to your shoe size.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Related Threads
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums. Is there a method to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Win7 without losing any files? Thanks in advance.
Well, we often hear/read that we should update our drivers regularly, as the newest versions provide more security/stability/functionality/other enhancements. On the other hand OEM manufacturers want their customers to rely only on drivers available on their own support pages, not on components...
Not keeping login details in Browsers & Mail
Ever since I upgraded from 7 to 8.1 the laptop has been progressively getting worse at keeping login details fort eh different sites I use regularly (like this one). It is getting to be very very irritating to have to re enter my login detail when accessing forums Ebay etc etc Have made sure I...
Hi I was told a long time ago NOT to keep my data in c:\users\MyName\My Documents in Windows because it uses up RAM. So as the only user of my computer, for many years I have been keeping my documents c:\docs\ Am I mad? J
I'm running a Win 8 Pro x64 box, with Windows on C: and most of my Applications on D: Is there any way to reinstall windows to C: without breaking my programs on D: ? I mean, a lot of the stuff will still work without any special tricks, but the things with hundreds of hard to find registry...
They are keeping track of us in Installation & Setup
Today I was really amazed. History: In November, I installed the Win8 DE on my HP desktop. Then I got a new Dell desktop on Christmas. I cleared the disk on the HP and gave that system away. Now I just reinstalled Win8 DE on my new Dell. To my great amazement it not only found my desktop...
Not keeping my login... in Chillout Room
Something broken with the cookies? my login is disappearing every time i leave the forum
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook