Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Well, I am back!

  1. #1


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    Well, I am back!


    Wow, this forum must have grown in size because it now shows what a good and bad thread title is when you're going to post something... That used to be like that back on 7 Forums!

    Well, I am back after a sixish month long hiatus from here. Nothing bad happened, I just went on vacation back in June to Seattle and didn't go on here for a week, disconnected my Outlook account that I have for forum notifications from my Windows Phone and had a blast not having to deal with trolls, arguing the same things over and over, and repeating the same instructions on how to use 8 over and over.

    So, I'll say what I'm guessing many "old timers" on here have been waiting for me to say. Nope, didn't discover mac and die. mac os is too grotesque for me to use, Finder's feature set is equivalent to the SkyDrive app on my phone. I do file management on about a daily basis and Finder, nor mac os, will EVER cut it. Yuck, I like red, not grey as my preferred window color.

    Windows 8.1...
    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    OH! MY! GOD! YES! I'm glad Microsoft added things I wanted to see ever since they showed off Windows 8 back in June of 2011! (How weird that was when so many were blown away by 8 back then.) Desktop wallpaper for your Start Screen background, SO MANY COLORS, 50/50 freely resizable app snap, MUCH more PC Settings, and baby tiles. Holy moly, my Start Screen size totally shrunk down in half because of baby tiles, it's awesome! It's also been pretty awesome to upgrade peoples' PCs from Windows 8 that I installed a year ago to 8.1 and show them the nicer benefits of it, like Bing SmartSearch. That is so neat! WOW! In a year's worth of progress, 8.1 is quite nice. I upgraded my dad's PC from Windows 7 to 8.1, and it was literally the smoothest transition ever. This is considering the fact that going from vista to 7 was such a pain the crotch to do and to then go from 7 to 8.1 and literally only showing the very basic things he'll ever need to do; I'm so surprised. The whole reason why I avoided installing Windows 8 on his PC was the frustrating part of learning the Start Screen, but he really wanted me to install 8.1 and was mildly disappointed that I didn't make him aware of Windows 8 before he found out himself... If my father can learn Windows 8.1 and not have any issues with it after a couple days of use, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE. Get with it.


    Speaking of progress and development, that Windows 8.2 concept by that one UI/UX designer, meh. There are some good ideas to it, but I disagree on the execution. I don't like the separation of two UIs for two different inputs, it's too dramatic. All that requires is simply adjusting a few UI changes to adapt to a mouse pointer. The design concept of minimalism can work, it's just that execution and design are key here. I also don't like how he was taking new and innovative concepts and mushing it back into the pit of tried and true concepts and ideas. It's a better idea however to take tried and true things and mush them into the new and innovative. A mini-Start Screen MIGHT be a compromise, but there's SO MUCH more potential beyond the simple Desktop. That did actually inspire me to create something new that does take what we all use and love of the Desktop, and make it more of an efficient workflow. For example, I've seen screenshots of people defiantly posting that the Start Screen is crap and show off their Desktop with a jambalaya of windows over the whole screen but like three windows at most are clearly visible and everything else is covered up. Not efficient, screen estate is being wasted, and it becomes a Wild Windows 2.0 to manage them all along with the Windows 7 style Taskbar. What I've thought of is simply interesting and "expands" screen estate from an 8 inch Dell Venue Pro to a 27 inch 4K screen. And, best of all, it's true multitasking as you can ACTUALLY view ALL of your open windows in the workspace versus a mess of windows typically found on the Desktop as well as be able to manage what windows go where. That you can stay tuned for...

    Ummm...OH YES! I'll be rebuilding, finally, my new PC. I've finalized the general design of the case, I'm still detailing out the smaller details, such as where to put the baby PC, where to put the Xbox motherboard, how large should the motherboard tray be, fan locations, how large is too large of a water cooling radiator and the such. I now have all my parts and got a KILLER of a deal on these two 3 TB hard drives with a 32 gig flash drive, $175!! ('o')

    I'm eagerly awaiting Grand Theft Automobile San Andreas to be released on Windows Phone 8, GTA V on PC, and Windows Phone 8.1. If the assistant software code named Cortana has Jen Taylor's voice from Halo... YES!!!! Holy cow!

    This cryptocurrency thing blows my mind.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Welcome back
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 279
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro


    Welcome back Andy!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Welcome back! I too just got back myself from a month off. We had a few deaths in the family. The wife's mom passed away, then the wife's cat passed away a week later....what a crappy December for us.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Desktop wallpaper for your Start Screen background, SO MANY COLORS, 50/50 freely resizable app snap, MUCH more PC Settings, and baby tiles. Holy moly, my Start Screen size totally shrunk down in half because of baby tiles, it's awesome!
    Yes, these improvements are certainly welcome. Doesn't seem right having to use 3rd parties to do something as drop dead simple as set your desktop wallpaper on the Start Screen. But as a person who strongly disliked the visual change going back and forth between them, this is great.

    Unfortunately, Windows 8.1 has screwed up some very basic things too. For example, once you connect to a wireless network, you can NO longer right click and tell Windows to forget that network. So, in a corporate environment where you might have a kiosk machine and somebody walks up and puts in their Windows credentials, they are now stuck there. You can however go out and run manual netsh commands from the command prompt to fix that issue.

    No ability to install the SkyDrive app if you choose to go without logging in with an @Live account.

    Overall though, the improvements in the UI make it a worthwhile upgrade in my humble opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The whole reason why I avoided installing Windows 8 on his PC was the frustrating part of learning the Start Screen, but he really wanted me to install 8.1 and was mildly disappointed that I didn't make him aware of Windows 8 before he found out himself... If my father can learn Windows 8.1 and not have any issues with it after a couple days of use, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE. Get with it.
    Couple of people at work got WIndows 8 PC's for home and have complained to me already about the Start Screen. Just hooking them up with a Start menu (classic shell or start8) and setting most default apps to use classic desktop versions and they are now just happy as a clam.



    Welcome back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Welcome back!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Welcome back! I too just got back myself from a month off. We had a few deaths in the family. The wife's mom passed away, then the wife's cat passed away a week later....what a crappy December for us.
    Oh that's too bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Desktop wallpaper for your Start Screen background, SO MANY COLORS, 50/50 freely resizable app snap, MUCH more PC Settings, and baby tiles. Holy moly, my Start Screen size totally shrunk down in half because of baby tiles, it's awesome!
    Yes, these improvements are certainly welcome. Doesn't seem right having to use 3rd parties to do something as drop dead simple as set your desktop wallpaper on the Start Screen. But as a person who strongly disliked the visual change going back and forth between them, this is great.

    Unfortunately, Windows 8.1 has screwed up some very basic things too. For example, once you connect to a wireless network, you can NO longer right click and tell Windows to forget that network. So, in a corporate environment where you might have a kiosk machine and somebody walks up and puts in their Windows credentials, they are now stuck there. You can however go out and run manual netsh commands from the command prompt to fix that issue.

    No ability to install the SkyDrive app if you choose to go without logging in with an @Live account.

    Overall though, the improvements in the UI make it a worthwhile upgrade in my humble opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The whole reason why I avoided installing Windows 8 on his PC was the frustrating part of learning the Start Screen, but he really wanted me to install 8.1 and was mildly disappointed that I didn't make him aware of Windows 8 before he found out himself... If my father can learn Windows 8.1 and not have any issues with it after a couple days of use, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE. Get with it.
    Couple of people at work got WIndows 8 PC's for home and have complained to me already about the Start Screen. Just hooking them up with a Start menu (classic shell or start8) and setting most default apps to use classic desktop versions and they are now just happy as a clam.



    Welcome back.
    Glad to know you're liking 8.1.

    See, that's an odd ball, I don't get why that would be taken out, the forgetting a network. Before it would ask if this is a public network or a home network in the Settings flyout, but it doesn't. It seems to default to either a Private or Public network, there is a switch to change that in PC Settings however, but strange that it wouldn't be there anymore...

    The idea with logging into a Microsoft Account is not just for SkyDrive, but for everything else that requires signing in, like Xbox Music for streaming, Xbox Live for game achievements, and to remember most of you in-app settings. That, and syncing over Start Screen layout, personalization settings, favorites, and Start Screen pins. That's freaking fancy right there! Although it's odd, I made a custom image of Windows 8.1 Core and I wanted to get the Start Screen layout to copy over as I had it set. Well, I thought the CopyProfile setting in the answer file when I sysprepped would do it, but it seems when I log into a new account with a dummy Outlook account I made, it copies the Start Screen layout PERFECTLY. Without it, it's just the default layout. Very strange indeed.

    I'm glad to be back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 22,581
    64-bit Windows 10


    Welcome back Andy. It's good to see you here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Geez. It’s about time! I thought something nasty happened to you. Had me concerned. Welcome back!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Threads
Back or not? in General Support
I upgraded the laptop from 7 to 8 then 8.1 and at first it was good being both fast and I could run it in 7 style (Stardock) but just lately it has become very finicky not remembering password's. the wifi dropping out randomly, and one feature I do not like is having to go to the 8 PDF opening app...
Need to get back to IE9 in Browsers & Mail
Ok I have reinstalled 8 as I mucked up the first and I need IE9 instead of 10 because my pay office software doesn't get supported in 10. So before I do anything stupid like I did before how do I disable 10 and install iE9 so I can access my pay system.
I'm Back in Chillout Room
I'm back and ready to begin dual-booting, after settling in with my new computers. :) Spent a lot of time with family and want to see you guys back at Eight Forums. All of my PC's are up and running with a fresh copy of Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. Now, I am considering a dual-boot, but with...
Best Way To Back Up my PC? in Performance & Maintenance
I recently upgraded to Windows 8 pro and I have very little experience when it comes to backing up my system. I wanted to get some opinions on the best way to back up my PC. I created a System Restore point today and I noticed that I was given the option to create a System Restore point for all the...
I'm back in Chillout Room
I just installed 8 PR on my laptop....boy it's been awhile...damn I have to re-learn 8 all over again... So far everything seems to working...
Back Up in General Support
I backed up my system for security. But where did it go! I can't find it anywhere. I like to know where files are stored. Tully
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook